Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2014 10:34:57 PM EDT
We know they have captured substantial numbers of 155 mm howitzers,” said the diplomat, whose country is participating in the U.S.-led anti-Islamic State coalition. The diplomat spoke only on the condition of anonymity, lacking permission to brief the news media. “These have a range of about (20 miles) and if they are able to hold territory in Abu Ghraib then the concern they can shell and ultimately close BIAP becomes a grave concern.
View Quote

Arty guys: Can they reach BIAP if it's within 20 miles?

If so, I hope we have another plan to evacuate the Green Zone...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/isis-takes-abu-ghraib-baghdad-airport-within-artillery-range/
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We know they have captured substantial numbers of 155 mm howitzers,” said the diplomat, whose country is participating in the U.S.-led anti-Islamic State coalition. The diplomat spoke only on the condition of anonymity, lacking permission to brief the news media. “These have a range of about (20 miles) and if they are able to hold territory in Abu Ghraib then the concern they can shell and ultimately close BIAP becomes a grave concern.
View Quote

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/isis-takes-abu-ghraib-baghdad-airport-within-artillery-range/
View Quote

Don't leave your wife.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
After the first round is fired they be dust
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't leave your wife.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't leave your wife.

I don't understand your post.  Can you rephrase so it makes sense to a hillbilly?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't understand your post.  Can you rephrase so it makes sense to a hillbilly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't leave your wife.

Don't freak out. History has away of impacting everyone and no one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
that sure is cryptic, bob
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Did we send 'em rocket assisted rounds along with the guns?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not an arty guy, but if they're using RAP, yes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
They would be doing that shithole BIAP a favor if they leveled it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Lol, I don't care
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
OP's username is one vowel away from lol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It takes a lot of training to use 155mm howitzers effectively.

Training I am sure ISIS does not have
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Just because they have the weapons does not mean that have the know how to operate them and accurately fire them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Question, they were within a few miles of Baghdad a week ago, what's the hold up on them taking it.  Everything I have read up to this point has shown the Iraqi Army is pretty much running away from every ISIS contact.....if they're so bad ass and can cover ground quickly, what's the hold up?  Figured they would have at least held a portion of the city at this point.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Allah will guide their arty shells into the hearts of the apostasy... or at least help them google the technical manual.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#15]
In other news, Obama got his handicap down another stroke!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In other news, Obama got his handicap down another stroke!
View Quote

What's he at? 33?  That pussy has to golf like he bowls.

TC
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Allah will guide their arty shells into the hearts of the apostasy... or at least help them google the technical manual.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder if the A-10s are on station to go deliver hurt to those artillery pieces and crews?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lot of former Republican Guard and Syrian Army in ISIS.  Don't discount that nasty little detail.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Send a few AC-130 gunships to the scene and see just how many shots those Howitzer's get off before they are toast.

Anyhow, the Iraqi army is useless and I say fuck the those Shiite cowards, let them do something or be overrun.

The only people worth a shit over there are the Kurds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't leave your wife.

Artillery rounds on the other hand have a way of impacting someone every now and then.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I have seen footage of them with captured M198's.

If Hadji has the savvy and FDC, as well as the right munitions, 18 Miles on the outside.
I just can't see us leaving any of the better stuff with the Iraqis, and know damn well the ISIS idjits can't keep an M198 up and bore sighted for long.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Lol, I don't care
View Quote
Same. If the Iraqis gave a shit. ISIS would be gone.

ETA get our folks out, let the knuckleheads kill each other.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If Hadji has the savvy and FDC, as well as the right munitions, 18 Miles on the outside.

I just can't see us leaving any of the better stuff with the Iraqis, and know damn well the ISIS idjits can't keep an M198 up and bore sighted for long.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We know they have captured substantial numbers of 155 mm howitzers,” said the diplomat, whose country is participating in the U.S.-led anti-Islamic State coalition. The diplomat spoke only on the condition of anonymity, lacking permission to brief the news media. "These have a range of about (20 miles) and if they are able to hold territory in Abu Ghraib then the concern they can shell and ultimately close BIAP becomes a grave concern.

Bore sighting doesn't matter all that much if they have a decent FO. Especially if their goal is to hit "somewhere in the green zone".

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TM wont help them much without survey for initial lay, an observor, and FDC to correct at that range.

They could monkey fuck it, and just fling steel and make corrections, and then recipricol lay 2-3 others if they were shit hot, but that ain't their MO.

4-5 half crippled 198's with leaky assed equilabrators, flinging steel in the general direction desired, until somebody cooks off the powder pit is more like it.

I really don't see them having access to Super charge 8 and RAP. Stupid fuckers would do all kinds of hillarious shit if they did.
If they do, I want and need video.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol, I don't care

This
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bore sighting doesn't matter all that much if they have a decent FO. Especially if their goal is to hit "somewhere in the green zone".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We know they have captured substantial numbers of 155 mm howitzers,” said the diplomat, whose country is participating in the U.S.-led anti-Islamic State coalition. The diplomat spoke only on the condition of anonymity, lacking permission to brief the news media. "These have a range of about (20 miles) and if they are able to hold territory in Abu Ghraib then the concern they can shell and ultimately close BIAP becomes a grave concern.

LOL!!

True to a point.
Get out past 10K or so, and initial lay is everything. Unless the stupid fuckers like digging trails over and over.
Using them like a long range Mortar would eat up a LOT of ammo....and I wouldn't want to be the F.O.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

some of those that defected over to ISIS likely do.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lol, I don't care
View Quote

If they take over Iraq you will
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
LOL!!

True to a point.

Get out past 10K or so, and initial lay is everything. Unless the stupid fuckers like digging trails over and over.

Using them like a long range Mortar would eat up a LOT of ammo....and I wouldn't want to be the F.O.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!!

True to a point.

Pretty sure there is a video out of them crewing an M777. They don't look squared away but they also are not just shoving in rounds and pulling the string.

ETA: Not the one I was looking for, but it gives you a general idea of their setup.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c16_1409063961

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Cant we unleash the Warthogs yet ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Question, they were within a few miles of Baghdad a week ago, what's the hold up on them taking it.  Everything I have read up to this point has shown the Iraqi Army is pretty much running away from every ISIS contact.....if they're so bad ass and can cover ground quickly, what's the hold up?  Figured they would have at least held a portion of the city at this point.
View Quote
maybe on the northern side they were.  now theyre closing on the west.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yet they still fucking exist.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#34]
This better not screw up my leave.  I plan on being home in time to watch the season opener of Walking Dead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lol, I don't care
View Quote

Nobody gives a shit what you think Obama.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#36]
So more air strikes?

More downsizing of the Army and Marines?

Alrighty then.

Forward!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been hearing that sentiment all along.  They aren't dust yet.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

They've been kicking asses and taking names so far.  And lopping heads off with impunity.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wonder if the A-10s are on station to go deliver hurt to those artillery pieces and crews?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask General Barack Obama.  You'll find him on the golf course.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pretty sure there is a video out of them crewing an M777. They don't look squared away but they also are not just shoving in rounds and pulling the string.

ETA: Not the one I was looking for, but it gives you a general idea of their setup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!!

True to a point.

Thanks man!!

OK, now that is some crude shit, and an insult to the traditions of all nations Gun bunnys, past and present.

That's like hip firing a world class benchrest rifle.

New definition.
"Minute of province"

Considering their objective is to just tear shit up and make noise, I reckon it's effective, but what a waste of potential..damn.

The fact that they transported the thing all the way to Aleppo unscathed is complete bullshit.
Nevermind the Iraqi fucks didn't ED the things before they fled like little girls.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#41]

US AirStrike Filmed By ISIS Fighter in Iraq

ISIS firing captured M198's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hrE9R_hYYA

ISIS Mortar fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba-NaWLVoWs

Iraqi Army Helicopters Attack ISIS convoy

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just because they have the weapons does not mean that have the know how to operate them and accurately fire them.
View Quote

I would imagine all they really need is someone in the city with a cell phone to direct their fire.

It's not like the airport can take evasive action or anything.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:40:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

SOooooooo, ISIS arty has the equivalent of Minute of City. O.K., still sucks if you live in that city.

Edit, so the ruling of the HIVE is Minute of Province.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

SOooooooo, ISIS arty has the equivalent of Minute of City. O.K., still sucks if you live in that city.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Much more difficult than mortars, HOWEVER, considering they don't give a shit about civilian casualties, its still a dangerous situation.

Edit: the big question is how many do they have, hiw much powder is there, can air support get them all?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They would be doing that shithole BIAP a favor if they leveled it.
View Quote

NOT THE LIQUOR STORE!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This better not screw up my leave.  I plan on being home in time to watch the season opener of Walking Dead.
View Quote

Looking like you might need to catch it on Amazon.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol, I don't care

What would be next I wonder?

They go ahead and take Syria or go for Iran ?

How much longer before Turkey steps in?
They seem to be leaning more and more toward a harder line Islamic nation but nothing even close to ISIS.
I've never been there, but they have a pretty westernized culture and their people are used to it so I would think they would
step up and start doing something about ISIS pretty soon.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did the US train anyone in Iraq to be capable of using those weapons?
One would think that we did since it would be pointless to leave them there unless someone knew how to use them.

What makes you think that no US trained Iraqis would be using those weapons on behalf of ISIS?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, I read over two decades ago that one of the Lebanese groups that were in the fight during their civil war were able to figure out how to use arty on their own, to include generating their own firing tables.

Iraq was able to use arty against us during the first Gulf War.  Before the ground war started, our own Marine artillery units were firing missions inside Kuwait at night and immediately displacing to avoid their sometimes accurate counter-battery fire (or so it was said on CNN).

The Iraqis had eight years of operational experience-such as it was-while fighting the Iranians.

The knowledge is out there, along with former Iraqi arty officers and gun bunny's from the Saddam era.  All they need is a little time to consolidate and train the uninitiated if they haven't already, and start using their artillery as they were intended (if they want to maximize its effectiveness).

Are they up to Ft. Sill TRADOC standards?  I can't believe for the life me they would be, even under ideal circumstances, but I wouldn't underestimate the motherfuckers either.

Artillery is fascinating to me.  I would be VERY eager to learn the MOS if the USMC would let a former GySgt do so.  There's no reason to believe there aren't ISIS / ISIL fighters among that rabble that feel the same way.  Arty brings a whole new dynamic to the battlefield, and you can bet your ass they know it too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top