Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2005 1:08:50 PM EDT
My 45 day wait for CCW is up on or before Dec 3rd.  I ordered a FIST IWB holster, their narrow IWB style www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/21.htm   I've also lost about 25lbs over the last few months so I can fit in a 34 waist, but am wearing 36's and even have one pair of 38's.  I don't yet have the holster, since the lead time on them is about a month and I only ordered it a few weeks ago, but I would like to know about how much extra room you all reqire to carry your CCW piece in an IWB holster.  My CCW gun is a full size P99.  I'm getting to the point where my 36's are way too loose, but don't want to shop for more 34's just yet if I'll be carrying.  

So figure 2-3 inches extra in the waist for you IWB guys?  

Also, does anyone have experience with FIST brand holsters?  Of all the ones I looked at (milt sparks, rosen, and a few others) this particular one looked to be the best for me.  It also can be switched to your weak side for a cross draw.  

Finally.  How comfortable is your CCW piece on your strong (or weak) side when you're sitting and or driving in the car?  
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Two inches extra works for me.

I haven't used a Fist, but it looks like a nice holster. I have a Sparks VMII. The advantage of the VMII is the offset belt loops, which reduce the over all bulk of the holster. So even though you are getting the thin Fist holster, my VMII will still have a thinner profile.

I also use a CompTac C.T.A.C., which also uses the offset belt attachments.

I really think that offset belt attachments are the best way to carry IWB.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't want your pants too loose as the weight of the weapon will make your pants droop, unless of course you already wear them that way

Seriously, I wear the same pants I always do. HTH.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the C.TAC also .    I think i wear 32 wait with the holster 34.    
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't bother with buying different sized pants for CCW.  I can comfortably carry a 1911 IWB in all my pants, even if they're already tight.   Even if my pants are loose, I have to tighten my belt so much to keep the gun in place that it's a moot point.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
2 inches over "snug" pants works just fine for me and my Beretta 9000.

Don't hesitate to play around with holster placement.  A fraction of an inch can make a big difference in comfort and conceablity.

Make damn sure you have a *GOOD* belt.  Best holster in the world will suck ass without a *GOOD* belt.  Most typical department store leather belts simply won't give you the support and stability that a holster requires.

Since I'm usually in jeans I use a 1-3/4" 5 stitch Wilderness Instructors belt.  Added advantage of being infinitely adjustable.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Since I'm usually in jeans I use a 1-3/4" 5 stitch Wilderness Instructors belt.  Added advantage of being infinitely adjustable.

I was looking at The Wilderness' site the other day and from what I saw they don't seem to think their belt is infinitely adjustable. I saw lots of gnashing of teeth about measuring correctly yadda yadda and proper velcro placement, etc blah...   What gives?
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
There are some good points here. I do not alter the waist size of my pants for no-carry or carry. I use wilderness belts too.

Here is what I have learned,
I am a pant size 32
I buy 34" and 35" wilderness belts (I ordered the odd size from wilderness)
I have had no problems. I use a FIST leather and Galco Summer Comfort both IWB for a G27 and G23.
The fit and ride of the gun and holster depends on the shape of your body, especially your ass and I don't want to know anything more....

my $.02
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Milt Sparks VM2 and my Les Baer TRS,or VM2 and SA Compact Lightweight  is all I have to say.
Actually check with Milt Sparks I don't know if they make the VM2 for a S&W99 .
The VM2 is the most comfortable IMHO also the Executive Companion.
Lou Alessi also makes some great stuff.The wait maybe long at either but worth it.
You can pay a little more from Lightning Arms but you'll have it in a few days.
Check out the 1911forums.1911.org and 1911forum.com I think.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I buy my pants about one size bigger.  I use a Tucker Leather belt and FIST holster and mag holders.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
1"-2" extra inches in the waist of your pants will be fine.

And like someone else sadi, a *good* belt is vital.

I'd rather have a cheap holster than a cheap belt.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I was looking for this as well, so thanks for all the info.

I've been trying to get ahold of Dave Vaughan at Threat Solutions, as his "Ultra Concealment Rig" looks like it would be perfect for me.

www.threatsolutions.com/holsterindex.html

But he's not responding to calls or e-mail. Must be on assignment or something.

Does anybody know this guy?

Thanks!

~GryphonX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top