Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:32:38 AM EDT
So my Supervisor is a Navy Seabee and they have their rifle and pistol quals coming up.  He is a former Marine so he is not too worried about the rifle Q course, but he can't shoot a pistol to save his life (yet).  He asked me to show him how to do it.  I am excited.  My question is: What is the course of fire to qualify with a pistol in the Navy?  I want to know how I need to gear his training..
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Fucking Squids
Hehe!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
All I know is that it is done at 25 yards. They have a range just south of me that has both pistol and rifle ranges. All I ever see is the Seabee's shooting their pistols at 25 yards. Nothing fancy just stand there and shoot at the target.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Course of fire shouldn't matter too much, IMO. If one can shoot, they can shoot.

Have him do some dry firing & go from there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Find someone with a .50 BMG pistol, he'll learn real quick....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Sight picture, pause breathing, slowly squeeze trigger straight back, keep both thumbs pointing towards the target, keep wrist straight and dont flex or pull with them, use the first finger pad only. If all this fails tell him to charge the target and grab it by the back of its head and place the barrel against the x ring and empty the magazine and don't forget the insane yelling war cry during the whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
give his shoulder a work out with a 12 ga.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a link to the opnav instructions as of 2004
http://neds.daps.dla.mil/directives/3591_1d.pdf

basically shot at 3 yards, 7 yards, 15 yards, then 25 yards.
180 to qualify out of a possible 240 points.
It even tells you how many rounds for each position.
I would see what he can hit up close and then go to the farthest distance. It is 9mm now, so you can help with the flinch if that is what it is. you may also consider finding a 22 to start him out with if flinch is the problem.
I knew a guy that learned on a 45. After a while, he couldn't hit a 8x11 paper 3 feet infront of him.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fucking Squids

Well, he was a Marine and then went into the Navy, so at least he's moving up.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
dry fire dry fire and dry fire with a quarter on top of the pistol.  If you flinch or jerk it right or left the coin will fall of.  then get him to a range and let him get some range time

And fer Gawds sake make sure it is empty, and chamber clear ALL THE TIME when dryfiring.

Once he gets the hang of focusing on the front sight, and keeping it pointed in the right direction at the target correctly he should have no problems at 25 yards.

I qualified Expert every time I shot pistols in the Navy and Navy Reserve, qualifying isn't that hard.    Although they made me reshoot once when I got about 125 out of a possible 100 in one slowfire round.  And that didn't include the holes in the white.  Seems that one or both of the shooters next to me weren't real sure which was their target and which was mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top