Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/2/2006 10:15:27 PM EDT
It was about 1980 when Scientific American ran the story about the recent discovery that is was asteroid that caused the deaths of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. This finally explained the mystery of the KT boundry and the impact crater was later discovered near the Yucatan Penninsula mostly hidden under the ocean.

Prior to that time I remember learning that it was an "ice age" that killed off all the dinosaurs leaving the way for mammals. In a way they were correct but it was still way off from what we now know.

And it was about 10 years later with the fall of the Soviet Union that we finally learned what really happened to Adolf Hitler and others in the bunker. For decades the Soviets reported that his remains were never discovered. I think Stalin enjoyed knowing something we didn't, and it lead to all kinds of speculation that he may have escaped, etc.

We had a lot of reliable testimony about what happened in the bunker but we didn't have the entire accurate picture. Now we know that Hitler not only took cyanide and shot himself but that the Russians have a portion of his skull. We also learned about the morbid travels of the remains of the Goebbles children. We already knew what kind of pieces of shit those poor kids had.

So those were the two I remember when history had to be corrected.

Wonder what else we don't quite have right.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever the deal is with Area 51...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently learned that Rock Hudson and Jim Neighbors were both gay.

I'm still in shock.

If I find out anything fishy about Freddie Mercury, I'm going to lose it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I read in an old history book that  "Giant herds of wild buffalo used to roam the Great Plains until the Indians came and killed them all".
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are counting science - you have watched the books re-written many times.... We have learned A LOT in the last 100 yrs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember back in school the end of the world was coming due to aother Ice Age
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I know what you mean.
In 4th grade (Mid-90s) we were talking about the War Between the States.
Teacher said it was fought to free the slaves - I said "thats not so, it was fought to preserve the Union. Lincoln stated at his inaguration that he had no intention of freeing the slaves."

Teacher was mad.
Parents were called.
School wanted to know "who was putting those ideas in his head."
Parents pulled me out of public school.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just learned that fcat has a ugly looking cat.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I read in an old history book that  "Giant herds of wild buffalo used to roam the Great Plains until the Indians came and killed them all".

Well, that's only part of the story - during the French & Indian war, the large herds you speak of existed.  Near the end of the war, over 100,000 French troops were walking through the plains picking flowers in a Fench military tradition in which one soldier gives another a flower, and they have anal intercourse.

When an enormous herd of Buffalo started stampeding through the plains, instead of running, the French huddled with each other in fear, and were trampled to death.   The Indians, who were allied with the French, knew that this meant the end of the war for them - so they killed all the Buffalo.

Shortly afterward, PETA members surrounded and killed all of the Indians at a place called Big Horn.

Remember, knowing is half the battle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember back in the 70's and 80's about the up-coming global cooling crap that everyone talked about.

Chit I grew up in northern MN every winter was global cooling. And hell I wished for global warming.

Now I live in southern AZ and love the heat.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I remember back in school the end of the world was coming due to aother Ice Age

Won't be the end of the world but Earth does have cyclic glaciations.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I remember back in the 70's and 80's about the up-coming global cooling crap that everyone talked about.

Chit I grew up in northern MN every winter was global cooling. And hell I wished for global warming.

Now I live in southern AZ and love the heat.

Remember when Killer Bees were gonna kill us all by the 1980s.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that's only part of the story - during the French & Indian war, the large herds you speak of existed.  Near the end of the war, over 100,000 French troops were walking through the plains picking flowers in a Fench military tradition in which one soldier gives another a flower, and they have anal intercourse.

When an enormous herd of Buffalo started stampeding through the plains, instead of running, the French huddled with each other in fear, and were trampled to death.   The Indians, who were allied with the French, knew that this meant the end of the war for them - so they killed all the Buffalo.

Shortly afterward, PETA members surrounded and killed all of the Indians at a place called Big Horn.

Remember, knowing is half the battle.

French Bastards!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
As a history major you see this a fair amount.
My favorite one so far:

Old: China and the Soviets were part of a unified block for much of the 50's. They had a falling out later. This can be seen in their cooperation during the Korean War.

New: Turns out China tried to transmit through a third party that they would not become involved in the Korean War (and thus deny Soviet aircraft use of Chinese bases) if only ROK troops crossed the 38th. The Chinese felt that the fall of NK would be a blow to the Soviets, and they hated the Soviets.
The message never really got through since they couldn't just call us up and say it.

Old: The Spanish came to the New World and defeated a great and peaceful empire and enslaved everybody.
New: The Spanish came to the New World and defeated a bunch of crazy sadists who were so bad most of the native people happily joined the Spanish side and would've continued to be if they didn't all die of disease later.

Other historical revelations that really annoyed people.
1)Blacks in the south enjoyed a period of equality for a fair amount of time in colonial Virginia, with race based laws coming later (Read "Myne Owne Ground").
2)There were black slaveowners right up until the Civil War. Typically this was free blacks who bought family members to keep them together. But not always.
3)There were white slaves, mostly in Barbados. The English happily enslaved a lot of Irish and sent them there during Cromwell's reign. They were rounded up, branded, and sent on ships that were pulled off the West African route (the ship captains found it more profitable since the trip was easier and Irish Catholic slaves wouldn't commit suicide). Cromwell also enslaved English political enemies and shipped them to the West Indies as chattel slaves (Read "To Hell or Barbados: The Ethnic Cleansing of Ireland"). Included a peer or two.

My other favorite major change story, that was before my time.

Old: The MiG-25 is the greatest fighter ever created. Fast, turns tight, carries a lot. It will kill us all.

New (after a guy defects): Hey wait. This thing's a piece of crap. If you turn the wings fall off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#14]
my favorite thing is how we are pulling polically incorrect books off the shelves, no matter how truthful to history they are.

Orwellian...those who control the present also control the past.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#15]
well apparetly we were supposed to be on the metric system "in the near future"

been hearing that one for years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Man in the 'dark ages' (defined in some books as 600ad to 1492ad, thought that the world was flat until Galileo proved, proved I say, it was round.

Of course, the Romans knew it was round - which is why they refered to Terra as "orbe" Orb (sphere).

They just assumed that the western ocean was too big to cross.

And European Christians knew the world was round...but by their times ship building hadn't recovered to the Roman level of sophistication, and the western ocean was assumed to be too big to cross..,

Oh, and if you actually READ Galileo, he doesn't PROVE his assertions about the heliocentric theory, he makes a good case for it, but it's not a slam dunk in his book, so it wasn't as though his opponents were just being 'antiscientific morons'.

But it's just so much easier to paint him as 100% right, brilliant, suffering for science in the face of backward religious zealots (you know, so zealous and antiscience that the same bunch successfully created the Gregorian calendar we still use today).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I know. I hate teaching both systems. I tell the kids we have been switching over for the last 30 years. The metric system is a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#18]
See my sig line.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:25:31 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was in 7th grade they made us learn the metric system because it would be the only system in use in a couple of years.

That was in 1975.

Also in 1975, our history books stated that someday, man would walk on the moon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:55:22 AM EDT
[#21]
SteyrAUG,
Thanx for reminding us how OLD we are

I saw Reagan get shot, Jody Foster was hot at the time too. **anyone remember JFA?**
Saw the Brady Bill get passed
I was named after JFK ( John Fitzgerald Kelly, was my birth name) since been adopted. new name.
They still don't know who shot him.
Belushi OD'd
Seen 2 Shuttles blow up. I was in Dallas on the last one. High school the first.
Bunch O war.
I have seen a full cricle on Gas and oil prices since the 70's.

The best one, which is leading to the demise of the US, Cable TV, Nintendo, and super sized fast food!

God, what is it gonna be like in 30 yrs???????

ETA: "the inter what?"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone seen my flying car? I am sure I parked it right outside. My laser gun was in the glove box, too.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I know what you mean.
In 4th grade (Mid-90s)

I'm geting old if we have posters who were in the 4th grade 10 years ago.
The internet isn't much older than you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#25]
My World Book Encyclopedia clearly states: " Someday, man will walk on the moon..."
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#26]
They have yet to ammend the books but the Verona files revealed that McCarthy was right.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#27]
i remember in the late 80ies every enviromentalist hippie d*ckhead was talking about "acid rain".
In many european countries many enviromental tax schemes were established on that ""fact" alone.
It was supposed to kill off the trees. Suddenly it went out of fashion (must be at least 10 years since i heard anyone mention "acid rain") and was replaced by the global warming nonsense that we hear up to this day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#28]

I Was There When The History Books Were Changed...  

"We will soon have a paperless society/economy."

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#29]
At the start of last "oil crisis" back about 1972....6th grade for me.

"We will run out of oil by 2005"  

Known oil reserves are greater now than in 1980.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#31]
DOB September 1964, you can figure it out from there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#32]
9/11 was a conspiracy to raise Haliburton share prices and steal more oil from the peaceful Iraqi regime while taking away the human rights of those poor Afghani women and cementing the Zionist stranglehold on their stolen land.  All Bush's fault, of course.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I Was There When The History Books Were Changed...  

"We will soon have a paperless society/economy."

Yep.  "By the year 2000 we will operate almost solely without paper.  We will also be on the 4 day work week because automation will have taken over so much of the work currently done by humans."

While there is a lot more automation I personally have never been on a 4 day work week and neither is anyone I know.  As for paperless...psssshaw.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:28:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Atomic Energy will be so cheap, they will only charge a nominal fee for wire and equipment  maintenance.

Atmospheric testing will drive particles of Plutonium and Uranium into the upper atmosphere and rain death down on us for 100 years. It's all about tobacco now, even though when tobacco smoking goes down, cancer still goes up.

Computers will eliminate paperwork and lead to a more productive workforce. (possibly true, in India)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I want my flying car, a toga or a shiny unisex jumpsuit
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know what you mean.
In 4th grade (Mid-90s) .

This explains so much more than you can understand.

+1000
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Man in the 'dark ages' (defined in some books as 600ad to 1492ad, thought that the world was flat until Galileo proved, proved I say, it was round.

Of course, the Romans knew it was round - which is why they refered to Terra as "orbe" Orb (sphere).

They just assumed that the western ocean was too big to cross.

Well, the western ocean was too big to cross if you didn't know there was a big hunk of land in the way. Hence why the Church denied Columbus funding.

The entire concept of the "dark ages" pisses me off. What bullshit. Stand inside a cathedral built during that time and come and talk about the "dark ages". They teach the Middle Ages so badly in school's unless you take a specialize course in college.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#39]
i wanna be there when the disrpove the law of nature that says you cannot travel faster than the speed of light...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Remember it's global warming that causes the polar caps to melt that then somehow is responisble for the Ice Age.

Freon did this.

Now that I have replaced 2 Carrier freon units with the Puron type the scientists will stampede to be the first to say freon is beneficial to all living things. I'm not bitching, my utility bill went from 180.00 last year to 128.00 this year, mostly from lower electrical use.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

...but by their times ship building hadn't recovered to the Roman level of sophistication, and the western ocean was assumed to be too big to cross..,

I wasn't aware the the Romans had particularly good technology for open-ocean ships.  My impression is that roman ships were mostly for coastal waters, and for short hops across straits.  I don't think they would have fared well in the North Atlantic at all.  I believe some of the first ships really designed for sailing the open ocean may have been the Viking ones, much later.

I agree with pretty much everything else you are saying, but I'm not so sure about the roman ship building technology.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The metric system is a tool of the DEVIL!  My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know what you mean.
In 4th grade (Mid-90s)

I'm geting old if we have posters who were in the 4th grade 10 years ago.
The internet isn't much older than you.

Not my much.
I pretty clearly remember using the Progidy dial up on the IBM P/S1 we had.
All the damn thing could do it play "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know what you mean.
In 4th grade (Mid-90s) .

OH TEH NOES!!!!11!!
A COLLEGE STUDENT POSTS ON TEH INTERNET!!11

Fuckin' spare me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#45]
i remember when the internet was just somethng that geeks used (now it's at least debatable)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It was about 1980 when Scientific American ran the story about the recent discovery that is was asteroid that caused the deaths of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Don't you mean, like, 4000 or so years ago?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was about 1980 when Scientific American ran the story about the recent discovery that is was asteroid that caused the deaths of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

Don't you mean, like, 4000 or so years ago?

And it heard it wasn't an asteroid at all, but an errant meatball from the Flying Spagetti Monster.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Anybody else remember the commercial from the 70s "energy crisis" with the kid walking on the beach talking about how "they say when I get big, there won't be any oil left" (or words to that effect, anyway)?

And how about the "news" back in the 70s that global temperatures were dropping, polar icee caps were expanding, and the scientific community "knew" that we were rapidly slipping into another ice age.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know what you mean.
In 4th grade (Mid-90s) .

OH TEH NOES!!!!11!!
A COLLEGE STUDENT POSTS ON TEH INTERNET!!11

Fuckin' spare me.

When I was a college student, about 10 years before you were born, I was not wasting my time posting on the internet. There was no internet and computers were the pervue of geeks and eggheads. I was busy doing things and screwing everything with tits ( pre aids ).   The very young however lack the experience to know how much they actually don't yet know.

Welcome to the 21st century, where the internet is used by everyone.
I do plenty of things, and I get more than my fair share of ass. It's called the weekend.
I know enough to know that Vicky Weaver's death was a great wrong. Looks like I know more than you do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top