Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2001 2:09:49 AM EDT
[URL]http://www.urban.org/crime/aw/AWFINAL1.htm[/URL]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
There's too much information and facts there. Just tell me that guns are bad and that I'll feel safer when they're gone.

Actually, thanks for posting the link. I've seen it before but forgot to bookmark it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
from the article:
"Nonetheless, proponents of assault weapons legislation argued that these weapons are too inaccurate to have much hunting or sporting value. Furthermore, they argued that various features of these weapons, such as folding stocks and shrouds surrounding their barrels, have no hunting or sporting value and serve to make these weapons more concealable and practical for criminal use (Cox Newspapers 1989).

Assault rifles inaccurate?  Why does the military use them, if all they can do is wildly spray bullets at innocent bystanders?  And what the hell does a shroud around the barrel have to do with concealability?  

more:

Moreover, these guns were perceived to be especially attractive to offenders involved in drug dealing and organized crime, as evidenced by the relatively high representation of these weapons among BATF gun trace requests for these crimes

Sure, I bet the mafia and drugrunners will be happy to comply with any law you pass.  After all drugrunning and organized crime is legal, right ?

F'n retarded.  They seriously should pull their heads out of their asses.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Cliff's notes version:
By focusing on media hype rather than the root causes of crime, this law has had little or no effect on public safety.  Do you think the government will listen to their own fact gathers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top