Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 12:35:13 PM EDT
First off, this is just for my amusement only.  I have already taken steps to let the correct authorities handle this...

Background:  Someone, somehow got a hold of my SSN, and has been using it to open lines of credit and purchase goods and services totaling ~$7k that I'm aware of.  I've been able to locate the address of whoever is making these purchases, and it happens to be within 10 miles of my home.  It's taken alot for me not to take matters into my own hands, but I have contacts with the local PD, so I feel it will be handled.  What I'm curious to know is if anyone here has been a victim of identity theft, and if you knew who and where these people are, what would you do?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I had mine stolen, got my credit report 2 years ago and it said I owned 5 houses, had 3 wives, and 16 credit cards.

just declare fraud, tell the credit companies(equafax, ect..), what is wrong on your report.  then start checking it every couple of months to make sure everything is kosher.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
what would you do?

For some reason that wood chipper scene from Fargo comes to mind.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It only ammounted to $600 for me which the bank put back in my account but they did next to nothing to find the culprit. I tracked down how it happened on my own but I didn't get a name. Haven't had a problem since.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
mjohn ~  I've reported it to all three agencies about a month ago.  And the thing that really pisses me off is that one of the lines of credit was opened last week!  Fraud protection doesn't seem to do much.  But you bet your ass I'll be disputing anything that is not kosher.

WOW... 5 houses and 3 wives, busy guy!

Wood chipper WOULD be nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top