Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:10:00 AM EDT
I love how the Feds push this crap on our Schools and Kids. I guess 1984 was a little off try 2006

And people wonder why more and more folks each year pull their kids out of public schools.

Iris Scanning For New Jersey Grade School By Laurie SullivanTechWeb.com
Mon Jan 23, 6:34 PM ET

When a parent arrives to pick up their child at one of three grade schools in the Freehold Borough School District, they'll need to look into a camera that will take a digital image of their iris. That photo will establish positive identification to gain entrance into the school.

Funding for the project, more than $369,000, was made possibly by a school safety grant through the National Institute of Justice, a research branch of the U.S. Department of Justice. "The idea is to improve school safety for the children," said Phil Meara, superintendent, Freehold Borough School District, on Monday. "We had a swipe-card system that operated the doors, but the technology was obsolete."

Installation of the iris technology began in October. The system is now operational after two months of testing. The Teacher-Parent Authorization Security System (T-PASS), a software application developed by Eyemetric Identity Systems, was installed on the front office computers at each of the three schools.

It took software engineers about nine months to develop the platform. Two technicians were hired by the school board to provide IT support for maintenance and updates to the platform. School participation in the 18-month study is voluntary.

Parents who have children that attend any of the three schools in the district, teachers who instruct students attending classes at the locations, and staff employees are assigned access rights. Each child can have up to four adults approved in the system.

The platform provides entry-access controls, visitor management and the capability to scan a driver's license from 50 states and automatically import the information into the database. "The file size created when the camera takes a picture of the iris to match it against records in the database is about 512 kilobytes," said Raymond Bolling, co-founder of Eyemetric Identity Systems, a spin-off of New Jersey Business Systems Inc., which specialized in biometrics identification.

The system takes a digital photograph of the iris, the color portion of the eye, each time a parent, teach or administrative and school employee gains access to the school. "The algorithm can map out up to 242 unique points in the iris," Bolling said. "A good fingerprint patch is anywhere from seven to 22 points."

The algorithms for iris scanning are licensed through a LG Electronics from Iridian Technologies Inc. The software keeps a log and digital record or any visitor entering the school, which replaces a four-column paper spreadsheet.

Global biometric revenues are projected to grow from $2.1 billion in 2006 to $5.7 billion in 2010, which includes iris scanning, according International Biometric Group. Iris scanning is emerging, albeit slowly. The research firm said iris recognition revenues are estimated to exceed $250 million by 2008.

Eyemetric developed and deployed the iris recognition system using IrisAccess iris recognition cameras and software from LG Electronics, and Tailgate Detection Alarm Recording (T-DAR) anti-tailgating system from Newton Security. The hardware supporting the application is Hewlett-Packard & Co.'s ProLiant DL140 servers, along with HP dx5150 desktop PCs with Advanced Micro Device (AMD) processor, and Access Point for wireless networking from ProCurve Networking.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]

There are very few doors a 16 lb sledge can't open.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
good point
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to Nazi State NJ.

Papers Eyes please.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Homeschooling... the people's choice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure the sheeple of NJ are in line supporting this new security feature.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Do it for the children!!!

God Bless Big Brother!

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

Edit: When did people become so fucking dependant...?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait until people find out that the scanning crap damages your eyes.  I don't know that it does, but there are a whole lot of things that we find out 20 or 30 years later are really bad for you.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wait until people find out that the scanning crap damages your eyes.

Actually that's not a bad rumor to get started (whether it is true or not) - anything to slow this crap down - do the Brits do scanning already? Seems they love to nose around in all their subjects' business...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
They'd better start Parents Night a few weeks early.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]

"The idea is to improve school safety for the children...We had a swipe-card system that operated the doors, but the technology was obsolete."

Yeah, but did you have any safety problems with it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess it costs more money to keep the freaks who steal and harm kids locked up than it does to scan the irises of parents...

SweetmotherofGod!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

atomic +eleventybillion googles (a one with 100 zeros after it) x 10 ^ infinity
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#14]
It will last about two weeks before they toss the scanners in the trash.  We tried three different expensive brands of iris scanners for a customer, and all three were complete junk.  They worked about 20% of the time.  I noticed that for me, if I did the initial scan in the morning, the scanner would pick-up my iris about 20% of the time before lunch, but never read it after late afternoon.  The company that used them ended-up doing three separate scans, one in the morning, one at lunch, and one at the end of the day, in order to get their scanners to work about half of the time with three attempts.  I think they used the scanners for three days before unplugging them.  The things are so annoying and fail so often that no one will put up with it.  They won't last long in the schools.

We ended-up going with Biometrika optical fingerprint scanner with software from Neurotechnologija.  After three tries, it works about 80% of the time for office workers, but for some people, it never works.  The problem in many uses is that the people it doesn't work for are people that work with their hands, and in many companies that's nearly every employee.z
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#15]
This is one really f*cked up state where I live.
The crooks run the place. Have for a long time.
Every differernt community is its own municipality with its own mayor, town council, police and fire departments. What a waste of taxpayer money, but that's what makes the corrupt system run.
It's bullsh*t, just like the big bucks that Freehold spent for this Iris Recognition system.

And now we have a new Attorney General designate. What an a**wipe she is!
Wants more gun control and doesn't believe in minimum mandatory sentences.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=221431

And we're one of only 12 states without concealed carry rights.
Not even open carry. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
Unless, of course you're a bad guy. Then you can get or carry anything you want.

It's enough to make my blood pressure go up. (And it would if not for my beta blockers)

Enough of my rant.

yuck foo new jersey
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This is one really f*cked up state where I live.
The crooks run the place. Have for a long time.
Every differernt community is its own municipality with its own mayor, town council, police and fire departments. What a waste of taxpayer money, but that's what makes the corrupt system run.
It's bullsh*t, just like the big bucks that Freehold spent for this Iris Recognition system.

And now we have a new Attorney General designate. What an a**wipe she is!
Wants more gun control and doesn't believe in minimum mandatory sentences.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=221431

And we're one of only 12 states without concealed carry rights.
Not even open carry. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
Unless, of course you're a bad guy. Then you can get or carry anything you want.

It's enough to make my blood pressure go up. (And it would if not for my beta blockers)

Enough of my rant.

yuck foo new jersey

Free states are not too far away.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Just wait until it's illegal to homeschool your children.  Indoctrination complete!  To Room 101 with all those in non-compliance for re-education!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Knock-Knock!!  (Kid walks over and opens the door)  "Thank you young man!"  And the problem is solved.  I'd refuse to do this and then if they wouldn't let me in to get my kid I'd call the cops on their butts and report them for kidnapping.  (I wouldn't actually need to go that far, but the threat would do it.)
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm sure the sheeple of NJ are in line supporting this new security feature.

40+ years of Demoncrats in office  so of course we are.  Of course its all for the children.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Just one more step closer.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#21]
So what happens if something happens and the kid's uncle/grandfather/other relative has to come pick them up?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#22]
So If I wanted to gain access to a school, all I have to do is rip some poor slobs eyeball out?

Didn't Westley Snipes do that in "Demolition Man"?

<----- Eyeball protection on AYE AYE SIR!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
16 lb sledge and or bolt cutters (universal key).

All that lockpicking BS is only if you don't want someone to know you got in.

Some don't care.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to crap on this post but you do know that Scientific notation allows only a single digit 0-9, decimal,  then however many after the decimal in the left hand side IE: 1.274 X 10^7, and your powers of ten need need to be finite.  sorry, carry on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#25]

The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to crap on this post but you do know that Scientific notation allows only a single digit 0-9, decimal,  then however many after the decimal in the left hand side IE: 1.274 X 10^7, and your powers of ten need need to be finite.  sorry, carry on.

I know
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top