Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2004 8:26:20 AM EDT
Back in "89 going through Infantry school I remember an assembly depicting the history of the infantry.  Anyone know where I can find a link to the narrative or poem " I am the infantry, Follow me" ?

It was a great tribute to those in the combat arms branches.

Thanks,
out
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll do a search but have you tried google?

I think its on a plaque at the base of "Iron Mike."

edit- Were you at Sandhill in '89?

I was C/4/30.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I was at benning in 88. A co. 1st of the 38th. We were one of the last groups through.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I am the Infantry--Queen of Battle! For two centuries I have kept our Nation safe, Purchasing freedom with my blood. To tyrants, I am the day of reckoning; to the oppressed, the hope for the future. Where the fighting is thick, there am I…I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

I was there from the beginning, meeting the enemy face to face, will to will. My bleeding feet stained the snow at Valley Forge; my frozen hands pulled Washington across the Delaware. At Yorktown, the sunlight glinted from the sword and I, begrimed…Saw a Nation born. Hardship…And glory I have known. At New Orleans, I fought beyond the hostile hour, showed the fury of my long rifle…and came of age. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

Westward I pushed with wagon trains…moved an empire across the plains…extended freedom's borders and tamed the wild frontier. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

I was with Scott at Vera Cruz…hunted the guerilla in the mountain passes…and scaled the high plateau. The fighting was done when I ended my march many miles from the old Alamo.
From Bull Run to Appomattox, I fought and bled. Both Blue and Gray were my colors then. Two masters I served and united them strong…proved that this nation could right a wrong…and long endure. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

I led the charge up San Juan Hill…scaled the walls of old Tientsin…and stalked the Moro in the steaming jungle still…always the vanguard, I am the Infantry!

At Chateau-Thierry, first over the top, then I stood like a rock on the Marne. It was I who cracked the Hindenburg Line…in the Argonne, I broke the Kaiser's spine…and didn't come back 'till it was "over, over there." I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

A generation older at Bataan, I briefly bowed, but then I vowed to return. Assaulted the African shore…learned my lesson the hard way in the desert sands…pressed my buttons into the beach at Anzio…and bounced into Rome with determination and resolve. I am the Infantry!

The English channel, stout beach defenses and the hedgerows could not hold me…I broke out at St. Lo, unbent the Bulge…vaulted the Rhine…and swarmed the Heartland. Hitler's dream and the Third Reich were dead.

In the Pacific, from island to island…hit the beaches and chopped through swamp and jungle…I set the Rising Sun. I am the Infantry!

In Korea, I gathered my strength around Pusan…swept across the frozen Han…outflanked the Reds at Inchon…and marched to the Yalu. FOLLOW ME!

In Vietnam, while others turned aside, I fought the longest fight, from the Central Highlands to the South China Sea I patrolled the jungle, the paddies and the sky in the bitter test that belongs to the Infantry. FOLLOW ME!

Around the world, I stand…ever forward. Over Lebanon's sands, my rifle steady aimed…and calm returned. At Berlin's gates, I scorned the Wall of Shame. I spanned the Caribbean in freedom's cause, answered humanity's call. I trod the streets of Santo Domingo to protect the innocent. In Grenada, I jumped at Salinas, and proclaimed freedom for all. My arms set a Panamanian dictator to flight and once more raised democracy's flag. In the Persian Gulf, I drew the line in the desert, called the tyrant's bluff and restored right and freedom in 100 hours. Duty called, I answered. I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

My bayonet…on the wings of power… keeps the peace worldwide. And despots, falsely garbed in freedom's mantle, falter…hide. My ally in the paddies and the forest…I teach, I aid, I lead. FOLLOW ME!

Where brave men fight…there fight I. In freedom's cause…I live, I die. From Concord Bridge to Heartbreak Ridge, from the Arctic to the Mekong, to the Caribbean…the Queen of Battle!
Always ready…then, now, and forever.

I am the Infantry! FOLLOW ME!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was at benning in 88. A co. 1st of the 38th. We were one of the last groups through.

I also was there in '88.  There were only a few left at Harmony Church.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#5]
For the lack of a better name of it. Look in the next to last page in your graduation book.

B/3/1 Inf

Sandhill 87
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey, remember those fire ants?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I was there Feb. to Jun. '89 Dco. 2/11inf

I don't remember the exact cycle.

One of the NCO's past away during a PT run (heart attack) I think that was the reason we had that assembly where they showed the history of the infantry.

out
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey, remember those fire ants?

That's where I learned I can have an anaphylactic reaction to them, yes I remember quite well.

And the Georgia State bird is the gnat.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Just re-reading that sends chills down my spine.  

Someone with a little poetic talent should add to as a tribute to those currently humping a ruck in IRAQ
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
A/1/50 Sandhill 88, checkin in.
Here's another good one.....

"The Ballad of Rodger Young,"

No, they've got no time for glory in the Infantry.
No, they've got no use for praises loudly sung,
But in every soldier's heart in all the Infantry
Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young.

Shines the name--Rodger Young!
     Fought and died for the men he marched among.
     To the everlasting glory of the Infantry
     Lives the story of Private Rodger Young.

Caught in ambush lay a company of riflemen--
Just grenades against machine guns in the gloom--
Caught in ambush till this one of twenty riflemen
Volunteered, volunteered to meet his doom.

Volunteered, Rodger Young!
     In the everlasting annals of the Infantry
     Glows the last deed of Private Rodger Young.

It was he who drew the fire of the enemy
That a company of men might live to fight;
And before the deadly fire of the enemy
Stood the man, stood the man we hail tonight.

On the island of New Georgia in the Solomons,
Stands a simple wooden cross alone to tell
That beneath the silent coral of the Solomons,
Sleeps a man, sleeps a man remembered well.

Sleeps a man, Rodger Young,
     In the everlasting spirit of the Infantry
     Breathes the spirit of Private Rodger Young.

No, they've got no time for glory in the Infantry,
No, they've got no use for praises loudly sung,
But in every soldier's heart in all the Infantry
Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young.

Shines the name--Rodger Young!
     To the everlasting glory of the Infantry
     Lives the story of Private Rodger Young.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I need to copy these when I get home

ETA: Harmony Church summer of 87
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Gents -
check your graduation books.. it is all printed in there.

A-1-1, Sand Hill  Aug 1984
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Harmony Church 1984

Shame on me, how could I forget those broken down old barracks
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Bravo / 3 /1 Sandhill  Nov/81 - Feb/82
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of Sand Hill men and only one from Harmony Church.

When I was at Sand Hill (9/1988 - C/4/30) the Barracks looked relatively new.  When were they built?

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A lot of Sand Hill men and only one from Harmony Church.

When I was at Sand Hill (9/1988 - C/4/30) the Barracks looked relatively new.  When were they built?

I was in Sandhill in 81 and it looked new then as well
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess because we infantrymen scrub the hell out of that place on a daily basis, it'll keep looking new.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#18]
1986, Sand Hill, E-6-1 here! I went back there a couple of times as a D.I. in the 95th Div. reserves. They put us up in the old barracks at Harmony Church and we had to go across post to give PT to the trainees in the morning. One thing about Sand Hill is that you can't bitch about the grub, it was pretty good compared to some other places I've been.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For the lack of a better name of it. Look in the next to last page in your graduation book.

B/3/1 Inf

Sandhill 87

Geez, I forgot that. I was A/3/1 in 1982!

I was a Reserve DI at B/8/2 in the Church, and D/5/2 at Fort Dix....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I arrived at Benning in Oct 91
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Fort Beginning

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
C/2/1 Harmony Church,  Sept-Dec 80

Holy crap! 24 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
C/2/1 Harmony Church,  Sept-Dec 80

Holy crap! 24 years ago.

Time friggin' flies, doesn't it?!

BTW - You're a FOG!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top