Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 9:24:40 AM EDT
The state of New jersey is and has denied the right to carry a firearm in direct violation of our own state Constitution which promises these rights posted below,(unalienable rights I might add)

"
                                  ARTICLE I

RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES

Sec. 1.   All persons  are  by nature free  and independent, and  have
         certain  natural  and  unalienable  rights,  among which are
         those of  enjoying and  defending life  and liberty,  of ac-
         quiring, possessing,  and protecting  property, and  of pur-
         suing and obtaining safety and happiness

[url]http://www.harbornet.com/rights/newjersy.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#2]
jrzy

Interesting idea,  has this ever been tried ? NJ seems to have a very anti-gun mindset and I'm not to sure how well you would do.  Being a fellow Jersey boy I'm would be interested in see what your plans are ?

JoeyD
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, good luck with that.  Knock yourself out. I hope you've got about $25,000 saved up for the legal fees.
View Quote

I am lucky enough that i have done well in my own business for the last 20 years,and the wife just gave it the green light also,the $25,000 will come down a bit by using paralegals and a very well known gun lawyer named Evan nappen(I hope).
I think that the way to go is to get this into Fed. court and out of the NJ judges hands.
If it starts looking good for us i'm sure the NRA and some like minded groups will come on board (again I hope).

It may not grant the power to carry a gun ,but how else are we expected to:"defending life"
"protecting property" "pursuing and obtaining safety",it is pretty clear to me that that was the intention of our founding fathers to grant us the ability to protect ourselves.
How do you guys interpret this?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
jrzy

Interesting idea,  has this ever been tried ? NJ seems to have a very anti-gun mindset and I'm not to sure how well you would do.  Being a fellow Jersey boy I'm would be interested in see what your plans are ?

JoeyD
View Quote

I just made some calls on this and it seems that no one has ever tried this ,so far as anyone has ever heard,that is good news because it will make news right away and bring in some support.
I wonder if some of the anti gunners in this state have been worried about someone trying this?
I'll bet they have.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I say GO FOR IT! Its working in Ohio. More power to ya. Long live CCW.[^]
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
DO IT!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#7]
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You have my support!!

We need more people to do this who can afford it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Defending life and protecting property? Well, that's what the police and yer two feet are for, boy....or so I think the judge would say. See, here's the beauty of it....using a firearm is not the only way to defend life/liberty/property, so by denying you that one method does not deny you of that right. For example, denying you the right to shout fire in a crowded hall when there is no fire doesn't deny you the right to free speech.

May I make a recommendation or two?

1. If you can, get Evan Nappen on it. I doubt if anyone out there is more familiar with and has worked with New Jersey Firearms laws than him. Honestly, I'd go by his opinion on whether or not this has a chance of working.
2. If you have not done so, apply for the permit. Wait the time necessary, document everything. You will be denied, but without this I think the case would have much less credibility.
3. 2C:58-4e allows you to request a hearing regarding the denial of the permit. Do so. Find out EXACLTY why you were denied, and obtain all relevant paperwork. If they don't have the hearing within 30 days (the law), you then have an extra whammy for the case.
4. It might help to find several other individuals of good character who have also been denied their right to carry, and have them join in the suit. Possible also have one or more of the NJ gun organizations involved (not the NRA branch....smaller, local groups).
5. Please...and I know this sounds harsh...please don't expect anything more than getting some news. NJ courts are not overly fond of the right to own firearms, and they are especially uncaring of the right to carry. Our federal appeals court isn't much better, either. Legislation has been lingering for more than three years now to loosen firearms laws with regards to concealed carry, to no avail.

Other than that, if you are willing to do it I say go for it. Maybe it'll be the 'shot heard round the state', so to speak. If I weren't so damn poor, I'd apply for my denial of permit and join a suit like that. This I think is one of the reasons why NJ has had such a tough time with RKBA...not a lot of people willing to push like this on their own volition. Either way you go...kudos to you sir.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
hard-case
Thats what i was thinking and if we get going on this and Evan thinks we might have a chance if you would like to be included I don't think it will be much more than filing for myself and I will absorb your costs.
Evan And I have already won one battle with a town here and I talk to him a few times a month.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome!  Stand up for your rights, cause it's obvious that noone else is going to do it for you!  Best Wishes!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]
WTF,It's only money,and I sure can't spend it if i'm dead because i could not protect myself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I suggest that you do a lot of research on your own because if you depend on any lawyers you are not going to get the real story.
First, NJ already has a carry law. It has been overcome by a judicial order handed down a number of years ago by judicial decree. That is contrary to the rule of law.
This needs to be fought by attorney's who are not part of the problem and I'm sorry to say Nappen is one of them. He is in the system and has to be part of it in order to conduct his practice.
There are few attorney's or judges in this country who actually abide by the law.
In any case I live in NJ and you have my support and help if you want it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top