Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 6:16:04 AM EDT
Heat: Special Edition R Thrillers Shipping today  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I love it too...except that my mailman has stolen 11 of the movies sent to me!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Good but annoying. At first they ship real quick but now after like two months they are starting to drag their feet and it seems i can't get more than 2 disks at a time  even though i pay for the three disk option.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good but annoying. At first they ship real quick but now after like two months they are starting to drag their feet and it seems i can't get more than 2 disks at a time  even though i pay for the three disk option.

Interesting.  I just started.  The distrobution center is like a 40 minute drive from my apartment, so it is not taking long for the mail to get there or to me..

I mailed them back two of my three movies on Tuesday, I got my next two from them in my mailbox on Thursday.  I also am doing the 3 disc option.  I have not had a problem....yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never had a problem w/ Netflix other than a few disks being lost in the mail and I've been using them for about 3 years now.  Shipment is really fast too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
get 'the office'
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.manuelsweb.com/netflixcalculator.htm

Never had that problem.

I nearly always get two or three day turnaround.
Of course, I am renting non-popular discs, so
YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Take a look at the shipping address on the return envelope.  Sometimes if the shipping center closest to  you doesnt have a dvd, they will ship it from one further away.  Thats why sometimes they take longer to arrive.  When sending them back, instead of sending one to the center further away, combine 2 in one envelope and send them to the place thats closer.  So far they receive the dvds the day after I mail them and send out the new ones that same day but my shipping center is only about 20 min away
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  I just started.  The distrobution center is like a 40 minute drive from my apartment, so it is not taking long for the mail to get there or to me..

I mailed them back two of my three movies on Tuesday, I got my next two from them in my mailbox on Thursday.  I also am doing the 3 disc option.  I have not had a problem....yet.

i had the same problem at first i was getting about 4-6 disk a week.after about 2 months i was lucky to get 3  a week.after almost a year with them i was down to 1-2 a week.their distribution center is about 3o miles from where i live.i even mailed them back from the same town they are located in.in the beging  i would mail them about 2:30 pm and by moring the showed up as received on the web site.by the end it took 2-3 days to show up received on their site.

after awhile of not making money from you it gets slower and slower on the delivery.they want you to cancel

blockbuster is even worse.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
My netflix service used to be good.  This year the service has really sucked.  

It used to go like this.  I would mail the dvds on back on Saturday or Friday.  They get the movies Monday and send out new ones on Monday.  I would get the new movies on Tuesday watch one or two.  I would mail some of the flicks back on Wensday and  then would get more flicks on Friday.  

Last year I was averging 5 to 6 movies a week.  

Now this year they don't mail new dvd untill the next day after they get the old ones.   Now I am lucky if I get 4 movies a week.

So my bang for the buck has gone down.   It was a great deal is now a so-so deal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I was a member for 3 years. I got 5 movies a week. All new releases that I wanted to see on the day they were released. They never slowed down on turning around my movies. They were as predictable as clockwork.

I the 3 years, I had 4 shipping problems.

I cancelled my subscription because, now that I live in Florida, I just couldn't keep up with 20+ movies a month.

Mail your movie back to them on Friday. Have the new releases at the top of your queue. They will mail the new releases to you on Monday. You will have them Tuesday or Wednesday. Watch and remail on Friday.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I was a Netflix member for a month.  The service was horrible.  Closest distribution center (Charlottesville) is a 5 hour drive away.  Mail takes about 2 days to make the trip.  The DVD was getting to me in 2 days.  They would take 4-7 days to check the DVD back in.  In that one month, I got 6 discs on the 2 out plan.  Less than 2 a week.

I took advantage of an offer from Blockbuster Online to switch to their service for the same price as what I was paying for Netflix, first two months free.  So I switched to BbO, 3 out plan, first two months free, and I got two free DVD coupons from BbO as well.  That in addition to the two free in-store rentals you get every month.

I've been averaging 12 discs a month from BbO.  Usually get 3-5 discs per week.  When I first signed up, all of my discs were going back to Charlotte.  I think they closed that center, as all of my discs have been going back to Atlanta for the last two months.  I'm still getting ultra fast service.  I expect it to slow down any day, but they don't seem to be prone to throttling like Netflix.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Take a look at the shipping address on the return envelope.  Sometimes if the shipping center closest to  you doesnt have a dvd, they will ship it from one further away.  Thats why sometimes they take longer to arrive.  When sending them back, instead of sending one to the center further away, combine 2 in one envelope and send them to the place thats closer.  So far they receive the dvds the day after I mail them and send out the new ones that same day but my shipping center is only about 20 min away

Where in NY is there shipping center?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of mine go to Flushing
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of mine go to Flushing

That's a 30 min drive from where I live.  I guess if I subscribed, I would have great service, huh?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I considered doing Netflix... once I can figure out how to rip DVDs and copy them to blanks, I'll be all over it!  :P
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm very close to a distribution center.  Typically 1 business day for the movie to get there and they usually ship out the same day.  I go through 12 DVDs per month.  Netflix rules!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Red Dawn is my next movie, but there is a "short wait".

If all you MO-Fo's would take it off your list, maybe I would get it before Christmas!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Red Dawn is my next movie, but there is a "short wait".

If all you MO-Fo's would take it off your list, maybe I would get it before Christmas!

Its for sale at walmart for $7.77!  Go buy it!  One can not simply rent Red Dawn.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I considered doing Netflix... once I can figure out how to rip DVDs and copy them to blanks, I'll be all over it!  :P

Silly!! That is illegal!!

[invisible ink]

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/ (Software)
http://www.plextor.com (search Plextor DVD burner)
http://www.meritline.com  (DVD Media bulk)

[/invisible ink]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]
the only problem I've ever had was my mailman stealing every single dvd that they sent me.  I changed my shipping address to a friends place a block away (with a different mailman) and have had zero problems since.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Silly!! That is illegal!!

[invisible ink]

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/ (Software)
http://www.plextor.com (search Plextor DVD burner)
http://www.meritline.com  (DVD Media bulk)

[/invisible ink]

[invisible reply] I found some stuff that works... make a 'backup copy' of one of my DVDs to test!   [/invisible reply]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.manuelsweb.com/netflixcalculator.htm

I think this is pretty accurate.  If I'm not renting many movies, my turnaround time (from when I ship a movie back to when I get the replacement) is about 4 days.  If I'm renting more frequently, my turnaround time mysteriously increases to about twice that.  If it takes more than 3 days for them to receive a movie, I report a shipping problem, and they have to ship my next movie immediately.  They magically "receive" the old movie a couple days later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I had two discs that hadn't shown up at Netflix in 8 days.  I reported them missing one morning and they magically showed up that afternoon.

8 days to go 200 miles?  Sure thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Two days to get to me, 8 days to get back?

Last two I sent back after I cancelled my membership made it back in a day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I signed up today for a trial...  I selected the 2 DVDs at a time, unlimited per month.   Have about 10 movies on the list so far.  Hopefully it won't take forever to get here like some of you guys mentioned!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]
What I liked about them is that when I reported those 11 dvds missing, not once did they think it was my fault or that I was stealing them.  They immediately sent out replacements (which would also end up missing).  They even credited me for 3 months of service!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Netflix....

BuyBlue.org's Rating:
(What do the ratings mean?)
Rating: Light Blue - 72 %

BuyBlue.org's Position:
Netflix currently has a 72% BuyBlue rating due to political contributions for the 2003-2004 election cycle. Netflix executives contributed to Democratic organizations and candidates John Kerry, Howard Dean, and Barbara Boxer.

Yeah...keep on supporting ole' Boxer and the gang!!!!  

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Netflix....

BuyBlue.org's Rating:
(What do the ratings mean?)
Rating: Light Blue - 72 %

BuyBlue.org's Position:
Netflix currently has a 72% BuyBlue rating due to political contributions for the 2003-2004 election cycle. Netflix executives contributed to Democratic organizations and candidates John Kerry, Howard Dean, and Barbara Boxer.

Yeah...keep on supporting ole' Boxer and the gang!!!!  

They are called movies.  Movies are made using actors, directors and many other people from hollywierd.  Watching movies period supports liberals, does not matter where you get them from.  But I am not giving up movies. Are you?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
This is a great web site about Netflix, Hacking Netflix dot com..
www.hackingnetflix.com/

Questions? Lost DVD? Call Netflix at 800-279-5688 or 888-638-3549
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been using Netflix for about 8 months, and am quite pleased with the turnaround times.  In particular, they usually seem to receive returned DVDs incredibly fast... I mean, most of the time if I drop the DVD in the mailbox down the street before that day's pickup, I get a notification the next morning from Netflix that it was received.  I don't see how they can get them that quick!

Shipping time to me is usually quite fast (1 or 2 days) also.  DVDs almost always arrive before they say they will.

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've been using Netflix for about 8 months, and am quite pleased with the turnaround times.  In particular, they usually seem to receive returned DVDs incredibly fast... I mean, most of the time if I drop the DVD in the mailbox down the street before that day's pickup, I get a notification the next morning from Netflix that it was received.  I don't see how they can get them that quick!

Shipping time to me is usually quite fast (1 or 2 days) also.  DVDs almost always arrive before they say they will.

--Mike

Hell, once, I dropped a dvd in the box for the 2:30 pick-up and I received notification that they got it that night around 11pm
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Don't forget that all of these go through USPS, which I think we can agree is not the bastion of efficiency, so I don't think Netflix is always to blame.

I've had 1st class mail take thirty days to go from CA to TN.  Just recently, they lost an order of stickers from one of my suppliers...  $700 worth of stickers.  Luckily they insured it.

I drop my movies off at the main post office on my way to work.  The distribution center is a few blocks away from the main branch.  In most case it should get there the next day, but sometimes they to not "recieve" it for 3 or 4 days.  hmmmmm?  

Occassionally I watch all 3 of my movies on the weekend and mail them all back Monday morning.  Why do they not "recieve" them all at the same time?  Realistically, I should have 3 new movies by Thursday at the latest.

They should be sending me love notes.  Sometimes I go an entire month without watching a movie. Yet, Netflix never sends me a new release from the top of my queue.  hmmmm?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I love Netflix. There is a distribution hub real close, so my movies have a 2 day turnaround.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I get all my movies through my local library. They have just about anything you could want, and it costs nothing to rent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top