Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/17/2006 6:28:41 AM EDT
It took $150 total  (lawyer fee) and about 30 minutes of my time. My lawyer requested a jury trial. The trial was scheduled for today. I stopped by the court house on my way to work. They called my name about 30 minutes later, and the prosecutor proclaimed "TacticalStrat: CASE DISMISSED".

They dismissed about 75% of the 20 people total that were there. I highly recommend this route if you want to get out of a ticket.

Sweet!!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]

I take it the ticket was for more than $150?

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#2]
But you paid $150?  *rubs neck in confusion*

Was the ticket nasty?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
did you do what the ticket was for?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It took $150 total and about 30 minutes of my time. My lawyer requested a jury trial. The trial was scheduled for today. I stopped by the court house on my way to work. They called my name about 30 minutes later, and the prosecutor proclaimed "TacticalStrat: CASE DISMISSED".

They dismissed about 75% of the 20 people total that were there. I highly recommend this route if you want to get out of a ticket.

Sweet!!!!

How much would the fine have been if you just did traffic school? We dont have a jury trial option for speeding tickets here.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I say kudos.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Was the ticket nasty?

Points/ Insurance/ Next one on top of this one? That's where the real "cost" are. The "fine" is usually the least of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Who cares how much the ticket was for?  He got off with NOTHING on his record.  Just be careful because after a while the court will get wary to your game and not let you off so easy the 2nd or 3rd time around.  Trust me, I've taken the same route as you more than a couple times for when I had my mustang and couldn't keep my foot off the loud pedal.  The money you spend on an attorney is WELL worth it in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It took $150 total and about 30 minutes of my time. My lawyer requested a jury trial. The trial was scheduled for today. I stopped by the court house on my way to work. They called my name about 30 minutes later, and the prosecutor proclaimed "TacticalStrat: CASE DISMISSED".

Sweet!!!!

Cool.  Next time you can request a trial by jury yourself for free.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet!!!!

That was the 20% that wasn't dismissed - lawyers take care of themselves.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#10]
quick question, were you speeding?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
stickin' it to the man
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet!!!!

That was the 2025% that wasn't dismissed - lawyers take care of themselves.

Why would a lawyer intentionaly loose a case?  Most of them proclaim you only pay them if you win, not to mention with something like a traffic ticket, only a one time fee.  I would want to keep my reputation as winning as many cases as possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How much would the fine have been if you just did traffic school? We dont have a jury trial option for speeding tickets here.

We have that option here in Calif, but you have to make an appearance to request on.

That was definitely a gamble.  Because if they had really gone to trial and you lost, you would've been charged for the court costs.  I bet that the offense was not all that serious.  The government depends on people who just pay the fine because this is definitely a revenue stream, now if you hassle them a bit they don't want to spend their lawyers time to go to trial beause it is just too much work when there is bigger fish to fry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was the ticket nasty?

Points/ Insurance/ Next one on top of this one? That's where the real "cost" are. The "fine" is usually the least of it.

Exactly right.  A lot of people will just look at lawyer cost vs. fine.  AS you point out, the insurance can go up $300., and that's per year, which may go on for 3 years.  ANother issue is, depending on State, whether one gets "bonus" points for, say, three tickets in 18 months.  If he gets two more tickets, whether justified or not, in 18 months, he's automatically screwed unless he has this one off the record.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:35:35 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are ever called to court as a defendant, ALWAYS hire a lawyer.  The State already has one working against you.

Anytime you are before a Judge, you have already done 2 things wrong, you 1. broke the law, and 2. you got caught.

You are now playing on the State's turf, and they make the rules.  A Lawyer is the least you can do to try to even out the odds a little.

If you think just a minor ticket for  XXXXX is nothing, it can be used as habitual offender (traffic) to really screw you should have a woopsie or two in the near future.  A friend came real close to a 10 year (yes, I said 10 year!) license suspension over a speeding ticket, 15 over.  He had several other speeding tickets in recent past.

Other infractions can affect business and professional licenses, CCW license, and Gov't Security clearances.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Since I have never gotten a ticket I didn't deserve, I just pay them.  My  insurance rates have never gone up because of an occassional ticket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you are ever called to court as a defendant, ALWAYS hire a lawyer.  The State already has one working against you.

Anytime you are before a Judge, you have already done 2 things wrong, you 1. broke the law, and 2. you got caught.

You are now playing on the State's turf, and they make the rules.  A Lawyer is the least you can do to try to even out the odds a little.

If you think just a minor ticket for  XXXXX is nothing, it can be used as habitual offender (traffic) to really screw you should have a woopsie or two in the near future.  A friend came real close to a 10 year (yes, I said 10 year!) license suspension over a speeding ticket, 15 over.  He had several other speeding tickets in recent past.

Other infractions can affect business and professional licenses, CCW license, and Gov't Security clearances.

Your friend needs to slow the fuck down or get better at watching for cops.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not putting a lot of faith in the "innocent until proven guilty" clause
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not putting a lot of faith in the "innocent until proven guilty" clause

It is a nice platatude, but you are guilty untill you can show you aren't.  Ask the arresting officer, he was the State's representative who was at the scene of the arrest.  Everything else is just formalities to collect the fine.

As far as doing 2 things wrong, I have had LEO's say the same thing.  Just don't do one of the 2 things and you are fine.

As far as my "speedy friend" I have been trying to get him to stop.  He dropped out of high school and makes his living with his CDL, he is 21.  He doesn't have a clue how screwed he will be if he loses his license for 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Since I have never gotten a ticket I didn't deserve, I just pay them.  My  insurance rates have never gone up because of an occassional ticket.

If you have a good DMV record, and you've been with your insurance company for a number of years, some  insurance company usually don't check the DMV record everytime you renew your insurance because most of those DMV checks cost them time & money.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
stickin' it to the man

EXACTLY!! That's the bottom-line. My fine would have been about $30 more,  but that's not the issue for me. I am not going to put up with the traffic ticket revenue scam that local govt perpetrates onto it's citizens. Fook em!! I'll fight every single ticket I get.

BTW, a drivers training class would have cost me about $130 total and taken 6 hours of my time. This deal costs $150 total and 30 minutes of my time.

I have another ticket that is outstanding and my attorney told me he worked a deal on that one also (that took two years before the trial came up). It was for 28MPH over the limit and the fine would have been $350+ and thousands more $$$ in insurance premiums. On that ticket he worked out deferred adjudication with a $150 fine and 30 days probation. The ticket will not be on my record. The lawyer fee for that was $150. So $150 lawyer fee plus $150 actual fine is still less that the original fine for the ticket, and I have no ticket on my record....so no increased insurance premium. This ticket is in a different district and they don't even require I show up for court. It took ZERO investment of my time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

5MPH over the limit. I think it was in a 50MPH zone as I recall. So 55MPH in a 50MPH. It was on Christmas day 2005. I was headed to the airport early in the morning and I was the only car on the road. Tell me that wasn't a ticket given strictly for revenue generation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As far as my "speedy friend" I have been trying to get him to stop.  He dropped out of high school and makes his living with his CDL, he is 21.  He doesn't have a clue how screwed he will be if he loses his license for 10 years.

Around here it would be impossible to get a CDL job with a driving record of any kind.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
stickin' it to the man

EXACTLY!! That's the bottom-line. My fine would have been about $30 more,  but that's not the issue for me. I am not going to put up with the traffic ticket revenue scam that local govt perpetrates onto it's citizens. Fook em!! I'll fight every single ticket I get.

I've got an even better idea for you.

Slow down.

That's what I do and I haven't had a ticket in over 40 years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
stickin' it to the man

I've got an even better idea for you.

Slow down.

That's what I do and I haven't had a ticket in over 40 years.

Well......I've had about 30 tickets in 30 years.....and I still have a safe drivers discount on my car insurance.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice job shirking personal responsibility. You're a real hero.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

When you start paying your own car insurance  (instead of Daddy paying it for you), you'll understand.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
stickin' it to the man

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#31]
not taking sides but

Quoted:
When you start paying your own car insurance  (instead of Daddy paying it for you), you'll understand.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#32]
My Lawyer charges $250 per hour. I think if I were guilty of a traffic crime I will just pay the fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do pay my own car insurance, champ. I also have received a speeding ticket and manned up enough to pay it, instead of tucking tail and hiding behind a lawyer in a suit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
not taking sides but

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#35]
If I was a lawyer I would take ammunition as payment.

I have a feeling ARFCOM could keep me busy!

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

+1.  That is what I have always done.

Well, sort of.  I did get one that was totally bogus, the cop was a liar.... but I just paid it because I didnt have time for the hassle.  That was 15 years ago.  I maybe get pulled over once every 5 years.... I dont speed much.

So the State owes me one....  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do pay my own car insurance, champ. I also have received a speeding ticket and manned up enough to pay it, instead of tucking tail and hiding behind a lawyer in a suit.

Accepting more punishment than you are required to is hardly intelligent or noble, particularly since there is nothing morally or ethically wrong with going faster than the posted speed limit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me translate that for you:

Roboman: "I do pay my own car insurance. Daddy sends me the money and I deposit it in my allowance checking account. I then write a check and send it in to my insurance company.  I am not too smart because I view paying a traffic ticket as the metric of what makes a man. I still wet my bed."
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5MPH over the limit. I think it was in a 50MPH zone as I recall. So 55MPH in a 50MPH. It was on Christmas day 2005. I was headed to the airport early in the morning and I was the only car on the road. Tell me that wasn't a ticket given strictly for revenue generation.

No shit!  Good for you.  I have never had an experience like that.  All of my past infractions (except the one) I was well over the posted limit, I knew it, and the officer was right on the money.  That is why it is hard for me to justify fighting them.  I was breaking the law, and I knew it, and knew the risks.

Now I do things the Old Painless way..... just slow down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, i will. that wasnt a ticket given for revenue generation. you broke the law. you knew the law, and yet you still broke it. i have NEVER gotten a ticket. wanna know why? I DONT FUCKING SPEED! thats right. speed limit 50? i set my damn cruise control on 50. just because EVERYONE ELSE does something DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

worry about insurance? drive the speed limit. would have saved you lawyer fees as well!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Who's the bigger dumbass?

The guy who saves thousands on insurance premiums because he "shirked personal responsibility"?

The guy who has points on his license, higher insurance, and a blemish on a license because he was man enough to pay, and has no money to play?

The whole accepting responsibility speech ends with government affairs.

Accept responsibility when you cheat on your girl, when you fuck up at work, when you knock a girl up, lose your house etc.. But anything government related, fuck them, when they show me the courtesy, I'll do the same.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are speaking as though the whole traffic ticket thing is some sort of honorable pursuit, governed by Marquis of Queensbury rules.    

Gimme a break - it's one big game, treat it as such.  It's not like he's not paying child support or something like that, so spare us the drama.

And for the record, I've not had a ticket since 1997 (which was for 10 over).  I tend to drive pretty sanely, and the reason I don't have tickets is because I obey the laws, save for going 82MPH or so on I-25 because that's what traffic is doing.

And for those of you who think that only speeders get tickets, I was given three at the same time years ago, for a case of mistaken identity, and two of the tickets were outright lies by the police.  I got an attorney and fought it.  I guess that makes me a slimy bastard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I take it the ticket was for more than $150?

"Millions for defense, but not a cent for tribute."
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
just because EVERYONE ELSE does something DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

And just because you don't do it doesn't make it wrong.  The speed limit laws weren't handed down by God on the mountain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are speaking as though the whole traffic ticket thing is some sort of honorable pursuit, governed by Marquis of Queensbury rules.    Gimme a break - it's one big game, treat it as such.  It's not like he's not paying child support or something like that, so spare us the drama.

EXACTLY!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

EXACTLY!!

See my above post
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me translate that for you:

Roboman: "I do pay my own car insurance. Daddy sends me the money and I deposit it in my allowance checking account. I then write a check and send it in to my insurance company.  I am not too smart because I view paying a traffic ticket as the metric of what makes a man. I still wet my bed."

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Who's the bigger dumbass?

The guy who saves thousands on insurance premiums because he "shirked personal responsibility"?

The guy who has points on his license, higher insurance, and a blemish on a license because he was man enough to pay, and has no money to play?

The whole accepting responsibility speech ends with government affairs.

Accept responsibility when you cheat on your girl, when you fuck up at work, when you knock a girl up, lose your house etc.. But anything government related, fuck them, when they show me the courtesy, I'll do the same.

+1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top