Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 3:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 5:58:56 PM EDT by ecgRN]
I went to renew my DL this morning as I had done several times before, and aside from the typical DMV bull**it I figured it would be painless.....WRONG.

I waited in line, and waited, and waited....finally took the eye test (tip: the red dot is INSIDE the box), and was told that the state of CT had put a suspension on my renewal. The wierd part was that I had a CT DL eighteen years ago!!!!! Of course the CO DMV was no help. In fact the dude said, and I quote "We don't help people with stuff like this, we just tell them where to go.."

I called the CT DMV, they said I had an unpaid ticket in MD. Hmmmmm.
The MD DMV had NO record of any in fraction and had me call the MD District Court. Yes, indeed I had an unpaid $25 dollar ticket.

I asked them how I could have "flown under the radar" for the last twenty years, and the told me that after 9/11 the Patriot Act opend up all the records to the DMVs nation wide as far back as the 60's.

Now I have to pay the fine in MD, send CT 125 clams to lift the suspension, wait three weeks for the mail/processing in order to renew my CO license that I've had for sixteen years. CRAP!!

Pardon the rant, but I came off a 12hour shift this am only to find a line of 40 people outside at 0730, stood in line for an hour and a half only to be DENIED!! Then I spent at least three hours on the phone with three diffrent states only to find all this crap out.!!!

Yeah, I had an unpaid ticket...my bad. But if it weren't for the Patriot Act I wouldn't be without a DL for a few weeks or out 150 bucks.....am I justified in saying........

It's BUSHs Fault!!!!?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:34:02 PM EDT
this is deja vu

no lie, I went in to a CO driver license office in July to renew my DL and I was told that I had to contact CT in order to get a suspension lifted. Yep $125

For a ticket I got 5 years ago in PA

go figure.

And yeah, I had to wait for hours to find all this out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:39:07 PM EDT
It's all your fault. You should have paid the ticket in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:45:06 PM EDT
This ain't got shit to do with the Patriot Act. Same thing would have happened 20 years ago. States DO talk to each other.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:52:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:
This ain't got shit to do with the Patriot Act. Same thing would have happened 20 years ago. States DO talk to each other.

LARRYG is right. I had unpaid parking tickets in PA (Center City night clubs ), never got a renewal thru the mail and my license had expired. So the trip to the MV office turns up the real story, pay those tix and get your new license.Twenty years sounds about right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:54:38 PM EDT
I HATE the DMV and anyone associated with it. I had to wait 2 hours to get my renewal last month, like I have nothing better to do with my time
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
There aught to be a time limitation to that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:59:45 PM EDT
Fight it. Claim you never saw it and the time between issue and notifacation makes it impossible to properly defend yourself. 20 years is a long time, sounds as if you are really just paying for the moochers and hanger ons. Detroit used to be famous for sending out BS Parking tickets. Many had proof that the care were nowhere close to detroit at the time. They just hoped you would pay.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:00:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

No shit, most crimes are much less than that...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:04:34 PM EDT

Why wouldn't that also fall under the statute of limitations laws.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:05:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
Fight it. Claim you never saw it and the time between issue and notifacation makes it impossible to properly defend yourself. 20 years is a long time, sounds as if you are really just paying for the moochers and hanger ons. Detroit used to be famous for sending out BS Parking tickets. Many had proof that the care were nowhere close to detroit at the time. They just hoped you would pay.

unfortunately, since tickets have become revenue generators, you can't really fight it.

I could go into a lot of detail on my fight with PA and the ticket, but it would just make the jbt's of the site whine more.

BTW for larryg, CO did not share with other states until the PA was passed. But you should know that as you know everything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 5:12:27 PM EDT by leo6223]

Originally Posted By ecgRN:

Yeah, I had an unpaid ticket...my bad. But if it weren't for the Patriot Act I wouldn't be without a DL for a few weeks or out 150 bucks.....am I justified in saying........

It's BUSHs Fault!!!!?

No sir, please refer to the blue highlighted portion of your post and please assign blame where blame is due......I don't believe that ticket was President Bush's ticket. It was yours.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:12:01 PM EDT
I blame Usama.hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:13:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TrashHeap:

It would. Those are the things I was mrefering to.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:16:52 PM EDT
My AZ license expires in something like - - - 2026, maybe?

I love AZ!!! Even more that I am sitting temporarily in Ohio. And I hate Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:17:12 PM EDT

iirc, statute of limitations only applies if they don't know who to file charges against. Since the officer had you sign the ticket, they know who you are.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:17:23 PM EDT
Pay up sucker....

In MO we have to prove our identity to get a DL or CCW.
You need a Social Security card and a copy of your birth certificate with state seal on it and
a copy of a bill showing your current address.

Total pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:17:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leo6223:

It's BUSHs Fault!!!!?

No sir, please refer to the blue highlighted portion of your post and please assign blame where blame is due......I don't believe that ticket was President Bush's ticket. It was yours.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:18:35 PM EDT

Statute of limitations only applies for crimes not charged. When you are issued the ticket you are charged, and thus the statute of limitations does not apply.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:24:19 PM EDT
I guess my unpaid parking ticket in jersey will get me then. bastards ticketed my car for being to close to a stop sign, I was 2 cars back.

the two cars in front of me had NJ plate, I of course had Va and a ticket at 6 AM.

that was 1988 I'd guess LOL

I just renewed in 2004 and nothing came back, and I just got the CCW permit and nadda.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:24:44 PM EDT
Renew online...much easier
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:25:37 PM EDT
Hmmmm, when I renewed mine last year I walked in, got in the express line (license wasn't expired yet ), verified my address ("yep, that's still my current address"), posed for the mugshot, paid for my DL and was handed my new license with the reciept. In and out in less than 30 mins.

I'm glad to see all these hardened criminals are being brought to task for their nefarious deeds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:39:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IchWarrior:

www.warphead.com/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album02/captain_obvious.gif

Picture won't show...repost
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 5:43:14 PM EDT by PeteCO]

Originally Posted By JMR:
Pay up sucker....

You need a Social Security card and a copy of your birth certificate with state seal on it and

Total pain in the ass.

Good thing too, since bills are IMPOSSIBLE to fabricate on any fucking computer.

I know a guy who has faked:

Proof of vehicle insurance

Payroll check stubs

Utility bills

Copies of his credit report

Bills of lading

Some of those requirements are idiotic, considering how easy it is. Take for example the Bill of Lading - a factoring company would only accept the original, and he had lost it, making it impossible for him to get paid. Well, the jackasses should have known that anyone intent on defrauding them would not be stopped by lack of a genuine bill of lading. He made one up, "aged" it, and voila.

As for the other docs, he has never actually committed a crime except for the car insurance thing - all the other shit was for non-illegal purposes. Yes, he is VERY shady, but it just goes to show how fucking stupid some of those requirements are.

Oh, and the embossed "State Seal" is easily faked too, though I won't describe how to do that on this forum.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:42:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 5:46:22 PM EDT by ecgRN]

I have renewed in CO prior to the "Act". After 9/11 is when I got flagged.

Apparently your sarcasm receptors are wearing as thin as your sense of humor....

On second thought...maybe it's YOURfault...jeez.

All I'm saying is that if it weren't for the "executive order", no one (except CT) would have known or probally even cared about a twenty year old ticket. I didn't even know about it until today.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:43:01 PM EDT
Try being a green card holder.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:44:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:53:26 PM EDT
I am a victim of the Partriot Act

I thought this was about them taking away your ability to spell.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:57:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:

Originally Posted By JMR:
Pay up sucker....

Total pain in the ass.

Good thing too, since bills are IMPOSSIBLE to fabricate on any fucking computer.

I know a guy who has faked:

Proof of vehicle insurance

Payroll check stubs

Utility bills

Copies of his credit report

Bills of lading

Some of those requirements are idiotic, considering how easy it is. Take for example the Bill of Lading - a factoring company would only accept the original, and he had lost it, making it impossible for him to get paid. Well, the jackasses should have known that anyone intent on defrauding them would not be stopped by lack of a genuine bill of lading. He made one up, "aged" it, and voila.

As for the other docs, he has never actually committed a crime except for the car insurance thing - all the other shit was for non-illegal purposes. Yes, he is VERY shady, but it just goes to show how fucking stupid some of those requirements are.

Oh, and the embossed "State Seal" is easily faked too, though I won't describe how to do that on this forum.

I should have looked you up, it cost me $15 to get a birth certificate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:58:24 PM EDT
Duly noted (and corrected) weptek....duh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:39:55 PM EDT
People! Pay your damn tickets and get over it! Geeeez!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:48:50 PM EDT

People! Pay your damn tickets and get over it! Geeeez

It was just a rant...I know I'm guilty....get over itGeeeez!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:03:25 PM EDT
I had the samething happen to me. Did not get my notice of renewal back in 1988. Called the TX dmv and found out I had a warrant in Brownsville TX for 3 unpaid parking tickets. Well I called the District Courts office and I got to talk to the DA(slow day I guess, no ambalance chasing or dog shootings) And I explain "I have never ever been to Brownsville in my life." and he says prove it.

Now I was working for a gas station at the time and I started reading the names of all the customers I waited on. He stopped me after I read 10 names and asked "How many witnesses do you have?" my reply "300 and besides I drive a Pontiac and not a POS ford" Case dismissed.

If you have an unpaid ticket that is more than 5 years old, check the laws for the statute of limitations. Some jurisdictions have a law that if a ticket is not collected in a timely manner or ajudicated in a timely manner then you were denied the right to a speedy trial since you were not told to appear for a pretrial hearing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:13:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedave1164:

iirc, statute of limitations only applies if they don't know who to file charges against. Since the officer had you sign the ticket, they know who you are.

I have never heard of anyone having to sign a parking ticket.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:24:34 PM EDT
Hey.. Its been like that in NH for more than 10 years..

Lets face it. It sucks.. If you lived or got a ticket in VT. You would have to fill out the proper paperwork and notify your car insurance company of your ticket(s). If you don't. Then the state of VT zaps your license again..

Lucky you werent in VT.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:35:25 PM EDT
Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:51:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Obviously it WOULDNT have happened 20 years ago, or he wouldnt be posting this now would he?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:51:28 PM EDT

So now two crimes have no expiration of statutes of limitations. Murder and parking tickets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:55:46 PM EDT
I've never so much as had a single traffic violation. I am the DEFINITION of "under the radar".
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:33:20 PM EDT

... the told me that after 9/11 the Patriot Act opend up all the records to the DMVs nation wide as far back as the 60's...

Problem is, nowadays lots of people – to include government employees - blame everything on the Patriot Act.

It a convenient and plausible sounding explanation to any question asked.

That doesn’t make it true, though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:47:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
It's all your fault. You should have paid the ticket in the first place.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:29:39 PM EDT
Statute of Limitations?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:17:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thedave1164:

Correct. If the charge has already been filed, the statute of limitations does not apply.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:18:29 AM EDT

I have renewed in CO prior to the "Act". After 9/11 is when I got flagged.

Apparently your sarcasm receptors are wearing as thin as your sense of humor....

On second thought...maybe it's YOURfault...jeez.

All I'm saying is that if it weren't for the "executive order", no one (except CT) would have known or probally even cared about a twenty year old ticket. I didn't even know about it until today.

Oh, boo fucking hoo, mr. "victim". Pay the fucking ticket.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:05:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stosh333:
I blame Usama.

The Force is strong with this one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:06:52 AM EDT
It's the damn computers. Now the states can communicate easily.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:58:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
Try being a green card holder.

great another welfare baby

Top Top