Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2015 9:04:01 AM EDT
IRS Says You Have No Right to Email Privacy
By Julie Borowski
“The Fourth Amendment does not protect communications held in electronic storage, such as email messages stored on a server, because internet users do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such communications.”

That’s a direct quote from an internal IRS handbook obtained by the Americans Civil Liberties Union under the Freedom of Information Act.

Scary, right?

The truth is that government officials reading citizens’ private emails without a warrant is a clear violation of the 4th Amendment. However, believe it or not, the current privacy laws on the books do not protect your email privacy. IRS officials can legally read any of your emails that are over 180 days—and you probably won’t know they’re doing it.
View Quote

More at the link: http://www.freedomworks.org/content/irs-says-you-have-no-right-email-privacy
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck em.  I lost all my emails when the server went down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the ruling about police accessing smart phones applies here.  

And FPNI
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
By Julie Borowski
“The Fourth Amendment does not protect communications held in electronic storage, such as email messages stored on a server, because internet users do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such communications.”

That’s a direct quote from an internal IRS handbook obtained by the Americans Civil Liberties Union under the Freedom of Information Act.

Scary, right?

The truth is that government officials reading citizens’ private emails without a warrant is a clear violation of the 4th Amendment. However, believe it or not, the current privacy laws on the books do not protect your email privacy. IRS officials can legally read any of your emails that are over 180 days—and you probably won’t know they’re doing it.
View Quote

More at the link: http://www.freedomworks.org/content/irs-says-you-have-no-right-email-privacy
View Quote

So  the IRS can read your email because other people can hack into it to?

I don't expect email to be private, but I do expect goverment agencies to make up bullshit reasons/ways to make more people "criminals".

All of this is just one big circle jerk, the news reports it, we get pissed off and nobody gets punished. Politicians say they'll fix it, but it continues, welcome to the new normal.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuck the IRS. Fuck 'em! You've already taken everything else we have so fuck you!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
How the fuck does the IRS have access to emails that are NOT on their servers!!??
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Lost all mine in a boating accident.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How the fuck does the IRS have access to emails that are NOT on their servers!!??
View Quote

This..

And the only emails I get anymore are spam, so they can read them to their heart's content. Maybe that faithless bitch Adrianna from Facebook will pester them for awhile and leave me alone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Statists love their totalitarianism.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Who says they aren't on "Their" servers?

What's that big ass facility in Utah for?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
my hard drive had crashed, i guess they can't get them anymore
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Anybody can open up a envelope with a knife. That doesn't mean the government is free to do so.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, Fuck the IRS with a grenade.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They didn't.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
They apparently don't have access to their own e-mails is what Lerner said
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Good point.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#16]
this recent idea that the 4th Amend is mainly about privacy, instead of being secure in ones person, house, papers and effects, needs to go away...now
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anybody can open up a envelope with a knife. That doesn't mean the government is free to do so.

View Quote

Email isn't like an envelope, it's more like a post card.  Anyone who handles it can look at it plain as day. If you want an envelope, use encryption.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

in a boating accident
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck the IRS. Fuck 'em! You've already taken everything else we have so fuck you!
View Quote

It's not just the IRS.  

I just watched that Frontline special on Netflix called "United States of Secrets."  It's downright scary the justifications the statists being interviewed gave for breaking the law.  Oh, wait....they were given permission by the ki..president.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Email isn't like an envelope, it's more like a post card.  Anyone who handles it can look at it plain as day. If you want an envelope, use encryption.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps while its in transit. Once delivered, its a postcard, in a locked box, on private property. At which point I do have every expectation of privacy as I wouldn't bother securing that "lock box" with credentials only I know.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Hmm no secret here, Fuck the IRS.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a really good question.  I can think of 2 possible answers:

1) the IRS does have them on their servers, they have a division that reads people's emails
2) a different government agency (NSA, anyone?) shares your emails with the IRS .... we know the NSA has them, and we know the IRS shares information with other parts of the government (targeting conservatives and sharing info with the White House)

FreedomWorks has a letter in support of the Email Privacy Act that should protect us against this sort of thing.  But I think the best medicine is encryption.

How are you guys encrypting your emails?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#24]
That's some bullshit right there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure the new congress will get right on this with some appropriate legislation and clean up the mess that the tax code is..........
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Paging dmnoid!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Better question is why the IRS would want to read emails in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#29]
so they cant charge you for hacking their emails and reading them correct?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess it is like John Wayne said above that it is a criminal investigation but the article doesn't say much as to details.

Fuck, I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Perhaps while its in transit. Once delivered, its a postcard, in a locked box, on private property. At which point I do have every expectation of privacy as I wouldn't bother securing that "lock box" with credentials only I know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additionally, I'm fairly certain the Founders would have frowned upon the Gov't copying every single post card that passed through the postal system. I wasn't aware there was a "postcard" exemption to the 4th too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#32]
So the IRS can't find their old emails, but want to read ours?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Clearly from a right-wing bigoted zealot website. I'll only believe it if MSNBC reports it.

/liberal
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#34]
But....no one cares.  So carry on Fed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#35]
So the IRS had expanded into Constitutional law now?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Dammit man, where's  Lee Greenwood when you need him.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I am thinking it is out of context and was actually talking about their own employees emails at work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#38]
So, they FOUND all of Lois Lerner's emails, right?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#39]

The truth is that government officials reading citizens’ private emails without a warrant is a clear violation of the 4th Amendment.
View Quote

Perhaps it's clear in the opinion of the person writing that, but I don't believe it's clear at all in a legal sense.  Seems like the public has one understanding and the government another, and it seems like something that's just begging for a big hairy zillion dollar supreme court case.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't expect email to be private, but I do expect goverment agencies to make up bullshit reasons/ways to make more people "criminals".

All of this is just one big circle jerk, the news reports it, we get pissed off and nobody gets punished. Politicians say they'll fix it, but it continues, welcome to the new normal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By Julie Borowski

Scary, right?

Nothing to do with hacking.  Google can read your emails, so you already don't expect them to be truly private, goes the logic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted: Maybe that faithless bitch Adrianna from Facebook will pester them for awhile and leave me alone.
View Quote

You too?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Then all the IRS criminals involved in the scandals have the same right to no privacy. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Lois Lerner...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Perhaps it's clear in the opinion of the person writing that, but I don't believe it's clear at all in a legal sense.  Seems like the public has one understanding and the government another, and it seems like something that's just begging for a big hairy zillion dollar supreme court case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The truth is that government officials reading citizens’ private emails without a warrant is a clear violation of the 4th Amendment.

Government agencies don't care what the Constitution says or really means.  All they care about is what they can get away with.  The Supreme Court wouldn't have a full schedule of government officials toeing and just stepping over the line if those agents really cared about the idea of the 4th amendment.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#45]
How about this idea:

Imagine a local software package that works with your webpage-based gmail/yahoomail/whatever that abstracts the en/de cryption process from the webpage such that only encrypted data is ever on the gmail/yahoo/whatever servers?

does such a thing already exist?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a one way street here bucko! You best do an about face right freakin' now and get with the program!

Now, pick up that can on your way out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How about this idea:

Imagine a local software package that works with your webpage-based gmail/yahoomail/whatever that abstracts the en/de cryption process from the webpage such that only encrypted data is ever on the gmail/yahoo/whatever servers?

does such a thing already exist?
View Quote

http://www.instructables.com/id/Encrypt-your-Gmail-Email/

ETA:  The tough part, perhaps tough at least, is getting your friends to use PGP too.  And you need to use it for more than just important stuff.  If it's just the important stuff then the fact that it was encrypted becomes interesting in and of itself.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Yet they don't even have access to their own emails.  I'm looking at you Lois Lerner
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yet they don't even have access to their own emails.  I'm looking at you Lois Lerner
View Quote

And she is probably looking right back at you via the built in webcam on your computer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top