Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2018 3:54:20 PM EDT
Hello,
I will be intentionally vague as I want to keep my agency and my project private. DM me if you need more info, I just don’t want specifics in the open. I am working on a proposal for work. My questions are as follows:

1) Does your state exempt federal LEOs from its ban? If so, what are the conditions that must be met by the officer/agent?

(The remaining questions are in regards to your state AWB in general, NOT as they may apply to LEOs)

2) Is the mere possession of an AR15 upper receiver, solely on its own without a lower receiver in the owner’s possession, a violation of the laws of your state?

3) If the possession of an upper is LEGAL, are there any features (e.g. flash hiders, FA BCGs, 14.5s pinned to 16, straight up short barrels, etc) which would make the upper illegal to possess, even if the owner does not possess a lower?

4) This is a tricky question so I will word it as best as I can: If an upper receiver has features that are banned under your state’s laws but the owner possesses a legal lower receiver at home, would it be sufficient legal remedy for the LEO to keep the upper receiver at work? I am thinking about potential constructive possession problems for states that don’t exempt feds. If this question is totally inapplicable to your state feel free to disregard. I do think it is applicable to CA at the least.

5) If the possession of an upper is LEGAL, are there any specific legal traps a person in possession of an upper should avoid in your state?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to get into the nitty gritty details as the more info I have the better. Off the top of my head, I am hunting for replies from CA, MA, VT, RI, NY, CO, HI, NJ, MD and CT. If I omitted your state and you feel these questions are applicable please let me know. Thanks and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:36:27 PM EDT
NYS doesn't distinguish between local state and Federal LEOs in its ban and LEO exemptions. LEO is LEO.
An upper is not a firearm, so you can have an upper with whatever features you like.
If you're a current LEO, why are you worrying about keeping the upper and lower separated at work and/ or home.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:04:40 PM EDT
My responses are relevant to CT
Originally Posted By Texsylvanian:
Hello,
I will be intentionally vague as I want to keep my agency and my project private. DM me if you need more info, I just don’t want specifics in the open. I am working on a proposal for work. My questions are as follows:

1) Does your state exempt federal LEOs from its ban? If so, what are the conditions that must be met by the officer/agent?
Yes, LEO's and active military are exempt, but LEO's must have a letter from their Chief if they want to purchase a banned weapon stating that they approve the purchase for duty use. After retirement, they have 90 days to register their "Assault weapon" and "High capacity magazines", but it is grandfathered in if they do.

(The remaining questions are in regards to your state AWB in general, NOT as they may apply to LEOs)

2) Is the mere possession of an AR15 upper receiver, solely on its own without a lower receiver in the owner’s possession, a violation of the laws of your state?
No

3) If the possession of an upper is LEGAL, are there any features (e.g. flash hiders, FA BCGs, 14.5s pinned to 16, straight up short barrels, etc) which would make the upper illegal to possess, even if the owner does not possess a lower?
No

4) This is a tricky question so I will word it as best as I can: If an upper receiver has features that are banned under your state’s laws but the owner possesses a legal lower receiver at home, would it be sufficient legal remedy for the LEO to keep the upper receiver at work? I am thinking about potential constructive possession problems for states that don’t exempt feds. If this question is totally inapplicable to your state feel free to disregard. I do think it is applicable to CA at the least.
As stated earlier, LEO's are exempt.

5) If the possession of an upper is LEGAL, are there any specific legal traps a person in possession of an upper should avoid in your state?
Not that I can think of.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to get into the nitty gritty details as the more info I have the better. Off the top of my head, I am hunting for replies from CA, MA, VT, RI, NY, CO, HI, NJ, MD and CT. If I omitted your state and you feel these questions are applicable please let me know. Thanks and stay safe.
View Quote
Top Top