Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 3:40:22 PM EDT
Hi.  I'm feeling Im at the end of my patience with things, Its been 6 months since I lost my job and Im about to run out of unemployment, I cant find another job doing anything that isnt 5 something an hour.

I need to find a job or something that will take up nearly all my time, I am currently very angry and have a few other problems that will go away if something takes up all my time.  

I have been thinking about joining the military hoping it might help with these problems, I just finished my app. for a jailer today but I dont exactly see getting that job.  Basicly the few things that I do well is stuff with guns, computer work, and searching over things for problems.  

If anyone has any advice for me Id be thankful.  Im going to sit here and shine up my boots since I already came home and shaved my head (which was something I basicly did out of fustration and anger).

Also Im 21 not into any kind of drugs, or even alchol, smoking or anything.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thrown out of my home at 17. Finished high school while working a full time job. Had my own place...shortly after graduating one day I woke up to my buds drinking a 5th of MR. Boston in the kitchen. Went to the recruiters office that afternoon and 2 months later I was standing in boot camp. (US Navy) Best thing I ever did.

That was 24 years ago. Did a 6 year tour got my shit squared away, learned respect and responsibility, and figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I do not regret it for a second.

If you have hit the wall at 21, think about a tour of your branch choice. You can go to college while seeing alot of this ol world of ours. I have been around it twice.

Good Luck [headbang]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I need to find a job or something that will take up nearly all my time, I am currently very angry and have a few other problems that will go away if something takes up all my time.  
Thanks
View Quote

Is there any reason why you dont want to go into college?  Interest rates are very very low right now, and the economy will be better after you graduate.  Is it because there's nothing you want to study?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Is there any reason why you dont want to go into college?  Interest rates are very very low right now, and the economy will be better after you graduate.  Is it because there's nothing you want to study?
View Quote

Basicly not having something to go for was one reason.  I grad. with distincution, made like 12something on SAT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
DEC may have a good idea there.  I was 17 when I went into the USAF.  It was through the experience, demands, responsibility, and so forth that I matured and got a better handle on life.  I did 21 years and overall I enjoyed it.  It wouldn't hurt to go talk to the recruiters.  Just remember, they are salesmen who have to make quotas.  Be a smart shopper, decide what you want, and then get it in writing.

If your academic description is accurate I'd advise finding a career field that would be mentally stimulating and challenging.  Nothing worse for an intelligent guy than to get stuck in a drudge job.

In the mean time, I'd advise you to take whatever work you can.  It will provide some income (albeit limited) and keep you occupied.  Even in a fast food place, a person who excels can move up to assistant manager.  Don't think about a job like that as a dead-end if you're wanting more.  Think about it in terms of the experience you'd gain, as in managing a workforce and resources to achieve goals.  Management is management.  The rest is details.  

On a final note, keeping yourself occupied doesn't make problems go away.  It just keeps you too busy to think about them.  Resolving issues, or just letting go of the petty ones that don't really matter in the long run, will go a long way toward lowering your stress level.

So, get moving and do something!  Live your life!  Why, if I was 21 again......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top