Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 6:29:52 PM EDT

I bought a lightweight 16in CAR upper here on AR-15.com a number of years ago.  It is exactly what I want (1in12 twist, pencil barrel, etc).  But, the damned thing has a canted front sight.  I took it to a gunsmith in Sioux Falls, SD who had done some fine work on a few other guns of mine, I figured he'd do just as well with putting the front sight of this upper on straight too.  But, no can do.  It is now canted the other way.

So... can anyone point me to a reputable gunsmith who REALLY knows the AR-15?  All I want to do is send the upper to get "fixed".  

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it yourself.

Or ship it to ADCO here on the boards
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
whats this AR15 you speak of?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
oh and use ADCO
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldnt know where to begin, really.  I've done about everything on the AR-15, save for tinkering with the barrel-receiver mate.

All I would need is the barrel vice and wrench?  And then some patience?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Torque wrench, action vise & barrel wrench

It's easy, great to have for rebarrelling
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Lay the upper on your lap and whack the FSB with a rubber mallet or IM Dano523.  It's not rocket science, I've done it with a bushy upper and had positive results.

Where did you find a 16" 1/12 LW barrel?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lay the upper on your lap and whack the FSB with a rubber mallet or IM Dano523.  It's not rocket science, I've done it with a bushy upper and had positive results.

I bought the upper from Chuck Norris.    The upper is an older upper.  It has the A1 sights, A1 flash hider, it *had* the tear-drop forward assist.  Actually, I dont remember who I bought it from.  I just remember the price being right and me wanting that particular set up.

Regarding teh rubber mallet: I'd rather have the barrel on straight and not have a crooked FSB.  But, believe me, I thought about it.    I actually had the mallet out but didnt have the guts to hit my baby like that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just how much torque is needed???  

Are there "set marks/lines" on teh receiver and barrel that show "squared up".
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do it yourself.

Or ship it to ADCO here on the boards

I highly recommend them.  They did work on several rifles.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought the upper from Chuck Norris.    The upper is an older upper.  It has the A1 sights, A1 flash hider, it *had* the tear-drop forward assist.  Actually, I dont remember who I bought it from.  I just remember the price being right and me wanting that particular set up.

Regarding teh rubber mallet: I'd rather have the barrel on straight and not have a crooked FSB.  But, believe me, I thought about it.    I actually had the mallet out but didnt have the guts to hit my baby like that.

The rubber mallet trick is a proven "fix" that is not that hard.  It's like slaping your dog when he pisses on your tire.  I guess if you want to pay someone to fix a simple non-warranty issue than that is "OK".
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeappers.  I did.  Gary's Gun Shop in Sioux Falls.  That shop really is the only thing worth a shit anywhere near my neck of the woods ( Il ive an hour south of SF).  Like I said, the gun smiths there did a great job on the previous items I had them work on.  I figured they could do this too.  Nope.  I was wrong.  They do everything but AR-15/aslt rifles I was told (after the fact).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright alright.  I'll try it.  I'll beat on my beloved tomorrow.  Right now, I have a 'lil baby girl sleeping very sound upstairs, directly above my gun room.  So I'll pass on the noise for now.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Derek at AZEX would fix that lickty split . No sweat .
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag for results.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Free Tweak!

With the purchase of any tweak of equal or lesser value..
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Does that really work without damaging the upper?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Free Tweak!

excuse me ignorance, what happened to Tweak!? I keep seeing that posted.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Free Tweak!

excuse me ignorance, what happened to Tweak!? I keep seeing that posted.

Long story short, we won't be seeing him until the end of his sentence.

There's a thread in WA hometown , I believe.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=220148

found it
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that really work without damaging the upper?

"Things" move.....hammers swing.....sights align.   Some people call it magic, I call it determination......
I like to do it myself if possible.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]
you're in the wrong place. you're looking for www.hk-54.com/
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Just how much torque is needed???  

Are there "set marks/lines" on teh receiver and barrel that show "squared up".

Download the TM for the proper procedure & numbers.

Essentially, you torque it 3 times.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
you're in the wrong place. you're looking for www.hk-54.com/

that link works just like an HK... always "under construction".  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I spoke with Tom Barr of Quality Parts Corp(aka Bushmasters) on their 800 number about this.  He says to put a front sight properly on an AR15 is a "real bitch."  He said they use a special jig to keep all of the pieces lined up correctly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Free Tweak!

+1

I sure miss him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The barrel plugs into a keyed socket like a pully on a shaft with a key to index it. Unless some torgue happy wrench monkey sheared the key pin or split the key slot in the receiver there is very little rotational slop possible.  If some mutton head installed your front sight on crooked in reference to this key then that's the way it's going to be.  The hammer whack can move the front sight some but last move of desparation for a barrel assy. built wrong.

The only other option is to open up the slot in the reciever where the pin slides in.  It only takes a couple thousands to move the front sight quite a bit.  And this only works of the fron tsight is canted to the right (when looking down the sights).  Reason being, when you tighten the barrel nut it tends to turn the barrel clockwise, and keeps the pin tight to the left side of the recivier (when look at the frnt of it).  The only drawback is that if the FSB takes a hard it it might move a bit, necessitating the aforementioned mallet whack or retorquing of the barrel/barrel nut.  

I just did this tonight on a flattop I picked up off the EE.  Used a dremel and cut off wheel, took about 5 tries to take enough off.  Always take very little off and work sloooooowly when doing this kind of work.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The only other option is to open up the slot in the reciever where the pin slides in.  It only takes a couple thousands to move the front sight quite a bit.

Actually the correct way is to adjust the slot like TheKill says here, and not start whacking the front sight base with a mallet.  Geez, show a little finesse, guys.

And this only works of the fron tsight is canted to the right (when looking down the sights).  Reason being, when you tighten the barrel nut it tends to turn the barrel clockwise, and keeps the pin tight to the left side of the recivier (when look at the frnt of it).

Nope, it works both ways - left or right.  But most people skip the next all important step.  Fail to do this and the barrel will twist in the upper receiver to some random angle and you'll still end up with a canted FSB just like JRBL1A1.   And that step is tightening up the receiver slot so the barrel won't turn while you crank down on the barrel nut.

The way you do that is with a punch and small hammer.  I said small.  You lightly peen down the threaded area on the upper right next to the barrel pin to tighten up the slot.  I said lightly.  We're talking teeny, tiny taps, not a Full Power Shot.  And be sure to do it with the barrel in the upper so the barrel extension can act like a little anvil.  Just like it only takes a few strokes with the file to visibly move the FSB over, it only takes a few light taps to tighten up the upper receiver notch on the barrel pin.  Do it on one side or both as needed to bring the FSB up straight (as seen through the rear sight), and keep it from twisting while installing the barrel nut.

Easy, huh?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only other option is to open up the slot in the reciever where the pin slides in.  It only takes a couple thousands to move the front sight quite a bit.

Actually the correct way is to adjust the slot like TheKill says here, and not start whacking the front sight base with a mallet.  Geez, show a little finesse, guys.

And this only works of the fron tsight is canted to the right (when looking down the sights).  Reason being, when you tighten the barrel nut it tends to turn the barrel clockwise, and keeps the pin tight to the left side of the recivier (when look at the frnt of it).

Nope, it works both ways - left or right.  But most people skip the next all important step.  Fail to do this and the barrel will twist in the upper receiver to some random angle and you'll still end up with a canted FSB just like JRBL1A1.   And that step is tightening up the receiver slot so the barrel won't turn while you crank down on the barrel nut.

The way you do that is with a punch and small hammer.  I said small.  You lightly peen down the threaded area on the upper right next to the barrel pin to tighten up the slot.  I said lightly.  We're talking teeny, tiny taps, not a Full Power Shot.  And be sure to do it with the barrel in the upper so the barrel extension can act like a little anvil.  Just like it only takes a few strokes with the file to visibly move the FSB over, it only takes a few light taps to tighten up the upper receiver notch on the barrel pin.  Do it on one side or both as needed to bring the FSB up straight (as seen through the rear sight), and keep it from twisting while installing the barrel nut.

Easy, huh?

+1
I bought a 16" A1 a long time ago that had a canted front sight. Adjusting the upper receiver and barrel position solved the problem. It took a little trial and error, but the front sight tower centered up fine by adjusting the barrel in the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1

Canted front sight = incorrect assembly procedure = registration (alignment) pin jammed into soft metal of upper receiver.  This is recoverable but once the upper has been damaged in this manner you have to do the assembly correctly and not rely on the pin to keep things straight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the help guys.  I've printed all the advice and info for future reference.  Thanks.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top