Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 9:30:07 AM EDT
Here is mine, dirty after about 300 rounds from my range session today.  This gun shoots great.  Once I replaced the plastic guide rod and installed a single Wolfe recoil spring, it has been 100% reliable with any ammo.  Also, it is so light I can carry it all day with no issues.

Does anybody else have one?  How do you like yours?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
My friends dad has one of those.  Shoots pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a nice little firearm you have there.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I myself have a blued 380 Mustang Pocketlight, the mag holds 6 rounds in the mag, the older Mustang mags have a 5 round capacity.

The discontinued Colt Mustang series to me is probably one of the better that Colt designs in recent memory.  This 380 differs from the rest of the crowd of pocket autos because it actually has a locked breach.  If you look underneath the slide and and top of the barrel, there is a honest-to-goodness locking lug a la 1911.  This make for less felt recoil.  99.9% of the other 380s have a straight blow-back where the recoil spring and the weight of the slide hold the barrel and slide together until the pressure drops sufficiently, but this arrangement also makes for a pretty snappy recoil from smallish 380ACP cartridge.

On the downside, this gun is not exactly a 380 1911 clone.  Externally the gun may look similar to a 1911, but it is not identical.  The ejector is kind of strange, during the cleaning process if you push down on the ejector too far, you must press down on the sear-spring in order to reset it. Kind of a pain, but that is the way life is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice little guns but i think there way overpriced
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to get one of those for my wife. Her hands are small- this would fit her like a 1911 fits me.

Great little gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish someone would tool up and make a 9mm 1911 that is just a little larger than a pony say 1:1scale
or a 3/4 scale 1911
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one, it's my back pocket gun in the summer. As for price, they were only around 400 bucks new, but now that they are discontinued,it's supply and demand.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wish someone would tool up and make a 9mm 1911 that is just a little larger than a pony say 1:1scale
or a 3/4 scale 1911

I think a company called Detonics of Seattle WA, had something along those lines called a Pocket 9, but it was striaght blow back, and the recoil from what is I understand is really stout.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#10]
yup, and my state protects me from buying one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got one, it's my back pocket gun in the summer. As for price, they were only around 40 bucks new, but now that they are discontinued,it's supply and demand.

40 bucks.  Nah, I don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't shoot fat people in the ass with that thing. They will just dig it out and go on about their business.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
What did you replace the guide rod with?  Is the new guide rod and single recoil spring easier to takedown and reassemble than the OEM parts (those always give me trouble)?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got one, it's my back pocket gun in the summer. As for price, they were only around 40 bucks new, but now that they are discontinued,it's supply and demand.

40 bucks.  Nah, I don't think so.

ooops meant 400 bucks
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
What's great is that you have a reliable piece and you're happy.  That's the best way to ensure that you'll have it with you at all times.

HH
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I’ve got the slightly larger .380 Government.

It’s a neat little pistol with surprisingly tame recoil, but:

Its pretty reliable, but not quite 100%.

The sights are really off (it needs a higher front sight).

It’s not especially accurate (due no doubt to a loose barrel bushing and a sloppy barrel lockup in the rear).

With a little work it probably would be a decent carry pistol except maybe for the caliber.  But for me it’s just a plinker.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What did you replace the guide rod with?  Is the new guide rod and single recoil spring easier to takedown and reassemble than the OEM parts (those always give me trouble)?  

There was a company that produced metal rods that replaced the factory plastic ones.  I simply can't remember who it was.  Perhaps you can do a Google Search.
I would also like to replace the plastic trigger as well.
The factory double recoil spring was weird, I thought.  Wolfe has replacements that are just a single spring.   These are just 'drop in' parts.  It really didn't change assembly at all.

Z
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]
a friend is looking for a new slide stop, anyone have one or know of a good source?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]
This might help a bit.

shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp51/cgi-bin/cp-app.pl?&pg=cat&ref=CP107

Not cheap and not fast, but the quality and reputation are all one could want.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Colt made a "Pocket 9", though while not a 1911, was certainly close (but DAO), small and feels nice.  They're expensive because they're "collector" pieces, no longer in production.  Nice gun.  I prefer mine over a Detonics or some of the other stuff.  I also have a Kel-Tec P11.  The Colt is, of course, nicer, but the Kel-Tec is a good workhorse pistol, especially if one has the .40 conversion upper, and a .357 sig barrel as yet another variation to the .40 upper.  

The Mustang is nice, but in a .380, I'd find a Kel-Tec P32AT good enough.  The .380 caliber is light, as some say, but it is a "belly gun", let's remember.  Can be sufficiently discouraging, depening on circumstances.  I have one as a toy, but  would rather carry something heavier.  If in Miami, I'd rather carry a short barrel 629.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Agreed. I want a PPK so bad it kills me, but I feel they are overpriced. Mustangs are even worse......
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Government Model Series 80 .380 that I carry. Have had it for over 20 years. Had it tuned up by a good smith. Very reliable even with silver tips.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Mustang... I think it's a Mustang II...

Pretty nice, and not hard on recoil like a blowback 380.  Decently accurate.  However, it didn't like steel cased ammo, and it did not like Remington HP rounds.  It digs Silvertips and yellow box ball.

I'll probably sell it.   (anyone makes me a decent offer, I'll consider it)  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I’ve got the slightly larger .380 Government.

It’s a neat little pistol with surprisingly tame recoil, but:

Its pretty reliable, but not quite 100%.

The sights are really off (it needs a higher front sight).

It’s not especially accurate (due no doubt to a loose barrel bushing and a sloppy barrel lockup in the rear).

With a little work it probably would be a decent carry pistol except maybe for the caliber.  But for me it’s just a plinker.

The .380 Government was my first pistol and one that I carried often until it started being unreliable - or rather, it reliably jammed.  I need to get it worked on because when it ran it ran beautifully.

My .380 Gov has a very loose slide-frame fit and similarly loose tolerances - but for some reason it is so damned accurate.  I mean really, really accurate.  I think it is some kind of fluke.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you carry it cocked and locked?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Do you carry it cocked and locked?

Yes, you can carry it C&L.  The safety will actuate and stay in the SAFE position even if you work the slide.   Neat feature, so you can make hot without having to disengage the safety.  Nice little feature.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#27]
You could always get a Beretta Tomcat....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone say compact 9mm?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a stainless Mustang +2.  Love it.  To me the best carry gun is the one you will actually carry, and that Mustang goes anywhere.  Sure if it came down to it I would rather have my 1911, but most of the time, especially in the summer, it's gonna be a Mustang in the pocket or just the folding knife.

But yea, that ejector going down into the mag well when cleaning it is a bitch...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#30]
That is a Sweet little Mustang you have there
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a pic of mine that has been my companion since 1990. When I first got it, one day on the range, a fellow dept. member asked if I could hit any thing at a distance with that "little thing"
We had been speed shooting Bowling pins with revolvers at about 8yds. I said "set em up" as I walked back to the 50 yd line. As soon as the line was safe, I began shooting six rounds at the pins as fast as I could line up the sights. Four (4) pins fell and rolled off the table! Hell, even I was surprised.
The mag in the gun is a 7 shot Colt pony mag. The finger grip spacers is just electrical tape,but hell it works! This little gun is 100% reliable with every type ammo that I have tried. It is stoked with Win Silver tips regularly.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Its a boss gun.  I love it.  Patty

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Its a boss gun.  I love it.  Patty
www.fastdirectory.net/084.jpg

damm! Patty thats a good looking ----pic of your gun----the rest is pretty nice also.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#34]
my goverment "protects " me from the rohrbaugh or from buying a mustang from out of state.

I wish that all off the other states would keep their liberals at home..instead of shipping them out to us in California
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
my goverment "protects " me from the rohrbaugh or from buying a mustang from out of state.

I wish that all off the other states would keep their liberals at home..instead of shipping them out to us in California

We seem to have a bit of a problem with them coming north.  

Patty PS Thank you CaptSchofield
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I have a Mustang... I think it's a Mustang II...

Pretty nice, and not hard on recoil like a blowback 380.  Decently accurate.  However, it didn't like steel cased ammo, and it did not like Remington HP rounds.  It digs Silvertips and yellow box ball.

I'll probably sell it.   (anyone makes me a decent offer, I'll consider it)  

The 2 worst pistols I ever owned were Colt Mustangs. Unreliable garbage that spent the majority of the time I had both of them at Colt supposedly being fixed, which they never were.

The incredible thing was after the horrible experience I had with the first one I bought another one and gave the Mustang and Colt a second chance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Don't shoot fat people in the ass with that thing. They will just dig it out and go on about their business.

Now why would you want to shoot anyone in the ass with any handgun? If they are running away why shoot em in the ass? Now if they pissed you off enough to shoot'em how about the head? Um?
I feel much more comfortable when I have to to travel in the high crime rate areas of my state if I have my pocketlite 380. It's better than a .22, .32, knife or broken beer bottle. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

They are priced correctly, for what they are.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
a friend is looking for a new slide stop, anyone have one or know of a good source?

e-gunparts.com
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

e-gunparts.com

Since the gun has been out of production for awhile, spare parts such as firing pins, and extractors etc could be hard to find.  Fortunately for me, I had to the foresight to buy spare firing pin & extractor from Natchez Shooting Supplies when spare parts from Colt were readily available.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got a Pony ...no need to worry about cocked and locked....DAO
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Brownells has some Colt .380 parts.  However, even with the dealer discount, they aren’t cheap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top