Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 1:24:41 PM EST
June 1, 2008

ISOF capture suspected Special Groups criminal in Baghdad
Multi-National Corps – Iraq

BAGHDAD – Iraqi Special Operations Forces captured a suspected Special Groups criminal in Baghdad May 31.

The ISOF conducted an operation to capture an individual suspected of multiple indirect-fire attacks on a Coalition force base in Abu Tshir, and of displacing Iraqi families from their homes. He also reportedly acts as a sniper for his group.

One additional suspect was detained.

“Iraqi Special Operations Forces are committed to preventing Special Groups criminals from terrorizing Iraqi citizens, and to reducing attacks against Coalition forces,” said Col. Bill Buckner, MNC-I spokesman.

Link

June 1, 2008

Four Special Groups members captured in Kadhamiyah

BAGHDAD – Coalition forces captured four suspected Special Groups members in an operation in the Kadhamiyah district of Baghdad Sunday.

Intelligence sources led Coalition forces to the presumed residence of an individual suspected of smuggling Iranian weapons and coordinating Special Groups training in Iran. The individual is also suspected of training others in sniper tactics and acting as a key conduit between Special Groups leaders in the western Baghdad area.

Coalition forces detained the targeted individual and three other persons without incident.

Link

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:31:46 PM EST
Is Special Groups a US military term for any organized insurgent or terror group operating in theatre, or is it members of the former Iraqi SOGs organized into 'special groups'?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:32:34 PM EST

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:38:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By WorstCaseScenario:
Is Special Groups a US military term for any organized insurgent or terror group operating in theatre, or is it members of the former Iraqi SOGs organized into 'special groups'?

Special Groups are Iraqis specifically recruited and trained by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards - Quds Force and Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:51:04 PM EST
Bidness is good.

Oh, and....

Crush Kill Destroy
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:53:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By GBME:

Special Groups are Iraqis specifically recruited and trained by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards - Quds Force and Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Thank you, GBME.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:26:46 PM EST

How good are those Quds force guys supposed to be anyway? Highly trained on par with Western special forces?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:29:21 PM EST
Oh hey, did you guys know I'm full of shit for pointing out that a great many of the terrorists in Iraq are from Iran and Syria and are using weapons Iran bought from Russia and Austria?

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:31:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

How good are those Quds force guys supposed to be anyway? Highly trained on par with Western special forces?

They're probably the best the terrorist world has to offer, they've been training bad guys all over the world for decades.

I wouldn't put them in the same league as any Western Special Operations Forces.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:38:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2008 2:39:47 PM EST by 5subslr5]
From the thread title we have:

TERRORIST Sniper

In the body of the announcement:

captured a suspected Special Groups CRIMINAL

5sub
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:39:36 PM EST

They're probably the best the terrorist world has to offer, they've been training bad guys all over the world for decades.

I wouldn't put them in the same league as any Western Special Operations Forces.

No they aren't in the same league. I was just wondering if they are tactically skillful or is it just a of glorified infantry unit in Iran? Like the Iraqi Revolutionary guard wasn't very good, but they claimed to be "elite"
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:09:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:
Oh hey, did you guys know I'm full of shit for pointing out that a great many of the terrorists in Iraq are from Iran and Syria and are using weapons Iran bought from Russia and Austria?

I knew you were full of it too, but not for the reasons stated above....

I kid
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:49:58 PM EST

No they aren't in the same league. I was just wondering if they are tactically skillful or is it just a of glorified infantry unit in Iran? Like the Iraqi Revolutionary guard wasn't very good, but they claimed to be "elite"

In a stand up fight they would without a doubt lose, but they are definitely skillful, well-armed and highly motivated.

Their main threat would be the unconventional hit and run tactics from the insurgency they would undoubtedly wage (that would likely take at least a few years to defeat entirely.)

I doubt they would have the international support that the Iraqi insurgents had, and there won't be tens of thousands of foreign Sunni fighters coming to their aid.

But we have gained quite a bit of experience about what to do and what not to do when dealing with insurgencies.

Top Top