Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 2:39:17 AM EDT
I am going to purchase a threaded G19 barrel and it is in the stainless finish.

I want it to have the covert-like look to it, so What method would you use to
re-finish it?

I am looking at just plain ol' blueing..........is that the way to go or is there another
way you guys would reccomend me using?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Glocks use a tenifer finish on their metal parts... you might look into having that done.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Glocks use a tenifer finish on their metal parts... you might look into having that done.

From the "It must be true, because I read it on the Internet" file: Because of EPA rules Tenifer process may not be legally done in the USA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]
get a Jarvis.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
If it is truly "Stainless Steel" (not simply "in the white") then it probably will not take a traditional gun blue. I have had very good results with "Aluma-Hyde" from Brownell's when used on SS. I clean the parts with denatured alcohol first then hit the parts with a heat gun for a few seconds (not to heat the parts but to dry any remaining alcohol and get the part just above room temp so I don't trap moisture between the finish and the metal. Apply the "Aluma-Hyde" as directed on the can, let it fully cure (I give it a week) and you should be good to go. I have used this product on a SS Mini-30 and a SS AR barrel. Both still look sharp.

ETA:
I just re-read your post. "Aluma-Hyde" is a paint so I don't know how well it would work on threads if you actually intended to install (and remove) a legal supressor or fake can, MB, etc.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot it until the powder burns stain it black.  Anything else is not manly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
get a Jarvis.

Just to let you know, Jarvis G19 1/2x28 threaded barrels are backordered at least eight weeks.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Glock doesn't make stainless barrels in the white. It must be an aftermarket barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the "It must be true, because I read it on the Internet" file: Because of EPA rules Tenifer process may not be legally done in the USA.

It is done in the US but under a differnet name - Melonite.  It is also known as Salt Bath Nitriding.

finishing.com

Burlington Engineering

SUPERIOR SHOT PEENING, INC.

Burlington has done firearms in the past and should be able to help you out.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen good results using Caswell's 'Stainless Steel Blackener 370', about $21 a pint.

Bottom of the list;    www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a Sharpie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top