Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2001 10:39:24 PM EDT
Both rifles went on sale today. I've been looking at the Rem 710 for a while. It comes with a Bushnell 3-9x40 in 30-06 for $329 reg $349.

The M1 Carbine is on sale for $449 reg $519. I know nothing of the quality of this rifle. How is the accuracy compared to the 710? I know it has a short barrel, but what kind of groups will it hold? It says it comes with a match grade barrel that will hold 2" - 2.5" groups. Any first hand experiences?

I have a Mini 14, which is fine for plinking but wont hold groups for sh*t. And half an AR-15. So, which would be more of a long range rifle? I'm thinking the 710 based on the fact it is modeled after the 700.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay away from IAI M1 carbines.  The only carbines to own are USGI, stay away from the commerical rifles.  Some are ok, but most are horriable.  I would rather have an ugly beat to hell, re-imported GI rifle.

The rifles you are comparing are apples and oranges.  Depends on what you wish to do with them.  If you are looking for "long range" I would definately go with the Remington.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Please, please don't get either! M1 carbines used to be great when their was a huge supply of WWII ammo, but a lot of that has dried up now. Plus, your looking at a round that is basically a .30 with .357 power. .223 is cheaper to shoot and fills the same basic centerfire plinker niche.
As for the 710, it has the roughest action I've ever felt. Trigger isn't that great either. Try and find a used 700 if you want a long range rifle. Doesn't even need to be a heavy barrel. A nice used BDL will definitely stay in that 2" range. I've had real fun with a friends left handed 700 in 22-250. We used to shoot rotten fruit with it out to 300yds.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If it means anything, a friend of mine had one of the IMI's and said that it's better suited for unclogging toilets.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Both rifles went on sale today. I've been looking at the Rem 710 for a while. It comes with a Bushnell 3-9x40 in 30-06 for $329 reg $349.

The M1 Carbine is on sale for $449 reg $519. I know nothing of the quality of this rifle. How is the accuracy compared to the 710? I know it has a short barrel, but what kind of groups will it hold? It says it comes with a match grade barrel that will hold 2" - 2.5" groups. Any first hand experiences?

I have a Mini 14, which is fine for plinking but wont hold groups for sh*t. And half an AR-15. So, which would be more of a long range rifle? I'm thinking the 710 based on the fact it is modeled after the 700.

Any ideas?
View Quote
                                     For a good quality rifle in that price range, check these......savage package guns....howa lightning......remington adl synthetic, or hardwood in that caliber....winchester black shadow.....also, savage builds a heavy bbl....10fp which is now made in 06 i believe, but 308 for sure.....these are your best investments for that amount.....heard only good on the 10fp savages!........[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Remington 710 is on of the few POS guns produced by the company.  It is being recalled, as I understand, due to problems with the bolt.  Get a model 700, or if money is an issue the various ones mentioned by B&G.  I have not shot one but Savage sure is bragged up by those that have.  It seems to be a gun that performs way beyond its price point.
View Quote
                          Beekeeper....just a note, i have four savage rifles in my collection (mostly by chance) and although the triggers do vary, as mentioned on this board, i simply CANNOT say anything negative about any of them....all very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.....B&G
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Gee, the two rifles are so similar, i can't decide.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Poodleshooter, I can get 30 Carbine ammo all day long from Georgia Arms for a very good price, just a little more than .223.  I do have an Inland M1 Carbine to go along with my Garands and ARs.  As was said, only go with GI carbines.  I had an aftermarket one for a while and it was okay but not nearly as good as the Inland.  As for the 710, I say get a Savage 10 FP in 30-06 as I did, since I have gobs of 30-06 for my Garands and the heavy barrel 10 FP is very, very accurate.  It all depends on your intended purpose.

Ice15, the carbine is not worth a crap for long distance shooting.  However, it is fun to shoot and would serve well as a home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By black&green:
Quoted:
The Remington 710 is on of the few POS guns produced by the company.  It is being recalled, as I understand, due to problems with the bolt.  Get a model 700, or if money is an issue the various ones mentioned by B&G.  I have not shot one but Savage sure is bragged up by those that have.  It seems to be a gun that performs way beyond its price point.
View Quote
                          Beekeeper....just a note, i have four savage rifles in my collection (mostly by chance) and although the triggers do vary, as mentioned on this board, i simply CANNOT say anything negative about any of them....all very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.....B&G
View Quote
I agree.  My Savage 110 may not be "pretty"(I think it has a business-like look to it) but it sure shoots nice.  [sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top