Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 4:20:22 AM EDT
Has anyone seen this site?

Hydrogen Fuel Systems

It was prototyped and almost ready for sale, but the Consumer Product Safety Commission yanked some of the chemicals they used in their initial offering.  It seems like they have an alternative route, though.

Basically, it's a generator that saturates granules in a tank (for safety) with hydrogen using solar power OR electricity.  The vehicle conversion can be done to a regular gasoline engine and you can switch back and forth between hydrogen and gasoline (if you're on vacation and can't refill your hydrogen, for example).

You could set the generator's solar panels out in the sun, pump water to it and get 'free' fuel.

This looks pretty feasible, and I think it's exciting.  I wonder what the system is going to cost...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just a weapon of mass distraction that the polititicians use to hide the real issues from us.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's just a weapon of mass distraction that the polititicians use to hide the real issues from us.

"Thank you for all the offers, but we do not accept donations and we are self-funded. United Nuclear is privately owned and has no plans to go public and offer stock."

Sounds like a bunch of capitalists there... I like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Show me one that can pace a Shelby Cobra for the same price and I'll be on-board.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Show me one that can pace a Shelby Cobra for the same price and I'll be on-board.

So you would rather pay money to the enemy (middle east)?  At least it is a start in the right direction.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't require a Shelby Cobra to get back and forth to work everyday.

Besides, I'm sure you could retrofit a Cobra with it, use hydrogen for regular driving, then switch to full-power gasoline when you want.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I ain't even gonna touch this one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you would rather pay money to the enemy (middle east)?  At least it is a start in the right direction.

No, I'd rather drill Anwar and the gulf. Our #1 source of imported foreign oil is Canada.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:13:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I'd rather drill Anwar and the gulf. Our #1 source of imported foreign oil is Canada.

If you think drilling ANWR will provide cheap oil then you're grasp of distribution (not to mention employee costs to pay someone to work in the Arctic for half a year) needs honing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess I just don't see the downside to having a generator that uses FREE solar energy to make hydrogen out of FREE water.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I guess I just don't see the downside to having a generator that uses FREE solar energy to make hydrogen out of FREE water.

Because this is ARFcom, which ad hoc rejects anything remotely environment friendly.

Do you keep your heat low in the winter? Use less water during drought conditions? Occasionally walk or bike? Then you must be a fuggin commie.

Real men burn tires IN their house during the winter to keep it above 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Because this is ARFcom, which ad hoc rejects anything remotely environment friendly.

Do you keep your heat low in the winter? Use less water during drought conditions? Occasionally walk or bike? Then you must be a fuggin commie.

Real men burn tires IN their house during the winter to keep it above 90 degrees.

Now you're gettin it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you think drilling ANWR will provide cheap oil then you're grasp of distribution (not to mention employee costs to pay someone to work in the Arctic for half a year) needs honing.

Sadly we need to get off of oil all together.  However there isn't an overnight solution.  The Clintons had 8 years in office and didn't do a darn thing about dependence on foreign oil or oil for that matter.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#13]
It's not about the environment for me.

I'm just a cheap bastard.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANWR isn't just about cheap oil, it's about reducing our dependance on foreign oil.  The same can be said about drilling off our coasts and in the Gulf.  I would say the same about coal gassification - we have huge supplied of coal that can be turned into fuel.  Even if it costs more, it's worth it if it makes up more self sufficient and not dependant on foreign relations.

-K
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANWR isn't just about cheap oil, it's about reducing our dependance on foreign oil.  The same can be said about drilling off our coasts and in the Gulf.  I would say the same about coal gassification - we have huge supplied of coal that can be turned into fuel.  Even if it costs more, it's worth it if it makes up more self sufficient and not dependant on foreign relations.

-K

That is assuming we keep all the oil that we drill there.  That hasn't been the case to date.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm glad they're making progress with this WITHOUT government grants or intervention.

Proves that the free market will always find a way.  Of course, government has already stuck its dick in the soup by banning the chemicals they used in the first run of tanks...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#17]
jalopnik.com/cars/news/honda-hydrogen-fcx-coming-in-2008-259716.php

www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2006/11/72100

I have to say I like the Honda version better.  I cant find the article now but I read about how Honda had come up with a home system for it.  It would electrolyze water and make hydrogen for you at home so you could refuel there.  Very nice, but I am too lazy to look it up right now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Dear Jonas,

Your grasp of reality is only superseded by your ignorance of oil distribution costs.

People have been working in the arctic and distributing oil from there for more than 30 years.

WRIGHT! FRIES!

Quoted:
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoting from the article:
The BMW Hydrogen 7 holds approximately 8 kilograms of liquid hydrogen. The car consumes about 15 miles per kilogram for a total cruising range of 120 miles, BMW says. In gas mode, the car's 74-liter (19.5-gallon) gasoline tank offers a range of about 300 miles.

At $10.30 per kilogram, hydrogen fuel is no bargain, even in Europe, where gas prices are significantly higher than in the United States.
UnQuote

15 miles costs $10.30 while a regular BMW would get (say) 20 MPG at $3.00 (US prices) or 15 miles costs $2.33

Thus, hydrogen costs about 5X what gasoline costs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top