Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 8:02:23 AM EDT
What do you think of the Religion of Peace?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It's very nice and religious and has lots of peace. Thanks for asking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure this has been said here before, but Islam IS a religion of peace.  However, their view of peace is the world is at peace once everyone is a Muslim.  Until then, there will be no peace with "infidels".  I for one will never convert to Islam.  A religion that promotes killing srictly because someone does not believe what you do is not a valid religion.  It's not worthy of followership.

Lots of people try to make the WOT out as a Christain vs Muslim thing.  In a way it is.  We are predominately Christian and they are predominately Muslim.  They started it, not us.  If they want to make it out to be that way, so be it.  In the end, we all know who wins and it's not them.

Edited 'cause I can't spell worth a flip this morning.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Religion of PIECES ala homicide bombers
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It isn't a religion of peace.

It's a religion of whatever the local cleric wants it to be.  Or, more specificaly, it's a religion of whatever the Muslim wants to be.  If a Muslim wants violence, Islam is a religion of violence.  If a Muslim wants peace (I'm sure that there are a few), then it is a religion of peace.

Islam has no central authority.  It is defined by how the individual interprets it.  A cleric in Saudi Arabia can't tell Muslims in Iran or Turkey how to live, and vice versa.

Therefore, when someone calls it a "Religion of Peace", I call BS.  What authority do they have to make such a statement?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you know what the bars in the poll look like?  At the time I looked, it looked like they were flipping me off.  Now, what did I do to those bars to deserve that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Nearly 25 years ago, I knew a guy from Turkey. He was actually Assyrian, and a Christian at that. We once had a discussion about military service and I asked him if he ever served. He told me that he had not, but if his country were to go to war tomorrow against all Muslims, he would leave immediately to join in the fight.

At the time, it seemed to me to be an overreaction. Now I understand exactly what he meant, and why he felt that way.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a guy from Oman in my office right now looking at ROTC.  He's a US citizen and I'm pretty sure he's Muslim, but not positive.  He wants to be an Army officer.  When I told him the difference between officers and enlisted he got a smile on his face.  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but red flags are going off because he seems a little too eager.  There are other hints, too so this isn't the only one.  You know how you get a gut feeling....

This is wierd because I just talked to another guy that sounded Middle Eastern but he was from Nigeria.  Are they Muslim, Christian or what?  He wants to do ROTC as well.  

We have a fairly significant number of people of ME descent here at my campus but this is the first time I've had any want to join the program.  Not sure what to think of this.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#8]
It is the religion of death and hell and pain.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I don't want to get banned, so I'll just shut up....

Oh, and IBTL, because someone is bound to tell the truth....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#10]

If I posted in words what I think I would get locked…

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh look another thread about islam,

how many accounts will be locked this time?

we should wager on this, I need some extra cash.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This is wierd because I just talked to another guy that sounded Middle Eastern but he was from Nigeria.  Are they Muslim, Christian or what?  

Northern Nigeria is predominately Muslim and southern Nigeria is Christian.   The wackos in the north refused some kinda vaccine(maybe polio) a few months ago because they said it was a US attempt to poison muslims.  I report, you decide.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]

From page 53 of the 9/11 report--(my paraphrasing Osama bin Laden): "The war against the US will not end until the USA converts to Islam, either voluntarily, or by force."

So, it will not end 'til we kill em all. (the terrrorists and their sympatizers and supporters)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've got a guy from Oman in my office right now looking at ROTC.  He's a US citizen and I'm pretty sure he's Muslim, but not positive.  He wants to be an Army officer.  When I told him the difference between officers and enlisted he got a smile on his face.  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but red flags are going off because he seems a little too eager.  There are other hints, too so this isn't the only one.  You know how you get a gut feeling....

This is wierd because I just talked to another guy that sounded Middle Eastern but he was from Nigeria.  Are they Muslim, Christian or what?  He wants to do ROTC as well.  

We have a fairly significant number of people of ME descent here at my campus but this is the first time I've had any want to join the program.  Not sure what to think of this.

It would make sense. We would pay them to learn our tactics and to train them.  They gain useful intel about our weapons capabilities and weaknesses.  Then they hop a plane, head back to the middle east, and use everything we've just handed over to them against us.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not that familiar with islam but the problem with most religions is not what they profess in the purest sense but what human nature and corruption do to them.  Image if all Christians could be like Christ or all Buddists could be like the Budda.  They aren't and can't be.  Most people incorporate some mixture of both Heaven and Hell.  Good and evil reside in every man and it is only the proportions that vary.  I'd like to think that most of the Muslims we have trouble with are the result of a perversion of islam by evil men.  Shortly after the foundation of Islam the arabic peoples spread like wild fire across the arabian peninsula westward through the mediterranian world and eastward into India all the while proselytizing with the sword.  Was this Islam or man's corruption of it?  I don't know.  We need a scholar in comparitive religion to educate us all.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#16]
"Grandpa, what's a Muslim?"

"Well Jimmy, there used to be these people...."
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I voted for "religion of peace hijacked by terrorists", but I also beleive several things are true which could  have allowed me to vote for "religion of violence" or "cult":

1. the majority of muslims want peace, but their silence of anti-terror backlash is deafening
2. Im sure many muslims who would decry terror fear for their own lives if they do
3. muslims feel it is against islam to say anything bad about another muslim.
4. there has been no renaissance in Islam as there has been in Judaism and Christianity

I believe that if all of these are not addressed (from within the muslim world) their religion is doomed... doomed to extermination by non-Muslims and of muslims abandoning the faith.

But, lets not forget: all religions have committed atrocities in the name of their faith.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Seriously, if you have suspicions, do your conscience good and report him to the FBI.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#19]
ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE ONLY IF YOU AGREE WITH THEM, OTHERWISE YOU ARE AN INFIDEL (I RESENT BEING CALLED THAT) AND SHOULD BE KILLED IMEDIATELY. ACTUALLY I THINK IT'S NOT REALLY A RELIGON, BUT JUST AN EXCUSE TO ACT LIKE A BUNCH OF MINDLESS BARBARIANS FROM THE DARK AGES. WELL ENOUGH RANT , WOULD'NT WANT THE MOD'S TO GET THIER HACKELS UP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Islam is just like any other religion - it can be hijacked for political purposes. We do have a few Christian fundamentalist wackos who run around and blow up abortion clinics, and don't forget the crusades. Islam is just a tool terrorist assholes use to recruit followers.

If there was no Islam, there would still be terrorism.

If there was no terrorism, there would still be Islam.

They are NOT one in the same.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Misguided 3rd world religeon, some members of which recently (1950s/60s) turned to terrorisim in an attempt to achieve non-religeous goals....

Relatively harmless from inception to the formation of the PLO...

At present, it's being used as a motivator by our current enemies, however in the end all the religeous stuff is a straw-man, not just to keep the local population 'over there' from realizing how bad their leaders are, but to keep us focused on 'Islam' and not the secular roots of the problem...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
It's confirmed.  The guy in my office is Muslim.  He was born in Tulsa, but spent all of his life in Oman.  I may try to get a background check on him to see what, if anything, pops up.  He did say he speaks two languages, English and Arabic, and thinks he can do some good in the Army.  I will say this:  If this guy's legit, he can help.  I don't know that I'd want him to branch MI, but that's probably where he would do the most good.  Either that or IN.  I'll update if I find out anything untoward.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
To remain within the bounds of the COC I will not post what I really think about the topic at hand.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Islam is not a religion of peace. Islam was propagated by Muhammad so as to create a group of followers for him to rule over. He created his own religion and founded it on the heritage of Judaism to make it more believable. Islam, under all it's copious amounts of text and doctrine stolen from the Christian religion (because Islam was created around 590 AD), is about violence. It is about a leader, Muhammad, hoping to enlarge his territories through the indoctrination of a people.  Muhammad realized the devotion and following that the Christians held, so he lifted many ideas from the texts that are now contained into the modern day Bible. He hoped to create a highly motivated following that would lead his region's generation and the generations to come to a more powerful reign. He wanted to become powerful himself by having an army of followers with the numbers and motivation to commit such acts as suicide. The Qu'ran purposely motivates individuals to be martyr. There are many peaceful Muslims but that is just because they chose not be be violent. The Qu'ran, at its core, is a violent text.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Nous commentas.  But I did vote.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#26]
The translation of Islam as "peace" is a gross oversimplification.  My understanding that it is actually closer to "subjugation to the will of Allah."  Thus, all the difficulty for RoP followers to get along with Westerners, who tend to view peace as a state of non-violence where individuals live in relative freedom to do as they please.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'll tell you what I think

religion of peace

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top