Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:45:49 PM EDT

SBR and suppressor for either choice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know they both look good to me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
HK94 is smaller. And more expensive. Unless you have it converted to use the flap mag release (or replace the button with an aftermarket side-moving flap; I forget who makes it but I have one on my 94), mag changes are somewhat...annoying. The button is too far way to hit it without moving your hands, etc. The reloading sequence is more complex than an AR, just like every other HK.

The AR is bigger, less expensive. Mags are more expensive than HK94 mags, though. Easier to reload and make ready.

I'd just SBR a .223 AR and use that instead of either. But, that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hence the dilemma!
Clearly the 9mm AR15 is a sound choice, as it is a cheaper base weapon, and mags are more commonplace and cheaper.
However, nothing is quite so slick as an HK94 SBR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HK94 is smaller. And more expensive. Unless you have it converted to use the flap mag release (or replace the button with an aftermarket side-moving flap; I forget who makes it but I have one on my 94), mag changes are somewhat...annoying. The button is too far way to hit it without moving your hands, etc. The reloading sequence is more complex than an AR, just like every other HK.

The AR is bigger, less expensive. Mags are more expensive than HK94 mags, though. Easier to reload and make ready.

I'd just SBR a .223 AR and use that instead of either. But, that's just me.

If an HK94 was purchased, a clipped/pinned lower and a paddle mag release would be mandatory.
An SBR AR15 is on the list (two actually)
This is about choosing a pistol caliber carbine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
HK94 + SBR + suppressor =
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If an HK94 was purchased, a clipped/pinned lower and a paddle mag release would be mandatory.
An SBR AR15 is on the list (two actually)
This is about choosing a pistol caliber carbine.

Don't forget about rebarreling it or cutting down the original barrel...

The AR is the way cheaper choice.

For fun, the HK94 is hard to beat though. It has very little recoil at all, and with a 16" barrel, it's just quiet to shoot. I had the fake SD supressor foreend on mine for a while, one day at the range I had a couple people looking at it weird (this was when I was in NY). They asked if it was supressed because it was really quiet. When I took off the fake cover they were amazed that it was so quiet just because of the long barrel...

Oh - I haven't any experience cleaning a 9mm AR, but the HK94 is a real bitch to clean if you're like me, and refuse to put a gun away with any carbon in it anywhere. The reciever is really tough to get to every nook and cranny in, unless you have the hands of a 3 year old and fingers made of rubber.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Suppressed 9mm AR SBR FTMFW
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I think your money would go farther with an AR. I was just handling both today and despite the HK's awesomeness, there's no way I'd take it over an AR. Though the 6450 I handled was 2150 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Certainly, your money will go further with the AR. Mods are easier, accessories more plentiful, easier smithing choices, etc.

From a collectors perspective, though, do you need another AR? There should be one 90 series HK in every collection, IMO. The 94 is a great gun. It definitely has that little extra bit of something special - regardless of some of it's faults.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
94 or clone and never look back!  Jeff
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had both.

Hk94 is cool as hell but at the end of the day the Colt 9mm platform is better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The '94 is more reliable and has a higher CDI factor, but you are going to run into the expense of having it converted (properly) in the an MP5SF and the quality mag's are more expensive.

I haven't priced Colt 9mm mags lately, but you'll have a more erognomic rifle and you just have to lop of the barrel and re-thread.

The '94 will continue to go up in value.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I've owned both and shot a full auto version of both.
The HK is much more a stable platform when firing on full auto and recoils much less than the AR. Recoil on a 9mm carbine? Trust me, when you fire them side by side it is noticeable, the AR in full auto felt like a out of control bomb compared to the MP5.  The semi version of the AR recoils much more than you would expect, the 94 feels like a popgun.  There are reasons why the MP5 is the most popular subgun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Experience from renting both a couple years ago (one time):

The 9mm AR is nifty but was like a station wagon. It wasn't as ergonomic for me as it should have been, and I have some familiarity with ARs.

Once I wrapped myself around the HK though... That was like sitting myself down in a Porsche. It had the solid stock on it though. That was an experience. I love the "Bullet / No Bullet / LOTS OF BULLETS" pictogram for the selector.

If you went with the AR my humble suggestion would be to put HK style BUIS on it - you can see so much around you with those sights. In either case if it were me making the decision I'd figure out how to put a Micro Aimpoint on top!

Let us know which you choose.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
safety on the HK's are too far away from your thumb if you have average sized hands/fingers...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The collapsible stocks on the MP5 series of weapons also kind of sucks. It wobbles under recoil and makes it harder to control when you are shooting full auto or when you are trying to make rapid shots in semi-auto. I find I can run one much better with the fixed stock than with the collapsible stock.

+1 I like the fixed stock better also.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#18]
HK94 or Clone that runs for the FTW.

Much more reliable, I shoot a monthly PCC match and it's amazing how many of the AR pattern PCC malf.  I win a lot of stages due to AR PCC malfs, but as always YMMV.

The mags in the HK 9mm are much more reliable and you can get 10,15,30,40 and Beta.

Last shot BHO is available on .40, .357 and 10mm guns, but these are few and far between and expensive.

Recoil is hughely less.

No need to ramp the bolt, no broken BHO, AR PCC ejectors suck.

If I had to have an AR PCC it would be the Oly glock mag lower.

As I said before YMMV, check out the PCC/Rimfire forum.

Jeff
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
safety on the HK's are too far away from your thumb if you have average sized hands/fingers...

Ambi lower(Clone 250.00) or extended safety, easy fix.  Jef
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence the dilemma!
Clearly the 9mm AR15 is a sound choice, as it is a cheaper base weapon, and mags are more commonplace and cheaper.

No mags are probably more expensive for the AR
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#21]
The recoil on the HK94 is way different than on a 9mm AR.  Of course, neither has very extreme recoil.  The AR will have more of a slow, heavier feeling recoil with a bit more muzzle flip.  The HK94 seems a lot faster, lighter and very little muzzle flip.  This might be something you could tune on the AR with the right buffer and maybe the use of a flat recoil spring.

With the AR, you'd have familiar controls and easier access to parts and accessories.  Mounting optics would be easier.  You also would have a greater choice of triggers.  All the MP5/Hk94/Clones I've tried had alright triggers, not bad triggers, just not great triggers.  The 9mm AR has the last round bolt hold open, the HK94 does not.

I like the way the HK94 feels better.  (ergonomics and how it shoots.)  But the AR has more features that I'd want at a lower price.

With all that, If I could SBR it, I'd choose the HK94.  It's just plain cool and has a high CDI factor.  I'm not a big fan of the wire stock though.  It looks cool and is really compact, but it feels funky.  I like the fixed stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hence the dilemma!

No mags are probably more expensive for the AR

Mags that WORK are more expensive for the AR.  Only the Colts seem to reliable.  Jeff
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]
All I can say is, I have my AR6450 already, LEO marked.  Fun gun to shoot.  I have considered turning to an SBR.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top