BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2006 8:26:43 AM EDT
I just now almost won the Darwin award!

Heres what happened.

I havent rented a movie in months....so I decide to go out and pick up a few DVDs at the local Block Buster.  I get home, take out the DVDs and turn on the DVD player.  Nothing.....the DVD player wont turn on.  I try again...pressing the button as hard as I can...still nothing.  After looking around for the problem I find it.....some asshole cut the power cord!  I was soooo pissed I could barely think....someone just ruined my nice DVD player!  Then a idea pops into my head......I can strip the wires and reattach the two ends.  So I get to work.  I carefully strip one wire....no problem there.  So I start on the second wire, holding it close to my face so I wont cut too deep and........BOOM/FLASH!  I hear a loud pop see a  white blinding flash and feel alot of heat by my face.  I was actually blinded for a few seconds.  

In my fury I forgot to UNPLUG the cord I was stripping!

Thankfully I wasnt electrocuted or anything......I only caught a few hot sparks to the face.

Heres the scissors.....they were perfect....now they have black burn marks, melted copper, and pop marks on them.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Oooops!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
...ahahaha. Nice. Lucky you didnt get fried!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope you don't live alone.

How the FUCK does someone CUT your DVD Player cord in YOUR home while leaving it PLUGGED IN??

WTF? Over!?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
So who cut the power cord?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont forget to stand in a bucket of saltwater next time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
it works better if you do this while in the bathtub drying your hair at the same time
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#8]
HAHAHAHA... you = pwnd
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]

I have friends over pretty much every night.....so im betting it was one of those assholes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Now try it while sitting in the bathtub full of salt water.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Heres what happened.

........BOOM/FLASH!  I hear a loud pop see a  white blinding flash and feel alot of heat by my face.  I was actually blinded for a few seconds.  

That one sentence pretty well describes my entire childhood.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]
DOH!!

HA-HA!!  /nelson

OK, here's mine.  
Installed a built-in microwave.  Power cord goes up into the cabinet above it.  Used expanding foam to fill in the hole around the cord.  

A few weeks later, I notice the excess foam, which has now hardened.  Hmm,..  need to trim that down.  Grab a knife & start hacking into the foam....    and the power cord.    DOH!!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heres what happened.

........BOOM/FLASH!  I hear a loud pop see a  white blinding flash and feel alot of heat by my face.  I was actually blinded for a few seconds.  

That one sentence pretty well describes my entire childhood. conception

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In my furry I forgot to UNPLUG the cord I was stripping!

furry slippers or pajamas?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I did something analogous couple years ago replacing the starter on my 85 truck, forgot to disconnect the direct lead from the battery to the starter, when the handle of the ratchet I was using touched the truck frame completing the circuit to ground it was like a flashbang went off!  I was able to retain bladder control though
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Dumbass....I mean, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Dumbass....I mean, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Im just glad the scissors had plastic handles!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, I don't think you could get a darwin award off of 110 unless you were standing in water.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Relax, it could have happened to anybody with an IQ less than 80.
j/k
Hope you are okay.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Thankfully, that should buff right out.

Glad to see you are OK!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#21]
One thing i love about ARFCOM, is along with the
run of threads proclaiming greatness and uber-tacticality
there are threads like this one.  

That was a great story.  Thanks for shareing your pain!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Please, if you haven't reproduced yet, then don't. The gene pool is full of enough turds as it is
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a feeling you might get your chance again some day
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#25]
well were glad your ok.

hope you learned your leson, now go sit in the corner

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Sparks are fun things!  In my job I occasionally get some, that way I know the wire has voltage and I can check the next step of troubleshooting.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Unfortunately for you, Darwin was a patient man.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#28]
ha... I almost won a Darwin award once but I'm smart enough not to post it on the Internet! hAHAHAHAHAHwhoops
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#29]
That's really not a very good looking weld you made.  Back to shop class!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have friends over pretty much every night.....so im betting it was one of those assholes.

Sounds like your friends are morons.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#31]
nothing funnier tha cutting friends electric cords
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I did something analogous couple years ago replacing the starter on my 85 truck, forgot to disconnect the direct lead from the battery to the starter, when the handle of the ratchet I was using touched the truck frame completing the circuit to ground it was like a flashbang went off!  I was able to retain bladder control though hr

HAHA!  Been there, done that!  had!!!!
Light was running to a 110, battery wasnt even near the car.  110 won't kill you, but my neck and arm hairs were all standing up & my hand muscle contracted and I had trouble letting go of the wire.  !!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I actually have a torn up pair of lineman's pliers that I occasionally cut live cords with to get the breaker to blow.

The wiring in many older homes is a real hash and so mismarked that it's often easier to blow the breaker than to go and screw around trying to find the correct breaker.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#35]
If it makes you feel better, a couple weeks ago I did something WAAAAAAYYYYYY dumber.

But I ain't tellin'!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If it makes you feel better, a couple weeks ago I did something WAAAAAAYYYYYY dumber.

But I ain't tellin'!

You joined the rainbow brigade?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Been there, done that.

Now, don't ask me about open ended wires and silkworms...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm glad you okay.  

Personally, I think you should get a Darwin runner-up award because to get a real Darwin award you'd most likly be taking a permanent nap...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll bet THAT made yer asshole pucker up!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did something analogous couple years ago replacing the starter on my 85 truck, forgot to disconnect the direct lead from the battery to the starter, when the handle of the ratchet I was using touched the truck frame completing the circuit to ground it was like a flashbang went off!  I was able to retain bladder control though

HAHA!  Been there, done that!  

I've even had a shady old lead light hanging from the hood latch...it must've had a loose wire because it grounded itself on the car...  Went to hook up the coil wire &  !!!!
Light was running to a 110, battery wasnt even near the car.  110 won't kill you, but my neck and arm hairs were all standing up & my hand muscle contracted and I had trouble letting go of the wire.  !!!

110 AC could be  enough to kill you under the right circumstances...

Try these experiments and report your results...

Turn you toaster on... grab a metal butter knife...
Grab onto the handle tight...
Shove it in the toaster...

Hair dryer in the bathtub is another good one...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#41]
110 is just a little tingle,never had the chance to try 220.

Never change a light switch without turning off the juice,it scares the shit out of you when you touch both wires at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Stupid fish... er, dumb bass... er, well, you know what I mean...  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did something analogous couple years ago replacing the starter on my 85 truck, forgot to disconnect the direct lead from the battery to the starter, when the handle of the ratchet I was using touched the truck frame completing the circuit to ground it was like a flashbang went off!  I was able to retain bladder control though hr

HAHA!  Been there, done that!  had!!!!
Light was running to a 110, battery wasnt even near the car.  110 won't kill you, but my neck and arm hairs were all standing up & my hand muscle contracted and I had trouble letting go of the wire.  !!!hr

110 AC could be  enough to kill you under the right circumstances...

Try these experiments and report your results...heShove it in the toaster...

Hair dryer in the bathtub is another good one...

haha, no thanks!  hock.gif
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I knew what happened when I saw the pics...even before I read your post.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Sorry, but in order to have any chance of WINNING the Darwin Award, your stupidity has to be truly awe-inspiring.  Yours was merely droll and ordinary.  Please try your death again later.  Thank you, come again!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Hmmm.....Colombo notices the cut cord was still plugged in but not arching or shorted out.   So the perp either unplugged then cut the cord or somehow cut the cord without incident.  Hmmm.....Colombo thinks this thread has that unmistakable whiff of stink pickle about it!

Come clean Jr.!  What really happened??
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#47]

I'll bet THAT made yer asshole pucker up

Yup....I almost pissed and shit myself.....I wasnt expecting it at all.  Everything was dead quite when it happened.  I could also see a green blob  for about half an hour.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Hmmm.....Colombo notices the cut cord was still plugged in but not arching or shorted out.   So the perp either unplugged then cut the cord or somehow cut the cord without incident.  Hmmm.....Colombo thinks this thread has that unmistakable whiff of stink pickle about it!

Come clean Jr.!  What really happened??

Not totally impossible.  I had a rabbit that was known for chewing/cutting plugged in electrical cords.  As far as we know, he was never harmed by it, and the only reason we ever knew it happened was because a lamp/phone/TV/Computer ceased to work.  We'd check the chord and it would be plugged in, but clipped in two.  Stupid Rabbit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Nice friends!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top