Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2010 5:18:54 PM EDT

From the New York Times

Service Members Face New Threat: Identity Theft
By MATT RICHTEL
Published: December 6, 2010

The government warns Americans to closely guard their Social Security numbers. But it has done a poor job of protecting those same numbers for millions of people: the nation’s soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines.

In a laundry in Baghdad, bags are marked with the last four digits of a soldier’s Social Security number, an example of the casual and insecure use of an important identifier.

At bases and outposts at home and around the world, military personnel continue to use their Social Security numbers as personal identifiers in dozens of everyday settings, from filling out health forms to checking out basketballs at the gym. Thousands of soldiers in Iraq even stencil the last four digits onto their laundry bags.

All of this is putting members of the military at heightened risk for identity theft.

That is the conclusion of a scathing new report written by an Army intelligence officer turned West Point professor, Lt. Col. Gregory Conti. The report concludes that the military needs to rid itself of a practice that has been widespread since the 1960s.

“Service members and their families are burdened with a work environment that shows little regard for their personal information,” the report says, adding that the service members, “their units, military preparedness and combat effectiveness all will pay a price for decades to come.”

More...

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive had my ID stolen twice, guess where they got the info- fucking shitty DoD information protection.

Ive seen a whole Sq full of people get their IDs stolen with one lost deployment roster w/ ssns
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember hearing a rumor in 2002-2003 the military was considering going back to service numbers. Im guessing that was nothing more than a rumor. I really don't know how effective service numbers would be but I guess it would at least add an extra step in the ID theft process. I really hated the irony of everyone preaching security and then tossing SSNs around like they were candy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I remember hearing a rumor in 2002-2003 the military was considering going back to service numbers. Im guessing that was nothing more than a rumor. I really don't know how effective service numbers would be but I guess it would at least add an extra step in the ID theft process. I really hated the irony of everyone preaching security and then tossing SSNs around like they were candy.

That would be nice to avoid using the SSN all the time...
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
CG uses employee id numbers.  DOD will clue in eventually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top