Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/15/2011 2:57:47 PM EST
What is everyone using to plan out their IT Roadmaps? I've used some Gnatt chart templates for Visio and Excel, but they seem lacking to me. Anyone else have some suggestions?

-d
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:19:44 PM EST
IT roadmap?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:06:29 PM EST
Tried Microsoft Project?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:25:05 PM EST
I used Project as a test and so far wasn't impressed. While it does have a lot of features, I'm looking for something a little simpler that the rest of the users at my office can use as well.

-d
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:27:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 7:34:48 PM EST by dizza]
Originally Posted By paadams:
IT roadmap?

Yeah. Usually you see them as Gantt chart, with items or projects listed on the side, and then a chart showing the days or months those projects will span. I use them for each one of my clients to help plan when things will be done and for budgeting purposes.

Example:

Upgrade Exchange 2007 cluster to Exchange 2010 5/2/11 5/28/11 |<––––––––––––––––––––––––>|

Damn board screws up my formatting... it would look something like this...

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:14:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By dizza:
Originally Posted By paadams:
IT roadmap?

Yeah. Usually you see them as Gantt chart, with items or projects listed on the side, and then a chart showing the days or months those projects will span. I use them for each one of my clients to help plan when things will be done and for budgeting purposes.

Example:

Upgrade Exchange 2007 cluster to Exchange 2010 5/2/11 5/28/11 |<––––––––––––––––––––––––>|

Damn board screws up my formatting... it would look something like this...

http://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.net.au/demosites/series10/10_01/content/bcgbc4007a/03_develop_track_revise/05_bar_gantt_charts/images/page001_gantt_chart.jpg

OK, never heard it called that before. We just use MS Project.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:08:47 AM EST
We have been using vizio
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:40:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By dizza:
I used Project as a test and so far wasn't impressed. While it does have a lot of features, I'm looking for something a little simpler that the rest of the users at my office can use as well.

-d

The point is that there really isn't a 'simple' way to enable every Joe/Jane in the office to edit a project schedule, thus Project (and the higher-end versions used on massive projects) are designed to be used by a qualified Project Manager. The PM has edit control, and everyone else can only view the schedule.

Is that not suitable for your needs? You might find that you have to hunt a bit for a good Proj. Mgmt. package designed for use by the unskilled/untrained.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the lower-end stuff so I can't make any recommendations there.

Good Luck!

FluxPrism
Top Top