Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2007 10:51:48 PM EDT
Some of you may remember that about a month ago I posted a thread about losing weight.  well I am now down to 197 and I am feeling good.

Now, on Oct 2,  my brother and I are going in for a kidney transplant operation.  I am giving him my left kidney because his have both stopped functioning.  We are both in pretty good shape so the doctors aren't worried about complications, but as always, it is surgury and s*** happens.  

Your good will, positive thoughts, and prayers would be appreciated.  It can't hurt, that is for sure.

I love this board because everyone is very charitable, thanks for everything I have personally taken away from here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
my best wishes and prayers are with you and your brother.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What are your first names so I can say a proper prayer?

Good luck man. I hope your family knows what a damn fine man you are.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
May GOD continue to bless you and your family.  If everyone had a relative or friend like you the world would be abetter place. I pray that everything goes well before,during and after your procedures.

Keep us posted please.

I hope the good Lord sees fit to bring you both through this well.
It is His will that will be done,not ours.

Prayers enroute.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Now, on Oct 2,  my brother and I are going in for a kidney transplant operation.  I am giving him my left kidney because his have both stopped functioning.  
Wow, that's amazing.  Good on you for giving up a part of yourself so someone else can live.

The best of luck to both of you!
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Prayers have been made for you and your brother.  I'm going on 11 years out from a transplant.  I hope you both have an easy recovery.  Please tell your brother to follow the doc's instructions now and for the rest of his life.  Too many folks I have known got cavalier about their meds after a while because they felt fine.  It seems the longer you're out, the more the temptation to "play" with your doses.  This usually proves fatal.  Godspeed to you both.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be praying for ya!!!

God bless you, bro.... Thats a great thing to do!
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh man.  He better buy the beer from now on, no arguing.

Best of luck, man.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:41:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Very best wishes for the surgery being a great success!

Not everyone would do that - even for their brother. Congratulations on being a good human being! I hope you've had kids . . . The world could sure use some more decent people!

Godspeed and a quick recovery for you both.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#11]
fck, wish I could help

I hope the best for you two, you'll be fine
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck to both of you guys. You're doing a damn fine thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Good luck and prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#15]
My cousin's wife gave up a kidney for her mom.  I certainly hold her in very high regards.  I regard you with the same awe and respect, atomicferret.  

Prayers and best wishes sent for you and your brother.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is worthless without pics...

And, what a hell of a selfless gesture. I can't imagine anything better. You have my admiration, and prayers.

This page 2 is for you!

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Good luck, Ill be in the same boat as you. Whats your recovery time? I saw something on tv about kidneys and was curious.

Ill be having a heller myotomy with partial dor flundlipication at 1030am on oct 2. Bascially they cut the lower sphincter muscle of the esophagus and wrap the stomach around the base of the espohagus.

Ill have 1-3 days in the hospital and 2 weeks of hanging out with you on ARFCOM (no work or play.

Your a good brother.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
The Doc said that if I get a disposable camera, one of the orderlies can snap some pics.  Then I can make this a thread full of WIN!

Quoted:
This thread is worthless without pics...

And, what a hell of a selfless gesture. I can't imagine anything better. You have my admiration, and prayers.

This page 2 is for you!

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]
It has been six days and I am back at home.  A kidney transplant isn't a walk in the park, but at least it leaves my legs and arms unaffected.  If you ever know someone who needs one, and you can give...do it.  Other than that, I wouldn't do it on a whim.

On the plus side:
(1) I got to experience the wonders of morphine and Lortab. (2) a clear liquids diet sucks

Thanks to everyone who has given support!

My internet connection sucks, or else I put up pics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, that's pretty awesome...no other gift could compare.  I'd do the same for my brother, without question.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the update man, rest up now
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:53:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow.  Truly a frightening family:  "I went to sleep on my brother's couch, and woke up the next morning in a bathtub full of ice with a note next to me saying don't move and call an ambulance, because he'd taken my kidney!"  

j/k.  Very good of you.  Hope both of your recoveries go smoothly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Bless you for being so generous.

I hope you both have speedy recoveries.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad to hear you are both doing well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top