Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2018 5:15:34 PM EDT
I finally got off my ass about a month ago when I had a blinding flash - what a honestly believe was a sign from God Himself, not joking at all - that the next phase of my life should be as a police officer. I have taken the initial tests from my local PD, the Highway Patrol and the Probation, Parole and Pardons Department. I’m still sitting on a few applications and will drop those of things don’t go well with the aforementioned departments.

My polygraph is scheduled for Monday with the city and I’m nervous about it, only because I’ve never taken one before, not because I have anything to hide.

Things I have going for me: Military vet, college degree (yea, criminal justice), okay credit history, nothing derogatory in my back ground, emotionally stable, massive shortages in each department I’ve applied to.

Things I have going against me: I’m 42 years old, not in the “good ol’ boys” club, not an Academy grad.

I’m probably missing some things but whatever. What else do I need to know before this gets really real?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2018 5:29:35 PM EDT by ColtRifle]
Polygraph sucks but no big deal. Don't stress it and just tell the truth.

If the departments are hurting for people, you have a good chance of getting hired.

Clean up your Facebook account if you have one.

Your age probably isn't an issue. It means you are likely more mature than many other applicants.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:44:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:50:18 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
No thanks. I’ve been in exactly one building that was fire in my life and that was more than enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2018 8:18:40 PM EDT by SoCalSurvivor]
Good luck! I just started the process for the 3rd time. First time through I failed one of the EVOC tests, second time I got hurt on the 4th day requiring surgery, and now I'm giving it one more go. Lie detector is stressful, but it's supposed to be. Be honest and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:28:25 PM EDT
SC I've been looking into for moving.

Do they have a non-residential, non-immersive academy track? At 42, honestly, you may need to consider that route if you can.

.... Unless you're great with PT in south carolina wx this time of year...
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:35:34 PM EDT
I took the poly today and it did not go well. I’m getting a second chance next week. I had to think long and hard about my past today and remembered a few things that are less than stellar points that I feel I need to disclose.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:05:08 PM EDT
I went the LE route almost a year ago. I was 39. Left the fire department. I enjoy it much more than fire. Around here, FD sucks. I hated my time in fire.

As far as your age, it will benefit you. My FTO's loved me, said I was one of the easiest trainees they've had. I attribute it to my age and background. I can talk to people and not afraid to get involved.

As far as the poly, think of anything. Then be sure to disclose it and tell the truth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 11:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2018 11:09:04 PM EDT by ColtRifle]
Originally Posted By nick_75:
I took the poly today and it did not go well. I’m getting a second chance next week. I had to think long and hard about my past today and remembered a few things that are less than stellar points that I feel I need to disclose.
View Quote
Don't over think it. Usual questions that people don't want to answer is stuff like drug use, stealing, banging prostitutes. I know most people have something in their past they are either not proud of or are ashamed of. It sucks to discuss those things with a stranger.

Remember, they aren't trying to figure out if you were a saint. They are trying to figure out if you'll be a problem in the future. Dumb shit you did as a kid....Most of that will be no big deal. Patronizing prostitutes last week while smoking meth....that is a big deal.

My department only cares about honesty. If you fuck up and own it.....Most likely you'll get some discipline and that's it (as long as the offense isn't too bad). Lie about it though.....you'll be gone so fast it'll make your head spin.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:32:01 AM EDT
The questions I failed hard on were the theft and drug use. I think the theft comes from my military career and how I would acquire things. Admittedly, I came by some things very lefthandedly. The drug use, while I’ve never smoked dope or snorted blow, I did get pretty liberal with painkillers, muscle relaxers and sleeping pills when I was in Afghanistan several years ago. I’m pretty sure that’s what has been eating at me for almost a decade.

I’ve reached out to some close friends to ask them if they remember me disclosing anything to them over the years.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:59:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2018 11:05:24 AM EDT by ColtRifle]
The questions I failed hard on were the theft and drug use. I think the theft comes from my military career and how I would acquire things. Admittedly, I came by some things very lefthandedly. The drug use, while I’ve never smoked dope or snorted blow, I did get pretty liberal with painkillers, muscle relaxers and sleeping pills when I was in Afghanistan several years ago. I’m pretty sure that’s what has been eating at me for almost a decade.

I’ve reached out to some close friends to ask them if they remember me disclosing anything to them over the years.
View Quote
If you don't remember something, it's not going to show a reaction on the poly. If you decide not to tell the examiner something that he/she asked you about, yes you are going to show a reaction.....it's called not being truthful.

Admit to your mistakes. Sleeping pills are not controlled, muscle relaxers are handed out by medical personnel, and are not controlled. The only issue is abuse of narcotics. Not sure how you were getting them in sufficient quantities in country to be abusing them because if you were injured badly enough to be in major pain, you would have been evac'd out. That right there is a red flag for me. Not a deal breaker but definitely something that would need to be explored some more. If I was giving the exam and got that from the person I was examining and he/she can't explain it, then I'd fail that person.

The institutional theft is explainable. Unless, you were stealing narcotics from the aid station. Theft of mission essential gear is understandable. Been there/done that. Theft of other troops' personal stuff for your own personal benefit, that's a problem. I'd be exploring that issue with you too.

For the record, I was a CVSA examiner at my last department and have given a number of pre employment exams. I have my own opinion of the value or lack of value to using it but it does have its place.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 10:45:43 PM EDT
Colt is giving you some solid advice.

Don't wash yourself out; integrity is a great thing, but you have to view it through the lens of the examiner and department - not how you particularly view a matter.

Do they not give you a space where you can articulate your positions on the questions they are asking? IN my case, I've told them, sure; I took batteries from work for a personal item. They said, that's really not what we are looking for today. Take anything off a suspect or arrestee? No. Take anything out of the evidence locker? nope. Ok, that's what we are asking when we ask.

I hope for the best for you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:17:27 AM EDT
Thanks. I sent Colt a PM yesterday thanking him for the advice.

I’m hoping and praying I have expunged everything from my past in the addendum that I wrote. I will be submitting that today in person so they examiner and recruiter can review it before I’m back in there next week for Round 2.

And that damn machine is absolutely nerve racking. I haven’t been this rattled in a really long time. It is in my head and I can’t shake it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:55:21 PM EDT

And that damn machine is absolutely nerve racking. I haven’t been this rattled in a really long time. It is in my head and I can’t shake it.
View Quote
It's an instrument. Machines do work. Instruments measure things.

Just answer honestly. They aren't looking to hire Mother Teresa. As a matter of fact, she would not have been a good cop. The biggest factor is that you own your mistakes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:40:14 PM EDT
Thanks! I stopped by the station today and gave them my letter. The recruiter looked at me and said “Really? This is what you are all worked up over? This is next to nothing.”

That made me feel better and I apologized profusely.

I confessed to the institutional theft like Colt said. We all did it and I own that. Additionally, one of my team mates told me in a phone conversation that the guys used to call me Dr. Feelgood because I shared my bags of pills with them when we were down range. I never knew that because that year was basically me being in a fog because I was doped up most of the time I was in country.

When I went down range on that trip, I really shouldn’t have. I was dealing with a lot of crap. I was a little over a year out of back surgery and was still using opiates frequently for pain. My Rx for them was damn near unlimited, so I shared. I fessed up to it and actually feel really good about it now.

Almost looking forward to next week...almost.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:35:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2018 1:37:07 AM EDT by Fidel_Cashflow]

Go ahead and make the right choice today. Somewhere there’s a recliner with your name on it and you’ll be wishing for it when you’re wrestling with some hobo that just shit his pants.

Polygraphs are BS right up there with dousing rods. Keep that in mind for round two.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:43:26 PM EDT
I went to confession this morning before church. My priest, who had also written a character letter reference for me and who is also a prior Naval Officer absolved me.

I’m still petrified of the machine, but I have a clear conscience and believe I am as ready as I can be for Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 1:51:52 PM EDT
I PASSED THE POLY THIS MORNING!!!

It was 3 solid hours of questioning and brutal. I’m glad that’s over with. Waiting for the recruiter to get a hold of me now to schedule the next step, which according to the hiring process on the website will be either the psyche exam, the physical exam or the hiring board interview. I’m not sure so until I hear back from them, im just going to relax and enjoy the poly not hanging over my head.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:49:44 PM EDT

It was 3 solid hours of questioning and brutal. I’m glad that’s over with. Waiting for the recruiter to get a hold of me now to schedule the next step, which according to the hiring process on the website will be either the psyche exam, the physical exam or the hiring board interview. I’m not sure so until I hear back from them, im just going to relax and enjoy the poly not hanging over my head.
View Quote
Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:27:34 PM EDT

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:30:01 PM EDT

It was 3 solid hours of questioning and brutal. I'm glad that's over with. Waiting for the recruiter to get a hold of me now to schedule the next step, which according to the hiring process on the website will be either the psyche exam, the physical exam or the hiring board interview. I'm not sure so until I hear back from them, im just going to relax and enjoy the poly not hanging over my head.
View Quote
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:39:58 PM EDT
As far as "institutional theft" and military service goes... if it ain't on a hand receipt it ain't stolen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:54:31 PM EDT
GOOD for you!

Hope the rest of your process goes well

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:30:47 AM EDT
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Hopefully I’ll hear from the recruiter before the weekend.

If we can’t get all the process knocked out before 17 SEP, it will get put on hold until after I get back from from Kansas and Indiana around 11 OCT.
Top Top