Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2017 9:59:24 AM EDT
Is a luminox worth it? Is a g shock just as good?

Which should I get? I haven't owned one in 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Victorinox Automatic....
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Garmin Fenix 3

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Luminox watches suck. I bought into the hype and got one. I dropped it, on carpet and one of the tritium vials fell out. They would not repair it because i bought it from Amazon.

I would get a G shock of the 2 you chose to pick from.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Want it to last and not break?

Then you want a g shock.

Get one that has solar and atomic timekeeping.

Mine is 15 years old and I wear it every day.
I had to replace the rechargeable battery a couple of years ago- but no big deal.  Got on YouTube and did it myself.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
casio Protrek

Atomic time
Solar power
Barometer
Altimeter
Compass
PRW3000-1A

I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
my luminox broke 3 times in 3 years and it's not one i wear everyday nor am i hard on it during my workouts.  i have a nike apple watch 2 now 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd pass on luminox. The one I  had lasted about two weeks. POS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#8]
G-Shock. I've had my G-Shock for 18 years and have only had to change the battery once. It cost me $80. I've dropped it, stepped on it, submerged it in water, had a clapper from a 6" Viking Dry valve pop open on it. It's been submerged in the nastiest sprinkler water you could imagine and it still keeps on ticking. My $300 Marc Echo watch had the battery die a year after I bought it and it's currently in it's box in the bottom of the gun safe collecting dust.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome I'm looking these up.

Seems like G shock and victornox are popular
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Victorianox makes some nice analog quartz movements that are pretty durable.
Traser has some sharp looking analog quartz watches with tritium, if that's your thing.

I wear a Seiko SXK007 every day. It's a great entry-level automatic. Just remember that mechanical watches will not stand up as well as quartz to heavy abuse (i..e, drops, sledge hammering, knocking about) — too many moving parts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want an automatic, analog check out Deep Blue Watches. I have a Master 1000 and its a helluva watch for the money

Deep Blue

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both. I find myself wearing my Luminox much more, the G-Shock is a good watch, but it lacks personality IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want an automatic, analog check out Deep Blue Watches. I have a Master 1000 and its a helluva watch for the money

Deep Blue

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288011/20170103-115536-204833.JPG
View Quote

Or get a Seiko with the same movement for 87% less.....
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#14]
What about Suunto's?

I'd like to know if they're worth a shit, a couple of their models look interesting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gshock Protrek
http://www.casio.com/resource/images/products/watches/large/PRW3000-1A_large.png
Atomic time
Solar power
Barometer
Altimeter
Compass
PRW3000-1A

I love mine.
View Quote
not a GShock...

I've been eyeballing the PRG280, but will more than likely get a GA1100KH because G
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

not a GShock...

I've been eyeballing the PRG280, but will more than likely get a GA1100KH because G
View Quote
Close enough. shutup
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about Suunto's?

I'd like to know if they're worth a shit, a couple of their models look interesting.
View Quote
Look around, you'll see lots of threads here and elsewhere full of guys excited to own a watch frequently seen on the wrists of Hardcore Cool Guys.  They're so happy with 'em, they're so awesome, and except for this,this,this,this, and this going wrong they've been FLAWLESS.

Then go looking for Casio triple sensor watch threads.  The bitching you see in them is, "I wish it would die so I wouldn't feel weird getting a new one, it's beat up and ugly as fuck."
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Close enough. shutup
View Quote
typical Chevy driver...

wait, fuck
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
And no Sapphire crystal...
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Look around, you'll see lots of threads here and elsewhere full of guys excited to own a watch frequently seen on the wrists of Hardcore Cool Guys.  They're so happy with 'em, they're so awesome, and except for this,this,this,this, and this going wrong they've been FLAWLESS.

Then go looking for Casio triple sensor watch threads.  The bitching you see in them is, "I wish it would die so I wouldn't feel weird getting a new one, it's beat up and ugly as fuck."
View Quote
that last line is where I'm at.  my daily wear G is so beat the fuck up that I want a new one so I don't look quite so haggard.  but I'm rough on a watch, and it would wind up looking the same in a year
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#21]
right here or the Casio protrek both are solid .
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is a luminox worth it? Is a g shock just as good?

Which should I get? I haven't owned one in 20 years.
View Quote

I have two Luminox - love them - and will be getting a third.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Love my G-Shock Rangeman. I've never looked at Luminox so I can't speak with any authority, but I've heard good things.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Traser and it has held up very well considering I'm pretty hard on watches. Zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
that last line is where I'm at.  my daily wear G is so beat the fuck up that I want a new one so I don't look quite so haggard.  but I'm rough on a watch, and it would wind up looking the same in a year
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of what I figured, I've worn the same beat up G Shock daily for the last 4 years without an issue, but i struggle with telling my wife what to get me for gifts and was thinking maybe a Suunto would be nice. I'll just look at another Casio lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a Luminox that I wore for probably 10 years straight and I loved being able to read it so well in the dark.   That being said I now wear a solar atomic Casio.  It just has too many great features and I love not have to worry about changing batteries.  Plus the atomic feature means the watch is always dead on accurate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Used to have a G-shock and loved it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
casio Protrek
http://www.casio.com/resource/images/products/watches/large/PRW3000-1A_large.png
Atomic time
Solar power
Barometer
Altimeter
Compass
PRW3000-1A

I love mine.
View Quote
Yup, this. I have a titanium Protrek. Cant say I see anything that I like more or find to be more complete regarding features. (besides those silly smart watches that need daily recharging. Thanks but no thanks)
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Luminox I have is junk. Tritium vial fell out of second hand. Hardly wear it. I would never buy another or recommend them.

Have a Rangeman now and it's ok. Wish the sensors worked somewhat reasonably close...
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been eyeing the Fenix 5.  But that price...
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Atomic Solar Casio Protrek

One of the best watches out there plus all the extra stuff it comes with (compass, barometer, altimeter).
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus you've got to use the 40% off code.

I got a NATO diver for $150ish a while back. It's basically a beefier Seiko 007 with a sapphire crystal and an extra $50 in your pocket.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Kind of what I figured, I've worn the same beat up G Shock daily for the last 4 years without an issue, but i struggle with telling my wife what to get me for gifts and was thinking maybe a Suunto would be nice. I'll just look at another Casio lol
View Quote
If you want a flashy nice triple sensor watch, check out the Tissot T-Touch series.  I wouldn't put them on par with Casio for durability but they're very nice watches.  The movement is beautiful to watch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a luminox I received as a gift. I love the watch.

The band is hot garbage and broke with very little use, it is/was the plastic/rubber band. The watch is nice though.

That said, I wear Citizen eco drives almost everyday.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Has served me well for many years under hard use.

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Luminox watches suck. I bought into the hype and got one. I dropped it, on carpet and one of the tritium vials fell out. They would not repair it because i bought it from Amazon.

View Quote
You know how I know you bought a fake?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Awesome I'm looking these up.

Seems like G shock and victornox are popular
View Quote
Man I've worn a luminox every day for 8 years. I wear it in hot, cold, rain, snow, they are tough watches. I've dove with mine, banged it against God knows how many things that are much harder than it, and it's flawless. Send it in every 2-3 years for a check up and it runs great.
Guys who say their shit broke probably bought fakes because they are cheap.
Luminox makes good watches, G-Shocks are great too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Had one of the original SEAL Luminoxes. I really liked the tritium but didn't like how the crystal scratched. Upgraded to a sapphire crystal Luminox and it was my daily watch for nearly seven years. Tritium has dimmed so it's kinda hard to see at night but still keeps great time.

I've been thinking about either a G-shock or a flieger-type watch just to get something different.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I got a NATO diver for $150ish a while back. It's basically a beefier Seiko 007 with a sapphire crystal and an extra $50 in your pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I did as well :)
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You know how I know you bought a fake?
View Quote
How?  It sure aint by the lamp falling off, that happens all the time to Luminox watches.  It's five bucks worth of quartz with thirty bucks worth of tritium lamps and seventy or more bucks worth of navy seal labels and associated hype.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Luminox is fragile and their warranty sucks.  Yeah, front fell off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is a luminox worth it?
View Quote

No. Fragile and warranty support sucks IME.

Get a Seiko 007 or Marathon TSAR
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I dropped my Luminox on the linoleum floor of my last house, from waist height. one of the hands broke off at the center pin. They would not repair it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How?  It sure aint by the lamp falling off, that happens all the time to Luminox watches.
View Quote
Actually it's because they cover their stuff better than that.
They want you to buy it from a reputable dealer, big freaking deal. People always want to buy a $500 watch for $250. Yeah well if you did that then you didn't buy a luminox. Just like if you bought a fake aimpoint, and it inevitably shit on you, aimpoint would fix it for you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
casio Protrek
Atomic time
Solar power
Barometer
Altimeter
Compass
PRW3000-1A

I love mine.
View Quote
12% of the Amazon ratings are 1 star for resetting to factory setting on its own.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
My sentiments exactly. They wouldn't fix mine either.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't need all of the whiz bang features on my watch. With that said I'd buy a Traser before a Luminox.

Traser blue  ,   Traser green
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I have three Luminox watches. Had 1 issue where down in Central America the watch wasnt sealed. Humidity changed fogged it bad. I sent it in, got it sorted. Daily wear and have given me zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I bought my Luminox Navy SEAL watch back in 2002, from an authorized dealer.  Tritium still glows nicely.  One piece of tritium fell out a few years ago but I had a jeweler reinstall uneventfully.  I will say that its actual timekeeping ability sucks.  It's off by about 1 second every week or two.

Got my first G-shock in 2004, it held up until last January or so, and I ripped the band (it was previously half ripped at one of the openings for the buckle piece).  Went to Walmart to find a replacement band, but their one size fits all "Casio-style" replacement band didn't fit it.  This one would be off by about 1 second after a month.

I held off and bought a newer G-shock last Feb or so.  Love this one.

Ok I'm going to re-time hack all three now, let's see how they are in a week lol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#50]
This is the watch you seek:

P 6600 Type 6 MIL-G Rubber

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top