Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/15/2009 6:15:26 AM EDT
So I was able to get Windows 7 professional free because of school, so I figured I would. It sure is purty. Way more than XP. Also, everything seems to start up and go faster than with XP too. This whole thing is neato. One thing, it only took me about half an hour to install it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been running RC1 on my netbook for about three months, I really like it as well.  I actually left the aero bling that I turned off in Vista on in Win 7, it doesn't seem to degrade system performance that much.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I am posting from Windows 7.

Sorry
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking of installing it on my laptop to make things faster. Doing the back up is going to suck
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Got my work laptop reimmaged with our Win7 Enterprise immage.  Runs very smooth and fast so far.  It seems to be what Vista should have been.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Microsoft Technet subscription so I get the full Ultimate version of Win7.

I've been very impressed with it. Never installed Vista for long on any of my computers but Windows 7 is here to stay.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#7]
It sure seems to take up quite a bit of space though. My 270 gig partition has 216 gb free after just installing windows 7.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sorry

yeah I'm sorry you spent too much money too.
just got finished installing win7 Monday I used the RC for a while then I went back to XP when I re imaged my PC. figgured since I was gonna reformat and get all ready for Aion may as well take advantage of the $20 win7 that was posted in team.

Edit oh and a fresh install was 11.5 gigs or so.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#9]
$20 windows 7 in team? Where was that?

Although I got this for free.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of installing it on my laptop to make things faster. Doing the back up is going to suck

Easy.
Transfer.
Wizard.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It sure seems to take up quite a bit of space though. My 270 gig partition has 216 gb free after just installing windows 7.

Um, you got something else taking up the space.

I installed Windows 7 on my 64GB SSD drive and it consumes about 6GB (pagefile turned off, restore points turned off, recycle bin turned off)

ETA: You may want to try a program like SpaceMonger which lets you see visually what's taking up your hard drive space, like so...

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Did you install on a blank partition or on a partition that previously held another version of Windows?

If it previously had XP or Vista on it then all of the windows and user files got moved to /windows.old (or something like that)

Edit to add: just checked on a computer I put Win7 on and the windows.old folder there was 19.2GB of unwanted crap. the windows folder (Win 7 ultimate with everything installed still takes up 13GB though). That doesn't bother me as hard drive space is cheap but when I go to install it on my netbook net week I may need to do some trimming so it doesn't use too much of the 64GB SSD.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I installed it on my new i7 build and it's darn fast , just as fast or even faster than the version of XP installed on my SSD drive (And the ssd drive has data transfer rates 3x faster than the platter drive win7 is on).

I'll definitely be getting a copy when it comes out, it seems to be very very nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
windows 7 ftw. wmp 12 makes it easy as shit to stream media to my ps3
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I installed mines on Vista home preminum on my laptop......and it went in very well I suppose...I like it and I might just buy it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I can get it through school too, and have the ISOs and everything.

I am just dreading having to reinstall everything (I have an enormous amount of shit that I actually use on my computer) yet again
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Is Win7 64bit or is that another version?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Most techs have had retail for months now with MSDN lol
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#19]
MS made a operating system that's FASTER than the one it replaces?  Is it more secure too?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Win7 is the goods.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Can you upgrade to Windows 7 from XP ??
5sub
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, you got something else taking up the space.

I installed Windows 7 on my 64GB SSD drive and it consumes about 6GB (pagefile turned off, restore points turned off, recycle bin turned off)

ETA: You may want to try a program like SpaceMonger which lets you see visually what's taking up your hard drive space, like so...

http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/img/treemap.gif

SpaceMonger huh........looks pretty neat.

http://download.cnet.com/SpaceMonger/3000-2248_4-10050288.html
5sub

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd like to know also...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I can get it through school too, and have the ISOs and everything.

I am just dreading having to reinstall everything (I have an enormous amount of shit that I actually use on my computer) yet again

Do a fresh install of Win 7, install all your programs, then ghost the hard drive and burn the resulting ghost image to a couple dvd's!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
MS made a operating system that's FASTER than the one it replaces?  Is it more secure too?

Yes, Windows 7 is the best OS they have released so far in my opinion. The firewall is very robust you can configure inbound and outbound rules in advanced settings, as well as create your own. I am running the enterprise version so i have all the bells and whistles. Also if you have applications that havent been made compatible with Win 7 you can use XP virtual mode and run anything you want. You do not have to spawn the virtual machine either just to run apps you can go to the start menu and open virtual XP mode applications and run them straight from there. It also has Media center built into it so if you want to use your PC as a tivo you can do that too it is very well thought out, although i am sure some die hard MAC guy will be along shortly to tell us why his boutique OS is more secure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to know also...

It's 64bit and 32bit.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know also...

Just as with Vista there are both 32 and 64 bit versions.  It's the same core, after all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sorry

LOL!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to know also...

Windows 7 comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors.

Unless you're running on an older computer, your computer should x64 compatible.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]

ETA this isnt a power rig and it runs pretty damn fast

Auto Cadd 2010 as well
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know also...

I am running the 64 bit version it is very fast, opens applications with no issues my PC has been running for 4 weeks now without a reboot and i have not had any issues with it. Our linux guy here at work has all but sworn off Linux since he has been using Win7, Even some of the MAC addicts are loving it so far.

Really most PCs now should be good to run the 64 bit version.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Congrats it runs very smooth for me too. Running RC1 here.

In before the Steve Jobs spoon feeders...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Congrats it runs very smooth for me too. Running RC1 here.

In before the Steve Jobs spoon feeders...

Well I bet him just like I have been for a little over a month now have been running the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) version. Yeah the same version you get when you buy the disc in the store, no time limits on when it stops working.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Sorry

Yeah, OSX is the SHITS!!!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So I was able to get Windows 7 professional free because of school, so I figured I would. It sure is purty. Way more than XP. Also, everything seems to start up and go faster than with XP too. This whole thing is neato. One thing, it only took me about half an hour to install it.

I have a free licensed copy as well from school
i cant bring myself to install it
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send it to me. I'd love to have windows 7!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I find this space monger app very cool:

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm posting from Mac OS X Leopard.  Not a virus yet.  Let us know how micro$oft's latest failure turns out

ETA: I used to HATE Apple products..... that was until I installed Vista on my homebuilt PC.  What a joke.  I went Mac, never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have a Microsoft Technet subscription so I get the full Ultimate version of Win7.

I've been very impressed with it. Never installed Vista for long on any of my computers but Windows 7 is here to stay.

Good information MarkNH, and good thread OP.  I've been wondering whether or not to make the leap on my laptop.  At the moment, it's XP, but I passed on Vista when I saw my friends' pain.  Subscribed for more opinions...

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

same... but not on this computer yet... waiting for end of semester for this one.

Put it on my tower and it is wonderful.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

hurr durr durr?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Currently running RC1, but I started with Beta and have had zero issues.  Now I am just trying to find a legal copy I can afford.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#44]
This thread is now about e-penis Windows Experience numbers.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm posting from Mac OS X Leopard.  Not a virus yet.  Let us know how micro$oft's latest failure turns out

ETA: I used to HATE Apple products..... that was until I installed Vista on my homebuilt PC.  What a joke.  I went Mac, never looked back.

Well I just got done lastnight getting Snow Leopard installed on my hackintosh. vanilla kernal from $29 disk.. everything works, 64 and 32 bit on the fly.. Unlike win 7 where is seperate installs for 64 and 32..
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Windows 7 is the best OS they have released so far in my opinion. The firewall is very robust you can configure inbound and outbound rules in advanced settings, as well as create your own. I am running the enterprise version so i have all the bells and whistles. Also if you have applications that havent been made compatible with Win 7 you can use XP virtual mode and run anything you want. You do not have to spawn the virtual machine either just to run apps you can go to the start menu and open virtual XP mode applications and run them straight from there. It also has Media center built into it so if you want to use your PC as a tivo you can do that too it is very well thought out, although i am sure some die hard MAC guy will be along shortly to tell us why his boutique OS is more secure.

I'm a die hard Mac guy and all that sounds pretty cool to me.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have used a microsoft OS for the past 8 years or so.  Have never installed any sort of anti-virus program and still have yet to get a virus...  Just sayin...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think there are two versions like in Vista.

32bit and 64bit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This thread is now about e-penis Windows Experience numbers.

My netbook with it's lightning fast Atom processor and massive 2 gigs of ram blows all those fancy systems away.  I think the number is about a 2.0 but don't give two shits, it runs plenty fast and 100% stable.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Ok, you win:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top