Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 9:48:50 AM EDT
lets say you a part of a two person shop, the other guy being the manager.  Upon starting at this wonderful organization you realize this where people come to die.  Things are really backwards and no one really gives a shit.  

we have constant power issues, we have power strips piggy backed into other power strips four down the chain.  Most of the servers are blinking orange for various reasons.  The manager never stays late to work on projects or comes in early it's all on me.

If anything  breaks it's blamed on me, I tell them we need new equipment and never get it, but when something doesn't work it gets blamed on me.

Got about 10 new servers in and the project fell onto me to rack,mount,cable,power all of them after hours with no overtime just will cut my hours later.  So while my cohort is making 6 figures here i am stuck at around 32 k a year

what in the holy hell..

constant mood swings from management, can't ask any questions without getting attitude.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
lets say you a part of a two person shop, the other guy being the manager. Upon starting at this wonderful organization you realize this where people come to die. Things are really backwards and no one really gives a shit.

we have constant power issues, we have power strips piggy backed into other power strips four down the chain. Most of the servers are blinking orange for various reasons. The manager never stays late to work on projects or comes in early it's all on me.

If anything breaks it's blamed on me, I tell them we need new equipment and never get it, but when something doesn't work it gets blamed on me.

Got about 10 new servers in and the project fell onto me to rack,mount,cable,power all of them after hours with no overtime just will cut my hours later. So while my cohort is making 6 figures here i am stuck at around 32 k a year

what in the holy hell..

constant mood swings from management, can't ask any questions without getting attitude.
-------

So what's the question?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Put your Rez out there and find a new job.

I'm a one man IT shop so it's all on me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on how bad shit gets fucked up it will fall on the boss.  More so if you're not there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lets say you a part of a two person shop, the other guy being the manager. Upon starting at this wonderful organization you realize this where people come to die. Things are really backwards and no one really gives a shit.

we have constant power issues, we have power strips piggy backed into other power strips four down the chain. Most of the servers are blinking orange for various reasons. The manager never stays late to work on projects or comes in early it's all on me.

If anything breaks it's blamed on me, I tell them we need new equipment and never get it, but when something doesn't work it gets blamed on me.

Got about 10 new servers in and the project fell onto me to rack,mount,cable,power all of them after hours with no overtime just will cut my hours later. So while my cohort is making 6 figures here i am stuck at around 32 k a year

what in the holy hell..

-------

So what's the question?
View Quote

more of a rant
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Would you take the job again with what you know now? if you can say no, then you should quit.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Bail my friend.. run away.  Pop smoke and run!

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Leave.  If you are as good as you think you are, there are a lot of good IT jobs out there for you.

I left an IT job like that 14 years ago and never looked back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Plenty of opportunity out there in the IT field.  

Sounds like it is time for you to consider making a change.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

more of a rant
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what in the holy hell..

-------

So what's the question?

more of a rant

Then you should change the thread title.

Sounds like your job sucks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#11]
That's standard practice, except you get hours reimbursed, which is not usual. 32k a year is pretty low though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#12]
1st world problems.

IT is often feast or famine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's standard practice, except you get hours reimbursed, which is not usual. 32k a year is pretty low though.
View Quote

sad part is it's more like 28 k a year..i was just trying to avoid all embarrassment  

i'm A+, Network+, security +

working on server 2012
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing he is just starting in IT.  In that light 32k wouldn't be all that bad and lucky he's not working the help desk.  Slug it out till he gets enough experience to land a better job.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm guessing you're a young fellow too, it's IT, you don't get to use the good coffee cup yet dude.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm guessing he is just starting in IT.  In that light 32k wouldn't be all that bad and lucky he's not working the help desk.  Slug it out till he gets enough experience to land a better job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i work the helpdesk and do the other duties, i do it all
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
lets say you a part of a two person shop, the other guy being the manager.  Upon starting at this wonderful organization you realize this where people come to die.  Things are really backwards and no one really gives a shit.  

we have constant power issues, we have power strips piggy backed into other power strips four down the chain.  Most of the servers are blinking orange for various reasons.  The manager never stays late to work on projects or comes in early it's all on me.

If anything  breaks it's blamed on me, I tell them we need new equipment and never get it, but when something doesn't work it gets blamed on me.

Got about 10 new servers in and the project fell onto me to rack,mount,cable,power all of them after hours with no overtime just will cut my hours later.  So while my cohort is making 6 figures here i am stuck at around 32 k a year

what in the holy hell..

View Quote

Fuck all that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#18]
tell them to give you a raise and provide a decent work space or you are gone.  Make sure you have floated your resume before you quit though....
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#19]
you didn't ask a question but i'll answer it anyway - you quit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#20]
are there actual, paying customers?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
sad part is it's more like 28 k a year..i was just trying to avoid all embarrassment  

working on server 2012
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

working on server 2012
Then what you really have is a highly paid unemployment position.

Resume out. Network. You have creds...even w/out experience you should be able to make more than that.

I started at $35k right out of college...in '99. With just an MIS degree.

Things went sideways (as a country, not job...had a good job with a good company that I liked) and I joined the Army when things kicked off and did a stint there so no longer in IT...but still

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
tell them to give you a raise and provide a decent work space or you are gone.  Make sure you have floated your resume before you quit though....
View Quote

i think they are bumping me up a little in January a little being around 33 k a year; this is all after four years here..with no raises aside from a small 4 percent cost of living raise once in three years
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not incredibly uncommon in small shops, sorry to say. What's your professional experience look like?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I work for a huge mondocorp that is a Fortune itty bitty number.

This morning I worked on a Sun Ultra 2 server running Solaris 10. The OS install was in 1998, and the last time it was patched was >10 years ago. It hasn't been rebooted in 4.5 years, and had 2GB hard drives and 128MB of RAM.

A director told me it was mission critical and we had to do whatever is needed to fix it.

It is messed up everywhere. As long as the paycheck clears, suck it up Nancy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work hard and learn whatever you can, and then move on. I started repairing computers during school for like $7. By the time, I was 27 I was making $100k in the Security field. 6 years later I am now making $150k+.

Just keep at it, add more certs and experience.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

working on server 2012
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

working on server 2012

I don't know about Texan taxes and living expenses but in WI I make over 36K in IT starting, and I think it's still low for my workload (doesn't everyone ). I'm not certified in jack (I would be but the job sucks up all my time). Time for a new job buddy!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know about Texan taxes and living expenses but in WI I make over 36K in IT starting, and I think it's still low for my workload (doesn't everyone ). I'm not certified in jack (I would be but the job sucks up all my time). Time for a new job buddy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working on server 2012

yep it's horrible here..but i'm stuck for the time being
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Suck it up.  Learn everything you can.  Do everything you can.  Then in a year or two leave and make double.  Meanwhile start interviewing at other places and list a salary 25% higher than your ideal salary.  Opportunities can come at any time but you have to keep looking.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Suck it up.  Learn everything you can.  Do everything you can.  Then in a year or two leave and make double.  Meanwhile start interviewing at other places and list a salary 25% higher than your ideal salary.  Opportunities can come at any time but you have to keep looking.
View Quote

will do, thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

working on server 2012
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

working on server 2012

Are you working for a state government agency?  That would explain the people not caring and the very low pay especially for your certs.  There are plenty of good paying jobs out there, time to start looking.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are you working for a state government agency?  That would explain the people not caring and the very low pay especially for your certs.  There are plenty of good paying jobs out there, time to start looking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working on server 2012

actually yes
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

working on server 2012
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

working on server 2012

You should be able to do well better than that in Texas.  Also, get some certs that aren't shit.  (Microsoft/Cisco/VMWare)
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You should be able to do well better than that in Texas.  Also, get some certs that aren't shit.  (Microsoft/Cisco/VMWare)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working on server 2012

working my way up to those..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

what in the holy hell..
View Quote

You know what must be done...

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I try to view things in a positive way.  I definitely understand it can be frustrating though.  In IT experience and being able to explain in technical detail things that you have worked on will get you your next job.  So yeah it sucks you are stuck doing everything but look at it this way, you can get hands on experience doing everything.  In your next interview you can go into detail about how you spent many late nights racking the new servers properly, organizing the wires, straightening out some of the power issues...etc.  Everything you do is a skill you are learning and every problem with the current hardware is a new learning experience.  

If things don't change in a year or two then you need to get out of their.  A toxic environment like that will demoralize and ruin you.  The place I currently work at is like that.  I make good money and I'm learning a ton of new software and developing new skills.  It kills my soul working here though because no one cares.  People come in late and no one cares.  Projects get delayed months and then all of a sudden it is urgent that it be finished immediately and I'm working 12 to 18 hour days, only to have the project put on hold again.  My next project is setting up to be more of that.  I'm having to find small things to keep myself busy at the moment because we are waiting for processes to re-purpose our servers.  But I know as soon as they are given to us I will be expected to have and entire server farm setup within days even though the process of installing, updating, and configuring a single server takes several days by itself.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This morning I worked on a Sun Ultra 2 server running Solaris 10. The OS install was in 1998, and the last time it was patched was >10 years ago. It hasn't been rebooted in 4.5 years, and had 2GB hard drives and 128MB of RAM.

A director told me it was mission critical and we had to do whatever is needed to fix it.

View Quote
If you think that's bad, one of my customers has two display systems that are backed up on seven 5.25" FLOPPY DISCS!  And they look surprised when I tell them one day it's going to die and it's not coming back.  And OP, don't be miserable at your job, look for something better and it will come your way.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working on server 2012

A+/Net+ are bottom of the barrel but there's nothing wrong with Sec+. With some documented experience it should be plenty to get a foot in somewhere with room to grow.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
actually yes

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

working on server 2012

actually yes

LOL, I feel your pain.  I was working for a state agency, left after 10 years and became a contractor, then got contracted back to a different state agency.  Either no one cares or the people running the place have no clue and just trust whatever their buddy tells them.  I lost my state retirement plan but they are coming under attack constantly and I got tired of having my future tied directly to the state politics.

In my experience some state agencies pay poorly but there will be some that will pay decently.  Some are quasi-state agencies, if those are allowed in your state.  Definitely ask around.  Are state employee salaries posted online in your state like they are here?  If so look them up, filter them by job title, and see which agencies pay more.  The agency I left pays double what the agency I'm currently working for pays.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

what in the holy hell..

You know what must be done...

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i56/5/9/18/frabz-there-can-be-only-one-4dec11.jpg

That wouldn't matter with the state job.  They would promote him to the guys position and he would be lucky to get a 5% raise.  Then he would have all responsibilities put on him and his pay grade would be capped which means his only way to make more money is through an annual pay raise which if it is like my state that is 0% to 3% on a good year.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that's funny.

I had a server like that but Finance wouldn't upgrade it. Shortly after I left, it crashed and the new guy had to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Change jobs.  Seriously, that's all I have.  There are a lot of places hiring for skilled IT right now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#42]
$28k a year?  Even with CompTia certs you should be able to beat that.  A solution to your problem might be spending more time on your resume.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Did you try turning it off and back on again?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#44]
$32k for that bullshit?

Eject, bail, pop smoke, whatever you want to call it but just get the fuck out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So what's the question?
View Quote

The only question is why OP is even bothering to post, instead of looking for something else.

Story 1:

My first ever "computer" job, tech support.  After working there for a while, I realized that they were making completely unrealistic demands of me, paying me too little, and that the job and environment was a lot of stress.  Know what I did?  I quit, and found a better job.

Story 2:

Long ago, I got hired to help an eyeglass manufacturer modernize, taking care of the networking aspect of their CNC equipment.  I got it done well in advance of the time frame, took care of the other tasks quickly.  Then I took care of a bunch of bugs in other areas that had bothered them for years.  Not much to do at that point, so, they asked me to see why their expensive, custom-built, custom-written server system (tying it all into their sales, inventory, and other systems) was so slow.  I poked around, and found that the developers used ancient server hardware, but still, it should have been performing better.  I poked around more, and found that they were writing the entire management system in BASIC - and furthermore, in a variant of BASIC which only had an interpreter available for SCO UNIX.    Now, during those months, they had two full-time employees that were supposed to be doing the tagging/data entry to get their entire range of eyeglass frames into their database.   However, they had done absolutely *zero*.  So, the management asked ME to do the data entry, since I finished everything up so quickly.

Know what I did?  I found a better job.

Story 3:

The next job I had, the old guy who was retiring sat around and did everything by hand for 40 hours per week.  I automated it all, and had literally NOTHING to do, so I went around and asked other departments what they had for me.  When my supervisor found out that I was helping with other projects, she got pissy about it.  I asked her what she would rather I do in my free time, and she told me to get rid of the automation and sit there hitting "retry... retry.... retry" all day long, like the old retired guy did.  

Know what I did?  I found a better job.

Story 4:

After leaving the job in story 3, I took a job as a "Eh, can't be too bad" option, and figured if I didn't like it, I'd leave it in a year or so.  Pay was on the low end of the scale, but hey, it was just short-time anyway.  It ended up being an absolutely AMAZING place to work, with AMAZING people running the place, and working for them.  I worked my way up, make MUCH more than I started at, and I've been happily working here now for fifteen years.  

Moral to the stories:   Don't screw around where you're not happy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#46]
A good near term goal would be to get your CCNA cert.  A good two month grind and you can pass that test.

$40K entry level usually.  There are several Cisco guys here who can help out with questions.

I was blessed enough to have a family member who paid for my old MCSE NT 4.0 cert years ago.  So if you have to borrow a small amount of cash to get the CCNA books and optional lab equipment, do it.  It will be worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Finish the new project.  Then put on your resume that you rebuilt the entire IT infrastructure from the ground up on your own.  Float resume get new job and bail.  Let that shit hole burn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top