Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2004 7:55:30 PM EDT
Read the complaint that I will be send to corp. HQ and tell me what you think. I might end up less one job when it is all said and done. Thanks for taking the time to read this, as I know it is long!

TO: Human Resource Manager August 29, 2004

REASON:  Filing a complaint

Dear Sir or Madem:

My name is Mr. X, and I have been working part-time in the tire shop at warehouse 69 in Podunk Michigan, for over five years.  I have also been a full time college student for the duration of my employment at company X.  I shall now relate the events of the morning of Wednesday, August 18th, 2004 as they transpired in the tire shop and tire sales area to the best of my recollection.

On the morning of Aug. 18, I opened the tire shop at 9:30am.  My fellow employee Mr. A was already in the tire shop painting the bay doors.  Mr. A’s only duty and responsibility that day was to paint the doors, he was not to assist in helping members or work on vehicles.  The opening procedure was completed with no complication.  However, immediately upon opening the shop we experienced an abnormal number of members wishing to have their vehicles serviced.  Mr. B clocked in on time at 10:00am and immediately started working on cars.

At 10:25am, a member was rung in for four tires on her Mercedes.  The member that was standing in front of her was given a wait of an hour and fifteen minutes to and hour and a half.  The women with the Mercedes, had a book in hand and did not seem concerned with how long the job would take, as she began to walk away as soon as I asked for her keys which were already on the counter.  She was not issued a wait time.

I was in the sales area for the vast majority of the morning assisting members.  Mr. B was working in the shop as hard and as fast as you could ask from any man.  During this time I was hardly able to touch a vehicle.  When I was able to begin assisting Mr. B in the shop the Mercedes was ready to be pulled in to begin working on.  As soon as I pulled the Mercedes in the buzzer went off and I went to check the door.

When I approached the front door, I saw a morning manager, Mrs. G, from inside the warehouse apologizing profusely to the women with the Mercedes.  I saw that Lori had the situation under control, so I went back into the shop to continue helping Mr. B, as we were still very busy at this time.  Later, Mrs. G came into the shop and asked me “what the deal was with the Mercedes”.  I told her I wasn’t sure what the problem was because the person in front of her was given a long wait and she did not show any concern as to the wait time.  Mrs. G then informed me that the women said that she was rung up at 10:00am and that I told her that she would be in and out in less than an hour.  At this time I informed Mrs. G what time she was rung in, and that I did not know where she got that wait time from.

A little before noon Warehouse Manager Dick, and Assistant Warehouse Manager Mrs. F came into the sales area.  Looking over the tires to check the buzzer I saw them walking towards the shop.  They came into the shop, which at this time had all bay doors open, and members were of course walking by.  This was to be my second real conversation with Dick.  Dick initiated a discussion by asking me “What happened earlier?”  I told Dick what Mrs. G had told me and then I told him what I observed of the women with the Mercedes.  Dick asked me why the wait was so long, and I told him that it was because we were swamped.  He asked me how many men were working that morning and I told him it was just myself and James.  He then asked me why it was just the two of us working, and I told him I did not know.  Both Mr. B and Mr. A were standing within hearing distance of this entire conversation.

At this time Mr. B told Dick that this situation would not be a problem if the new tire center policy were already in affect.  Then I said that it would not have made a difference because only one vehicle that we had serviced that morning was not having tires installed, or having Company X tires serviced.  I also stated that the vehicle not having tires installed, or having Company X tires serviced ended up being an un-repairable flat which Mr. B only spent five minutes on before deciding that he would have to wait for the member to see what they wanted done.

It was at this time that I noticed a marked change in Dick’s attitude and demeanor.  He harshly said “Okay from now on, just call someone from the front end and they will help you if you are that busy.”  I replied “Okay Dick, but when I call them what are they going to do?”  He told me that the person form the front end would do the tire sales.  I said, “Okay, but we’ve tried this several times in the past, and it has not worked because no one knows what’s going on up there and they just end up getting me and standing around while I take care of things.”

At this time Dicksternly told me “Look, I’ve given you the solution, just call someone from the front end and they will help you out.”  I told him, “That’s fine, but I’m just letting you know we’ve tried it several times before, and it doesn’t work.  But if that’s what you want me to do, then that’s fine.”  He was walking away from me as I said this.  When I finished with my sentence, he whirled around, learned forward, pointed his finger at me and in front of fellow employees, members that were standing at the chain and walking by the shop he said “I’ve given you solution, and I don’t like your cocky attitude.  You’ll do as I say, or you won’t work here!”  It was at this point that I felt very intimidated and had he been within arms reach of me, I would have been extremely concerned for my physical well being.  I replied to his angry threat, “whoa, whoa, whoa. Dick I’m just trying to let you know that we’ve tried this before-“ Dick loudly interrupted me, and angrily said that I had a cocky attitude and that I had better stop talking to him that way.  He began to walk away again and I followed him.  I asked him to wait a minute and talk to me.  We were a few feet into the sales area, but we were still in full view of the previously mentioned employees.  However my supervisor, Mr. D, had now clocked in and walked into the conversation.

From here, I told Dick that I did not know what was going on, but that I just wanted to talk to him and work out a solution to the problem, and that I was not trying to be cocky in any way whatsoever. Dick interrupted me again, and said in the most angry and frightening way, “NO! YOU DON’T TALK TO ME! YOU TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR! YOU TALK TO YOUR MANAGER! AND IF YOU HAVE TO, YOU TALK TO Manager Z! YOU USE THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, BUT YOU DON’T TALK TO ME!”  I was very frightened by this outburst, and I said “I’m sorry, I’ll talk to you later.”  After this I walked away.

During the remainder of my shift each tire shop employee that was present that morning, took me aside individually and said that they did not know what Dick was talking about when he said I was being cocky, and agreed that I was just trying to talk to him.  They said that they did not understand why he blew up on me the way that he did.

In my five years of working at Company X, I have not once been formally reprimanded, nor have I been threatened or physically intimidated in any way remotely close to this.  Words cannot express the anger, physical and verbal intimidation that was leveled upon me in front of my co-workers, members, and any passers by on this day.  The hostile work environment that I was apart of that day is not something that I believe company X stands for.  Nor do I feel that Dick’s actions were consistent with anything remotely approaching compliance with the manager’s code of conduct.  I was under the impression that Company X had an open door policy, and that it would be alright to make suggestions and try to solve a problem that a manager was trying to work out with me.

The reason for my delay in making this complaint has been due to the extreme intimidation, which I faced while having my job threatened in front of co-workers and members multiple times in both a physical and verbal manner.  I have been putting myself through college during my entire employment at Company X and I did not want to jeopardize my entire means of living by standing up for myself.  However, do to the fact that this incident occurred in front of so many people the story has reached two individuals in particular who have come to me in private since the incident occurred.  One person told me “not to worry” and that in regard to having my job threatened in front of other employees “it happens all the time”.  The other employee came to me and said that “things like this happen very consistently”.  Knowing this, I cannot stand by and allow myself to be physically and verbally harassed in such a hostile work environment in front of my fellow workers and members.

I encourage you to call myself, Mr. A, Mr. B, Mr. C, Mr. D, or Mrs. F if you have any questions regarding this situation.  I can be reached at
223-867-5309, or at work at 223-867-5309.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.  I hope to hear from you in the near future so that we can work together to resolve this unfortunate event.

Sincerely,

MR. X
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember when I thought shit like that was worth putting up with.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
your a part timer now?

start looking for a new job.

Yes, but I have been there for so long that it would take the approval of an executive vice president to sign off on my termination. I am not worried so much about being fired, as I am about being forced to work in hell.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Get another job.  Your gonna get canned at thr first real opportunity buttbreath get's.  bet them to the chase...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I hope you ran that sucker through a spell-checker after posting it here, because "Madem" is actually spelled "Madam"
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
posting your personal numbers on ARFCOM? Watch out or SgtAR15 might call for phone sex.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You need a Reader's Digest version in order to communicate your grievance more effectively.  Not how you did with your "And he said this, and then she said this and then this and after that this.." style.

Becomes difficult to follow after a while.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
posting your personal numbers on ARFCOM? Watch out or SgtAR15 might call for phone sex.

Although it is not my actuall number, That does sound hot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
if you work on a walk in basis and do not schedule appointments you need enough installers to service the customers in a timely fashion, if someone is not qualified for sales they do not belong on the sales floor. You won't be fired if you place the customer first.

wait till it cools of, then squirt visine in DIcks coffee, I'll be calling the number listed and asking for Jenny

look for a new job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although it is not my actuall number, That does sound hot.

Ohh man, I forsee this thread spiraling out of control shortly
Sorry to hear about your situation.  Maintain the high road.  Hope it works out for you one way or the other.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have the most fun possible with this jackasses name, at every opportunity.

"Sure thing, DICK! I'll do that next time, DICK!"
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A good tire monkey can walk in anywhere and get a job.

Tell Dick to go pound sand!

This tire monkey is making double the going rate for the job, with full benifits, and a 401K while working part time and having flexible hours. Keeping my job while standing up for myself is the main goal here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
WTF? You got the balls to follow and continue conversation with an obviously angry boss that has tried to terminate the conversation with you, then roll over and piss your self because he threatened and intimidated you?

Jobs arent  that hard to come by, are they?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i hear there is a chicken wing joint looking for a cook.

Do you know what a wing hunt is?

Running to get vest....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]
You won't lose your job.

+1 for making fun of Dick

"Got any gum on ya Dick?"
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
If you sent me that you would be fired.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Spelling and sentence structure aside, you were challenging a boss in a very public way. When he said what was to be done, you should have O.K. and went on with your work. Later, one on one, you could ask to discuss your idea for a way to help things work.  Sometimes all a customer needs to make them happy is to see "someone" getting their butt chewed, and the problem goes away.  
  This may or may not be the case, but never challenge a boss in front of anyone, which puts him in the postion that he has to win.  IMHO
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Spelling and sentence structure aside, you were challenging a boss in a very public way. When he said what was to be done, you should have O.K. and went on with your work. Later, one on one, you could ask to discuss your idea for a way to help things work.  Sometimes all a customer needs to make them happy is to see "someone" getting their butt chewed, and the problem goes away.  
  This may or may not be the case, but never challenge a boss in front of anyone, which puts him in the postion that he has to win.  IMHO

He asked a question and I answered it. Dont ask if you dont want to know.

ETA: What dont you like about the sentece structure. I was trying to write this in a way which would convey the events as closly to what actually happened as possible.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sounds like Dick was having a bad day and you just tripped his trigger. You could have disarmed him but continued along the same path several times even after it was apparent that it wasn't rubbing Dick right. You both lost.

So you're saying you have to rub Dick the right way, or you don't get the right outcome?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Honest, this is what the HRO manager is going to read:

Dear Sir or Madem:

My name is Mr. X, and I have been working part-time in the tire shop at warehouse 69 in Podunk Michigan, for over five years.  I have also been a full time college student for the duration of my employment at company X.  I shall now relate the events of the morning of Wednesday, August 18th, 2004 as they transpired in the tire shop and tire sales area to the best of my recollection.

On the morning of Aug. 18, I opened the tire shop at 9:30am.  My fellow employee Mr. A was already in the tire shop painting the bay doors.  Mr. A’s only duty and responsibility that day was to paint the doors, he was not to assist in helping members or work on vehicles.  The opening procedure was completed with no complication.  However, immediately upon opening the shop we experienced an abnormal number of members wishing to have their vehicles serviced.  Mr. B clocked in on time at 10:00am and immediately started working on cars.

At 10:25am, a member was rung in for four tires on her Mercedes.  The member that was standing in front of her was given a wait of an hour and fifteen minutes to and hour and a half.  The women with the Mercedes, had a book in hand and did not seem concerned with how long the job would take, as she began to walk away as soon as I asked for her keys which were already on the counter.  She was not issued a wait time.

I was in the sales area for the vast majority of the morning assisting members.  Mr. B was working in the shop as hard and as fast as you could ask from any man.  During this time I was hardly able to touch a vehicle.  When I was able to begin assisting Mr. B in the shop the Mercedes was ready to be pulled in to begin working on.  As soon as I pulled the Mercedes in the buzzer went off and I went to check the door.

When I approached the front door, I saw a morning manager, Mrs. G, from inside the warehouse apologizing profusely to the women with the Mercedes.  I saw that Lori had the situation under control, so I went back into the shop to continue helping Mr. B, as we were still very busy at this time.  Later, Mrs. G came into the shop and asked me “what the deal was with the Mercedes”.  I told her I wasn’t sure what the problem was because the person in front of her was given a long wait and she did not show any concern as to the wait time.  Mrs. G then informed me that the women said that she was rung up at 10:00am and that I told her that she would be in and out in less than an hour.  At this time I informed Mrs. G what time she was rung in, and that I did not know where she got that wait time from.

A little before noon Warehouse Manager Dick, and Assistant Warehouse Manager Mrs. F came into the sales area.  Looking over the tires to check the buzzer I saw them walking towards the shop.  They came into the shop, which at this time had all bay doors open, and members were of course walking by.  This was to be my second real conversation with Dick.  Dick initiated a discussion by asking me “What happened earlier?”  I told Dick what Mrs. G had told me and then I told him what I observed of the women with the Mercedes.  Dick asked me why the wait was so long, and I told him that it was because we were swamped.  He asked me how many men were working that morning and I told him it was just myself and James.  He then asked me why it was just the two of us working, and I told him I did not know.  Both Mr. B and Mr. A were standing within hearing distance of this entire conversation.

At this time Mr. B told Dick that this situation would not be a problem if the new tire center policy were already in affect.  Then I said that it would not have made a difference because only one vehicle that we had serviced that morning was not having tires installed, or having Company X tires serviced.  I also stated that the vehicle not having tires installed, or having Company X tires serviced ended up being an un-repairable flat which Mr. B only spent five minutes on before deciding that he would have to wait for the member to see what they wanted done.

It was at this time that I noticed a marked change in Dick’s attitude and demeanor.  He harshly said “Okay from now on, just call someone from the front end and they will help you if you are that busy.”  I replied “Okay Dick, but when I call them what are they going to do?”  He told me that the person form the front end would do the tire sales.  I said, “Okay, but we’ve tried this several times in the past, and it has not worked because no one knows what’s going on up there and they just end up getting me and standing around while I take care of things.”

At this time Dicksternly told me “Look, I’ve given you the solution, just call someone from the front end and they will help you out.”  I told him, “That’s fine, but I’m just letting you know we’ve tried it several times before, and it doesn’t work.  But if that’s what you want me to do, then that’s fine.”  He was walking away from me as I said this.  When I finished with my sentence, he whirled around, learned forward, pointed his finger at me and in front of fellow employees, members that were standing at the chain and walking by the shop he said “I’ve given you solution, and I don’t like your cocky attitude.  You’ll do as I say, or you won’t work here!” It was at this point that I felt very intimidated and had he been within arms reach of me, I would have been extremely concerned for my physical well being.  I replied to his angry threat, “whoa, whoa, whoa. Dick I’m just trying to let you know that we’ve tried this before-“ Dick loudly interrupted me, and angrily said that I had a cocky attitude and that I had better stop talking to him that way.  He began to walk away again and I followed him.  I asked him to wait a minute and talk to me.  We were a few feet into the sales area, but we were still in full view of the previously mentioned employees.  However my supervisor, Mr. D, had now clocked in and walked into the conversation.

From here, I told Dick that I did not know what was going on, but that I just wanted to talk to him and work out a solution to the problem, and that I was not trying to be cocky in any way whatsoever. Dick interrupted me again, and said in the most angry and frightening way, “NO! YOU DON’T TALK TO ME! YOU TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR! YOU TALK TO YOUR MANAGER! AND IF YOU HAVE TO, YOU TALK TO Manager Z! YOU USE THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, BUT YOU DON’T TALK TO ME!”  I was very frightened by this outburst, and I said “I’m sorry, I’ll talk to you later.”  After this I walked away.

During the remainder of my shift each tire shop employee that was present that morning, took me aside individually and said that they did not know what Dick was talking about when he said I was being cocky, and agreed that I was just trying to talk to him.  They said that they did not understand why he blew up on me the way that he did.

In my five years of working at Company X, I have not once been formally reprimanded, nor have I been threatened or physically intimidated in any way remotely close to this.  Words cannot express the anger, physical and verbal intimidation that was leveled upon me in front of my co-workers, members, and any passers by on this day.  The hostile work environment that I was apart of that day is not something that I believe company X stands for.  Nor do I feel that Dick’s actions were consistent with anything remotely approaching compliance with the manager’s code of conduct.  I was under the impression that Company X had an open door policy, and that it would be alright to make suggestions and try to solve a problem that a manager was trying to work out with me.

The reason for my delay in making this complaint has been due to the extreme intimidation, which I faced while having my job threatened in front of co-workers and members multiple times in both a physical and verbal manner.  I have been putting myself through college during my entire employment at Company X and I did not want to jeopardize my entire means of living by standing up for myself.  However, do to the fact that this incident occurred in front of so many people the story has reached two individuals in particular who have come to me in private since the incident occurred.  One person told me “not to worry” and that in regard to having my job threatened in front of other employees “it happens all the time”.  The other employee came to me and said that “things like this happen very consistently”.  Knowing this, I cannot stand by and allow myself to be physically and verbally harassed in such a hostile work environment in front of my fellow workers and members.

I encourage you to call myself, Mr. A, Mr. B, Mr. C, Mr. D, or Mrs. F if you have any questions regarding this situation.  I can be reached at
223-867-5309, or at work at 223-867-5309.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.  I hope to hear from you in the near future so that we can work together to resolve this unfortunate event.

You failed to give a customer a wait time.
Customer complaint reached Warehouse Manager Dick.
Warehouse Manager Dick listened to your explination on why this happened.
Warehouse Manager Dick gave you the solution to rectify this problem.
You took issue with it not once but three times.
You delayed in making the complaint.

Please remove yourself and all personal belongings from company property, your final paycheck will be sent to you within two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Letters are a pain in the ass to management. They won't really even want to read it. If you want to document it for a reason to leave...go ahead and turn it in. If you are trying to get someone on your side of the fight...just forget it. It was a busy time and people start thinking they are on the 'life or death clock'. They get irritated and say the wrong things. We all just need to say, "Sorry 'bout that." and go on with the remaining days of doing the job of a monkey. Someday there will be something worth fighting for....save you energy for that.

MT (just my experience)
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Read the complaint that I will be send to corp. HQ and tell me what you think. I might end up less one job when it is all said and done. Thanks for taking the time to read this, as I know it is long!

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.  I hope to hear from you in the near future so that we can work together to resolve an unfortunate event.

My name is John Doe, and I have been working part-time in the tire shop at warehouse 69 in Podunk Michigan, since 00-00-00.   I have also been a full time college student for the duration of my employment at company X.  I'm writing to you in order to relate, to the best of my recollection, the events of the morning of Wednesday, August 18th, 2004 as they transpired in the tire shop and tire sales area.

On the morning of Aug. 18, I opened the tire shop at 9:30.  My fellow employee, Mr. A, was already in the tire shop painting the bay doors.  Mr. A’s only duty and responsibility that day was to paint the doors, having been instructed he was not to help members or work on vehicles.  The opening procedure was completed with no complication.  However, immediately upon opening the shop we experienced an abnormal number of members wishing to have their vehicles serviced.  Mr. B clocked in on time at 10:00am and immediately started working on cars.

At 10:25am, a member was rung in for four tires on her Mercedes.  The member that was standing in front of her was given a wait of an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half.  The woman with the Mercedes had a book in hand, and did not seem concerned with how long the job would take, as she began to walk away as soon as I asked for her keys, which were already on the counter.  She was not issued a wait time.

I was in the sales area for the vast majority of the morning assisting members.  Mr. B was working in the shop as hard and as fast as you could ask from any man.  During this time I was hardly able to touch a vehicle.  When I was able to begin assisting Mr. B in the shop, the Mercedes was ready to be pulled in to be worked on.  As soon as I pulled the Mercedes in the buzzer went off, and I went to check the door.

When I approached the front door, I saw a morning manager, Mrs. G, from inside the warehouse apologizing profusely to the woman with the Mercedes.  I saw that Mrs. G had the situation under control, so I went back into the shop to continue helping Mr. B, as we were still very busy.  Later, Mrs. G came into the shop and asked me “What was the deal with the Mercedes”?  I told her I wasn’t sure what the problem was, because the person in front of her was given a long wait and she did not show any concern as to the wait time.  Mrs. G then informed me that the woman said she was rung up at 10:00am, and that I told her she would be in and out in less than an hour.  At this time I informed Mrs. G what time she was rung in, and that I did not know where she got that wait time from.

A little before noon Warehouse Manager Dick, and Assistant Warehouse Manager Mrs. F came into the sales area.  Looking over the tires to check the buzzer I saw them walking towards the shop.  They came into the shop, which at this time had all bay doors open, and members were of course walking by.  This was to be my second real conversation with Dick.  Dick initiated a discussion by asking me “What happened earlier?”  I told Dick what Mrs. G had told me, and then I told him what I observed of the woman with the Mercedes.  Dick asked me why the wait was so long, and I told him that it was because we were swamped.  He asked me how many men were working that morning, and I told him it was just James and me.  He then asked me why it was just the two of us working, and I told him Mr. XXXXX scheduled it this way.  Both Mr. B and Mr. A were standing within hearing distance of this entire conversation.

At this time Mr. B told Dick that this situation would not be a problem if the new tire center policy were already in affect.  Then I said that it would not have made a difference because only one vehicle that we had serviced that morning was not having tires installed, or having Company X tires serviced.  I also stated this vehicle ended up being an un-repairable flat, which Mr. B only spent five minutes on before deciding that he would have to wait for the member to see what he wanted done.

It was at this time that I noticed a marked change in Dick’s attitude and demeanor.  He harshly said “Okay from now on, just call someone from the front end, and they will help you if you are that busy.”  I replied “Okay Dick, (This is where I would have stopped in this type of situation) but when I call them what are they going to do?”  He told me that the person from the front end would do the tire sales.  I said, “Okay, but we’ve tried this several times in the past, and it has not worked because no one knows what’s going on up there. They end up calling me in, and standing around while I take care of things.”

At this time Dick sternly told me “Look, I’ve given you the solution, just call someone from the front end and they will help you out.”  As he was walking away, I told him “That’s fine, but I’m just letting you know we’ve tried it several times before, and it doesn’t work, but if that’s what you want me to do, then that’s fine.”  When I finished with my sentence, he whirled around, leaned forward pointing his finger at me, and said “I’ve given you a solution, and I don’t like your cocky attitude.  You’ll do as I say, or you won’t work here!”  (This was in front of fellow employees, and members who were standing at the chain and walking by the shop). It was at this point that I felt very intimidated, and had he been within arms reach of me, I would have been extremely concerned for my physical well being.  I replied to his angry threat, “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Dick, I’m just trying to let you know that we’ve tried this before-“ Dick loudly interrupted me, and angrily said that I had a cocky attitude and that I had better stop talking to him that way.  He began to walk away again and I followed him.  I asked him to wait a minute and talk to me.  We were a few feet into the sales area, but we were still in full view of the previously mentioned employees.  My supervisor, Mr. D, had now clocked in and walked into the conversation.

From here, I told Dick that I did not know what was going on, but that I just wanted to talk to him and work out a solution to the problem, and that I was not trying to be cocky in any way whatsoever. Dick interrupted me again, and said, in the most angry and frightening way, “NO! YOU DON’T TALK TO ME! YOU TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR! YOU TALK TO YOUR MANAGER! AND IF YOU HAVE TO, YOU TALK TO Manager Z! YOU USE THE CHAIN OF COMMAND, BUT YOU DON’T TALK TO ME!”  I was very frightened by this outburst, and I said “I’m sorry, I’ll talk to you later.”  After this I walked away.

During the remainder of my shift each tire shop employee that was present that morning took me aside individually, and said that they did not know what Dick was talking about when he said I was being cocky, and agreed that I was just trying to talk to him.  They said that they did not understand why he blew up on me the way he did.

In my five years of working at Company X, I have not once been formally reprimanded, nor have I been threatened or physically intimidated in any way remotely close to this.  Words cannot express the anger, or physical and verbal intimidation that was leveled upon me in front of my co-workers, members, and any passers by on this day.  The hostile work environment that I was a part of that day is not something that I believe company X stands for.  Nor do I feel that Dick’s actions were in compliance with the manager’s code of conduct.  I was under the impression that Company X had an open door policy, and that it would be alright to make suggestions, and try to solve a problem that a manager was trying to work out with me.  (Open door means the door to his office, not a public area).
The reason for my delay in making this complaint is the extreme intimidation I felt while having my job threatened, in front of co-workers and members, in both a physical and verbal manner.  I did not want to jeopardize my entire means of living by standing up for myself.  However, due to the fact that this incident occurred in front of so many people, the story has reached two individuals in particular who have come to me in private since the incident occurred.  One person told me “Don't worry” and that in regard to having my job threatened in front of other employees “It happens all the time”.  The other employee came to me and said that “things like this happen very consistently”.  Knowing this, I cannot stand by and allow myself to be physically and verbally harassed in such a hostile work environment.

I encourage you to call  Mr. A, Mr. B, Mr. C, Mr. D, Mrs. F or me if you have any questions regarding this situation.  I can be reached either at home, 223-867-5309, or at work, 223-867-5309.

Sincerely,

MR. X

I changed it a bit to illustrate what I meant, and highlighted a few things that you'd have to change or delete. I hope it helps.

EDIT:  Changed line per suggestion by Adam_White.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I sure hope you put as much effort into your job as you did that letter.

You're whining....just do your job, even on the busy days.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Bottom Line Up FRONT!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Bottom Line Up FRONT!!!

There ya go. How does it look now?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#30]
You've worked in a walk in shop for five years and this is the first time you got
an ass chewing because the Bitch customer in the "Mercedes" cried to someone.

Consider yourself let off light. You are going to collage so obviously this isn't
you're career path. Dick gives his solution, you use it,it doesn't work, big f--ing deal,
it's Dicks problem.

GM

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Five years is long enough. Diversify your resume' a bit. You did the right thing with the letter though. If you leave, he will eventually treat other employee's the same way. It is good for this to go on his work record. I have too often kept my mouth and allowed people like your boss to get away with their outbursts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Id be willing to bet that your boss is having trouble at home, going through tough times etc. either that or hes on a power trip.

Dont let him intimidate you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Id be willing to bet that your boss is having trouble at home, going through tough times etc. either that or hes on a power trip.

Dont let him intimidate you.

SHADDUP!

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I remember when I thought shit like that was worth putting up with.

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd say if your boss is having problems turning that letter in is not a good idea. And being a boss you are always having problems. He may have taken you the wrong way. But when you singn the paychecks you just want your help to do as asked the first time. Even if the boss is wrong.

And you have been there five years? And this is the first time you got an ass chewing? Thank about it. The boss told you how he wanted it and you would not listen. And then he went a little over board. So let it cool for a week or two and I bet you the next time you see him he will be cool. May even say he's sorry. And if he has to much pride to say so you will see that he is. I say let it go this time, and do like he says next time the first go around. If he starts chewing your ass out all the time for no good reason then look for another job. In the mean time thank about your long term goals, keep your focus, always have a game plan and a back up plan.

If this boss is not the owner of the company. See how things go for a couple of weeks. If you still feel up set. Then I would consider making a little phone call to the owner and be very carefull in your choice of words.

Last but most.....Thank before you jump.....Good luck.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#36]
You forgot to mention in your letter that you have a gun and will be packin' it in future just in case Dick pushes his luck again. This will definitely get you respect from the HR people .
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I say fuck dick()...never put up with crap from a NAZI !!!Send you letter to whom ever and look for another job. Post the numbers you have with hishome/personal extentions....and let ARFCOM fire mission that bastard...That sum-beotch will never get sleep again!!! Imagine getting a call from 2-3 thousand people each night???Haha...LET'S ROLL!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#38]
A confrontation with your boss in front of customers.  You lose and HR will bitch slap you for the letter.

Let's see, a manager vs a part time employee that will probably be leaving soon after graduation.  You do the math.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#39]
A letter to the big whigs is a woman's tactic, an afterthought to ease the pain of knowing you got walked on, or failed to stand up for yourself. Now, you want someone to do something about it, to fight your fight.

If your pride and self respect are worth anything, use them when next a "Dick" gets in your face and wants to scream at you.

There are thousands of good jobs, but only one you. Remember that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I am puzzled by the replies that tell you to be lucky you have a job.  Or the ones that say they would have fired you.

These are the same types of managers that supervised the building of late 1970s US automobiles.  "This is the way we've done it in the past..."

These managers are like shitty officers in the military.  They don't particularly care about what's best or most efficient.  They care about keeping their retirement and little else.  Don't rock the boat till retirement!

Too bad that you're not a mindless zombie, killingmachine123.  Then you would fit right in with the mindless "supervisor" that says "I don't care if we know it won't work - just do what I fucking say!".

Your asshat supervisor sounds like a lot of middle management in the US - they don't really manage - and they damned sure don't work.

I can hear the "then start your own company" broken record now.  Sorry, but that broken record plays a song that rings true.  Put up with your incompetent, rude, lazy, ego-trippin' cum stain of a supervisor, or find another job.

JMO

edit - forgot to add - GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:59:30 AM EDT
[#41]
one of two choices, either pussy up, shut up say yes sir and do your job.
or take him out back and bitch slap the guy and tell him to never diss you  like that again or you will break his ribs and his knee caps

you should have just shut up said yes sir , turned around shook your head at the stupidity of management
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:04:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You've worked in a walk in shop for five years and this is the first time you got
an ass chewing because the Bitch customer in the "Mercedes" cried to someone.

Consider yourself let off light. You are going to collage so obviously this isn't
you're career path. Dick gives his solution, you use it,it doesn't work, big f--ing deal,
it's Dicks problem.

GM

Exactly, +1
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Get Dick to swing by that Asian "spa" on his way home that old JohnBlade23 used to get a few kinks worked out of the old "soup bone."

Dick will be happier and you will have better job security.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Good luck on actually dialing those #s. How old are you, BTW?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Being right and being employed have no direct relationship. In the course of your life, you are going to have to suck down far worse than this, and smile, as long as somebody else signs your paycheck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#47]
See Big Boss Dick yell
See Big Boss Dick give orders
The womenz like Big Boss Dick
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
You need a Reader's Digest version in order to communicate your grievance more effectively.  Not how you did with your "And he said this, and then she said this and then this and after that this.." style.

Becomes difficult to follow after a while.

+1

That would go in my circular file. Get to the point. You're not giving a deposition.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Title your complaint: "Workplace Violence Complaint". This is a buzzword that would make any half-brained beancounter take notice.

Next you need to abbreviate the account and concentrate on the verbal and physical threat. The beancounters do not need to know that much about the stuff that occurred before - just a sentence or 2 that you were short-handed and there were long wait times (don't tell them how to build a clock when all they want is to know what the time is).
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Did he really use the phrase "chain of command" at the Wally Club?

There is SOO much to say about that, that I choose to say nothing at all...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top