Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2002 2:42:07 PM EDT
Totalled my '89 Toyota truck the other week and was shopping around for a replacement when I ended up at their dealership to see some of their cars. The wife and I liked the 2002 Elantra GT. It has a lot of features for the "5 available at this price" of $12,999. Anybody have any experience with recent Hyundais? The have the really good sounding warranty, but I still am not too sure about them. Any stories and experiences would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:10:37 PM EDT
They are great if you want to put AMERICAN auto workers out of a job.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:16:08 PM EDT
JUNK THAT IS ALL ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:17:37 PM EDT
I know two people with them and they haven't had any major problems that I know about after about two years. They have a good warranty as well. The new Tiburons(sp?) seem pretty cool with the 6sp. and V6.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:20:43 PM EDT
I do not think they have raised the bar much since their less than 5k "NEW" car exploits a decade or so ago.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:22:37 PM EDT
We have a Elantra, as a commuting car, it is great. The price and warranty were the best and as for putting American workers out of business, Well how many Fords and GMs are made in Mexico or Canada.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2002 4:26:29 PM EDT by talbalos]
They're very popular in South Korea. The real question is, how many AR-15's with cases, accessories and ammo will fit in the trunk? Personally tho, I think Hyundai's are bad pot metal replicas of real cars. They remind me of Matchbox Cars.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 4:24:20 PM EDT
I know two people who own Hyundai's. One loves her car. She has had it for about two years and never had a problem. The other hates her car. She is back at the service center every week for something. Good thing for that warranty. The new Tiburons are kind of nice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 5:43:11 PM EDT
I'll say this for them — the fit and finish looks exceptionally good for the price. Great paint, and the body panels all line up nicely (which is more than you can say for some of the domestic models). It seems to me that Hyundai is currently at just about the same point that Toyota/Honda/Nissan were at in the late 70's — i.e., building a lot of small car for the money, if you can ignore all the "cheap foreign tin can" remarks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:00:07 PM EDT
I've never owned a Hyundai, and I've never been to Hell. Don't ever want to try out a Hyundai for the same reason I don't ever want to try out Hell!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 9:59:32 PM EDT
Friend who used to work at Alamo gave me a very good piece of advice. Never ever buy korean vehicles. After 30,000 miles, you might as well kiss it goodbye. Which could explain why the warranty is so darn good. Not to mention the problems they've had over there. Constant labor issues, inconsistent quality control (now that's rhetorical), etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:09:45 PM EDT
They are ablolute shit.... the only thing they would be good for is if you had to commute a million miles and didnt want to put miles on your real car.. But I wouldnt be caught dead driving a hyundai!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:31:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SMV: I know two people who own Hyundai's. One loves her car. She has had it for about two years and never had a problem. The other hates her car. She is back at the service center every week for something. Good thing for that warranty. The new Tiburons are kind of nice.
View Quote
...you'll notice both people talked about here are womenz.Hey, how about a saturn!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:58:00 AM EDT
if you own a Hesse firearm..........., by all means buy a Hyundai........!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:49:29 AM EDT
Some oppinions from mechanics that I know say that they have good engineering, solidly engineered components but mediocre to poor quality. It isn't that they are designed bad or but put together poorly. hence premature failures.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:30:49 AM EDT
I got a Santa Fe for the wife in April. She loves it. Great extras. 8k miles on it, so far no problems. Saw a news bit on NBC that said Korea is targeting the Japanese car market by making models similar to Hondas, toyota, etc with better pricing & warranty. I remember when Hondas were "shit" rust buckets, now their in the top 5 for owner satisfaction. I think Hundai's heading that way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:31:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AW4EVER: They are great if you want to put AMERICAN auto workers out of a job.
View Quote
Let's see. Overpaid, spoiled, union autoworkers who don't give a hoot about the quality of their work? Hmmm, tough call.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:16:32 AM EDT
I would say that they are right on par with American made cars. For 13k I would look elsewhere. VW,Nissan,Toyota all come to mind as better. Young people with some cash by VW and can't destroy them. The Jetta has many features. Just a few thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:05:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CactusJack: if you own a Hesse firearm..........., by all means buy a Hyundai........!!!!!!!!
View Quote
OUCH!....
Hyundai cars any good?
View Quote
Nope!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:10:43 PM EDT
I recall 5 mph crash tests where Hyundai's sustained in excess of $2500 worth of damage which was twice what the next nearest car in its class sustained. Unless there's been a product improvement program, this is still the case.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:16:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
Originally Posted By AW4EVER: They are great if you want to put AMERICAN auto workers out of a job.
View Quote
Let's see. Overpaid, spoiled, union autoworkers who don't give a hoot about the quality of their work? Hmmm, tough call.
View Quote
Beautifully put!! Do you want to get screwed out of $10,000 or $30,000?? You might also take a look at Kia. They don't look like much but I know a few people who own Kias. One guy is over 150,000 miles without any major repairs. The car looks like total garbage at this point but for a commuter car it has been a champ.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:25:08 PM EDT
you get what you pay for, my friend...
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:42:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mcnielsen: you get what you pay for, my friend...
View Quote
Do you honestly believe that? In a lot of cases, yes. But, do you really think that a Ford or Chevy (or whatever) in the shop once a month is better than a Hyundai in the shop once a month? Do you think you get over 100 grand more car in a Ferrari or Porsche? Other than the penis replacement factor?
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:58:30 PM EDT
Road Gnats!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:59:04 PM EDT
Actually, Hyundai's are probably the most intelligent buy out there today. When they first came out they sucked. Now, they have improved quality to the point where they are serious competition for Toyota buyers, their main target market. I know several people with late model Hyundais (1999-later) and they are all without any problems whatsoever at 60,000 + miles. Their warranty would bankrupt Hyundai if the cars weren't built well. A 10 year powertrain warranty? That's amazing and it is a vote of confidence from the Corporate Board, not on of inferiority. Hyundais are the best buy out there right now, by far. Also, as far as the "Buy American" parroting goes, every "American" car made has parts or assembly done oversea, including in japan, so wake up robots.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 1:33:08 PM EDT
Its amazing how many people make judgements on something they dont know shit about. How many of you have actually even sat in one? Blind loyalty to the UAW is one of the reason American cars have lower quality. Explain why my American Ford Exploder has had three transmissions. My buddy's has had two transmissions go out on his.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:26:19 PM EDT
Speaking both as a proffesional mechanic, and a Hyundai Elantra owner you can't go wrong with the Elantra. Just make sure you get a 2000 or later Elantra because prior to 2000 they had the smaller, kinda lame 1.6L motor as found in the Accent models. This motor is OK for the bottom line Accent but s very noisy and vibrates when winding up. In 2000 they went with a much better 2.0L motor with 140hp/133lb-ft torque. The cars are very well made today in comparison to the Hyundai of the 80's and early 90's. The warranty is a great piece of mind and one of the best in the industry. They had a service bulletin in 2000 caused by the MAF harness being routed the wrong way which could have resulted in pulling the harness at the connector and possibly stalling the motor. This was a 15 minute fix that I did myself, and it did not effect the entire 2000 production just a small number of cars built during a certain period. The 2001-02 do not have this problem. I like the car a lot and mechanically speaking I have a few post '99 that I service regularly and so far none of them had any problems other than scheduled maintenance, all routine stuff. People will always bash Hyundai, and it's not unwarranted based on thier past record, however, things have improved in nearly every aspect since the bad old days. BTW the GT is a hot car for the price. They didn't have it yet when I was looking at them in late '99 or I would have bought it over the wagon that I ended up with :( Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:06:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2002 6:07:35 PM EDT by slipjoint]
The wife and I rented a compact the other day while visiting my in-laws and we were actually quite pleased with the Hyundai Elantra Hertz gave us. It sipped gas, had good road manners, decent handling (we outran a Ford Focus in some twisty hilly bits - and she was driving!!) and was overall a good value for what it is. What we didn't like were the seats, which are certainly not meant for those of us who are size 'S' or 'M' at best. It would fit those of you who are 'L' or larger. The trunk was quite large, and could readily handle a few AR's in their assault cases, two duffle bags, three or four ammo cases, a sleeping bag and a tent with room to spare for a cooler. Would I buy one? Well, if $12,000 was my price cap, and I needed a warranty, I would say yes. A similarly equipped Ford Focus (which is smaller inside) costs more than $12,000 and after my experience with Ford Service with my F250 Diesel (THREE TRANNIES!!!), I'd go with the Hyundai. slipjoint
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:10:25 PM EDT
How about $12,300 for a FULLY loaded 2002 Elantra? I am talking about ABS, 4 wheel disc, A/C, CD, PW, PDL, Automatic, 15inch Michelins, and a host of other features, ALONG with a 100K powertrain warranty. The car now has over 12K miles on it without a single problem. Very decent get up and go too. Excellent commuter car for the wife. Think Honda, Toyota, et all could come anywhere close to the bang for the buck AND the warranty? NOT!! These are not the throw away cars that first hit US soil back in the 80's.
Top Top