Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 10/16/2008 2:50:15 PM EDT
And I want to go!  What?  Yeah, I've been pretty bored lately, figured I might as well make someone else's life miserable.  I keed.

But my problem is that the Oregon Constitution forbids anyone with a conviction of a misdemeanor involving dishonesty from serving as a grand juror(which I'd also like to do), if convicted within 5 years.  I made a very stupid mistake 4 years ago, I plead no contest and paid the piper (which did not include incarceration or community service).

But I'm confused about what having plead "no contest" means.  Was I convicted of a crime?  I'm under the impression that being convicted specifically means pleading "guilty."

I've never failed a background check, I've maintained an 03FFL and I'd not strayed out of bounds before or since I plead no contest.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:56:15 PM EDT
No contest means you do not contest the allegation of your having committed a given act, but you won't plead guilty.  The net result is a conviction on your record.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:06:40 PM EDT
Thanks.

I plead in California.  Is there a benefit to avoiding summons' for the next year, as me checking the box that says "I was convicted" is the first time the state of Oregon has heard of my charge, and may bring more information into the state, working against me in the future?  That is, can I avoid the summons' until 5 years have passed and never have my past brought to Oregon with me?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:43:14 PM EDT
Contact the local DA and ask.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:48:54 PM EDT
No contest means you won't contest the charge. Treated almost the same as a guilty plea. Depending on the circumstances you might ask the court to expunge your record if you've been a good guy since your incident.

Disclose it and they can make their determination, if you don't disclose it then you might end up in hot water.
Top Top