Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2001 3:53:57 AM EDT
I need some help guys. Please take a minute to inform me anything you know about Maryland. Gun laws. Hunting big game ? I know ducks are popular but is it a shotgun only state ? Anything else good or bad you think is important. The area concerned is the Eastern Shore . Accross the Chesapeake from Annapolis.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Maryland is a pretty neat place... well... except for the fact that all of their laws are written by flaming commies.

I used to live there and I liked it.  However they're a bit on the whacko Jersey/Calif gun control bandwagon.  Duck and goose hunting is great.  You can fish for just about anything.  And a bushel of steam crabs and a pitcher of beer is considered fine dining.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT LIVE IN MD!!

I lived there for 6 years and just movrd to VA this year, (ah.....FREEEDOM).

The gov't. there is one of the worst you will ever see. Trust me.

Come to Virginia!

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Got to the Maryland DNR site, it should have all the answers.

AFAS deer hunting, some areas (mainly way west) allow rifles, most of the state is shotgun.

We have a gun board that has to approve handguns for sale in MD.

We have a 7 day wait for regulated firearms, and a limit of 1 per month.  This is all pistols and some rifles.

Starting this month you will have to take a class to buy a regulated firearm.  The classes aren't available.

CCW is available, but not to us plebes.  You need political connections or have to transport lot's of cash.

You are limited to buying magazines of 20 rounds, though you can own any size (think travel out of state to buy).

Basically, the place is a liberal haven with WAY too much government and too much taxes to pay for crack central, Baltimore.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Do not move to Maryland.  Handguns and "assault rifles" are heavily regulated.  No private purchas eof either, and new laws have made it impossible to buy a new handgun.  When the laws fully go into effect in another year you will only be able to buy a "smart gun" something which does not even exist yet.

I am planning to take my large tax payments to another state soon.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Lived in MD 40years and it SUCKS now.  Don't come unless you want a dike to repesent you in congress.  Deer hunting in the state is great!!  Lots of deer and large bag limits
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
CHRIST ! I was thinking about moving to a Town called Easton. It has everything I need but the gun issue could make it a no option. everything I hear about Baltimore is bad, I will be sure to aviod the area entirely. I will have to see how far the town is from Delaware .thanks everyone
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Baltimore is bad?....Well, they got the Ravens! and they are winning. Plus the University of Maryland Terrapins are 5 and 0.  As for guns owners? it's a communist State!
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
RUN - DO NOT WALK  - AWAY from MD.  It is a liberal's dream where your hard earned cash is stripped from you to die in the hands of a crack whore in East Baltimore.

Also the gun laws are REALLY bad
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Another ex-MDer who moved to Virginia. The Eastern Shore and Western MD aren't really that bad, but the government and dumbass laws made by central MD'ers have screwed up the state. Easton is a pretty town (and they have the yearly decoy festival), but overall it's not worth it. You can hunt with a rifle in certain parts of the eastern shore, and all of MD west of I-81. The rest is shotgun only. The bow season is long. On the eastern shore, you can hunt Sitka ( small Asian blacktail) deer as well as whitetails. There is no bear hunting in MD-at all. One big problem when hunting waterfowl is MD's jackassed laws regarding possession of waterfront. In VA, I can hunt on a river or body of water, right up to the privately owned shore, so long as I don't step on the land. MD extends the property so that unless you are a waterfront property owner, member of a hunt club, or exceptionally wealthy, waterfowl hunting can be difficult. I won't even start on the stupid MD gun laws.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#11]
My turn!

Maryland has very pretty scenery, good boating and fishing, and good deer hunting (until the Gov gets his way).

Then there is Baltimore, where I work. Crack and heroin everywhere, mostly bad neighborhoods, and mediocre (at best) law enforcement. OK, the Inner Harbor is nice by day, and there are some cool bars in Fells Point, but make sure you're gone by night time.
As for the rest of the state, Marx would be proud. High taxes, excessive government meddling, over-developement, and (to be kind) restrictive gun laws. The police for the most part are a bunch of over anxious yahoos. Most people are not friendly, compared to most other parts of the country I've been to (Texas is best in that regard, IMHO). Amazingly, the place is Class III friendly. Go figure.  
Visualize California with high humidity and cold winters.

I moved to Pennsylvania 14 years ago and will never move back. The difference in all regards is astounding.

The area you asked about, Easton, is actually one of the better areas, other than it is flat as a board and you are still under Md Govt authority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top