Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/21/2008 3:42:25 PM EDT
I have a fitness test tomorrow that I want to maximize my results on as much as possible. Should I be drinking a shitload of water for the rest of this evening before going to bed?

The test is at 9am tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:44:25 PM EDT
Start drinking beer now and don't stop until you go to bed.

In all seriousness, start drinking water now and keep it going til you get to sleep. Then more water in the morning, don't overdo it and kill yourself, though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:44:51 PM EDT
gatoraaade
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 3:45:33 PM EDT by roboman]

Originally Posted By silentsod:

In all seriousness, start drinking water now and keep it going til you get to sleep. Then more water in the morning, don't overdo it and kill yourself, though.

I forgot to mention that the test involves running, push-ups, and sit-ups. Obviously I don't want to take on a ton of water weight before doing any of this . Will drinking a bunch of water result in this? Or will it moreso flush out my system?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:48:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

I forgot to mention that the test involves running, push-ups, and sit-ups. Obviously I don't want to take on a ton of water weight before doing any of this . Will drinking a bunch of water result in this? Or will it moreso flush out my system?

My best USMC PFT ever was at 6am...I had driven from Tucson to Pendleton from 11pm to 5am the night before...got 45 minutes sleep and little water and no food. I did get laid the night before, in fact I SIIHP.

Don't sweat the small stuff man, you'll do fine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:49:05 PM EDT

Start drinking beer now and don't stop until you go to bed the test starts.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:52:25 PM EDT
What is the weather going to be like? Hydration is a good thing, especially in extreme heat. If you have prepared then you will do fine, if not, extra water will not make up the difference. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 3:53:24 PM EDT by roboman]

Originally Posted By SFENDER:
What is the weather going to be like? Hydration is a good thing, especially in extreme heat. If you have prepared then you will do fine, if not, extra water will not make up the difference. Good Luck.

Indoors, very very very dry gym. I have done everything I can to prepare, but figure an extra edge with proper hydration couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:54:16 PM EDT
lots of energy drinks and pills...you will be a superman!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:55:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
lots of energy drinks and pills...you will be a superman!

I'm sure a 12-pack of Red Bull would give me amazing boosts on push-ups and sit-ups. I imagine it would result in amazing amounts of vomiting on the run though
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:58:22 PM EDT

I have a fitness test tomorrow that I want to maximize my results on as much as possible. Should I be drinking a shitload of water for the rest of this evening before going to bed?

Your body won't know what to do with a sudden shitload of water. You should have been hydrating yourself for days beforehand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:58:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jnojr:

Your body won't know what to do with a sudden shitload of water. You should have been hydrating yourself for days beforehand.

I have been upping my water intake in the last few days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:01:55 PM EDT
baking soda.
Seriously. Drink some mixed in water.
Helps neutralize the latic acid build up and lets you do a bit more.
Heard about it almost 20 years ago.
search baking soda for exersise and look at what pops up.
www.thefinalsprint.com/2007/04/baking-soda-may-help-athletes-to-exercise-longer/
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:04:23 PM EDT
It's too late now. You should start to hydrate about 3 days before an important event. But yes, drink a shit load of water.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:13:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:14:09 PM EDT
Hydration is over-rated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:16:09 PM EDT
Water is a crutch... man up sally, do it dry!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:20:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NUcadet07:
Water is a crutch... man up sally, do it dry!

I already have one crutch planned out.....I'm eating a bowl of Wheaties for breakfast tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:00:31 PM EDT
in the morning drink water
breakfast:

egg whites, turkey bacon, and a bowl of oatmeal.

If I don't eat that or skip one item, I can tell and my workouts aren't as good.

Don't go hungry, you're body needs the fuel. Forget the pills, gatorade, and red bull crap. Gatorade after, maybe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:18:06 PM EDT
DO NOT eat breakfast before your PFT unless you get up and eat at 0400. hydrate tonight as you are doing, and call it good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:22:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:27:47 PM EDT
Hydrate as you need and as your thirst demands. Take fluids in the morning prior to your PT trials, but also eliminate as much as needed, don't neglect your kidneys.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 9:31:18 PM EDT by Shadowhawk]
What kind of "fitness" test?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:08:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SFENDER:

Indoors, very very very dry gym. I have done everything I can to prepare, but figure an extra edge with proper hydration couldn't hurt.

bring some gum or candy to suck on while you run. It helps me avoid cotton mouth when Im running in our gym.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 10:18:28 PM EDT by Half_Rack]

Originally Posted By 7point62:
DO NOT eat breakfast before your PFT unless you get up and eat at 0400. hydrate tonight as you are doing, and call it good.

You definently want to eat before hand. If you have time before the PFT, eat something medium to substantial. If you are waking up with little time before the test, then eat something light. a bowl of cereal is a good idea, however, go light on the milk as an overload will promote lactic acid.

When it comes to water continue to hydrate until you go to bed. In the morning continue to hydrate with water (redbull and all the shit is a terrible idea). You can, however, drink gatorade before the test but make sure you drinking a 3:1 or 4:1 of regular water to gatorade. The sodium and electrolyes will help especially if you skimp on the breakfast. but again drink a small amount because you dont want to overload on sugar.

Good luck on the test

ETA:

Originally Posted By Condition_1:
Hydrate as you need and as your thirst demands. Take fluids in the morning prior to your PT trials, but also eliminate as much as needed, don't neglect your kidneys.

IF your thirsty that means your dehydrated, dont let your self drop to that point. Drink a reasonable amount of water, don't flood yourself though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:16:53 PM EDT

+1

just eat 1/2 of a banana about 45 min. before your run (if you got one).

If you eat a big breakfast, you'll get cramps.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:21:53 PM EDT
The constant hydration is a good thing: you have to piss so bad that you'll run record times.

In regards to eating beforehand, you should how YOUR OWN body reacts to that. I personally can PT a alot better on an empty stomach as opposed to eating an hour or so beforehand. Other people are different.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:40:37 PM EDT
Stop Drinking the water! Dihydrogen-Monoxide is a dangerous corrsive!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:27:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By semperfiws6:

+1

just eat 1/2 of a banana about 45 min. before your run (if you got one).

If you eat a big breakfast, you'll get cramps.

Everybody told me that at OCS, but I just ate a shitload of fruit. Like an apple, a banana, and a bunch of canned peaches. The guys who didn't eat were crapping out halfway through it. But obviously each person reacts differently I guess.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:35:03 PM EDT
I used to take a hot steamy shit before each pft. I never ate breakfast before because it made me have to shit even more than the pre pft shit. I drank, the average amount of bud light before each run, and did pretty good each time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:40:47 PM EDT
I always ate a bowl of oatmeal and drank a bottle of water and I was ready to go
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:03:41 AM EDT
2 shots of everclear.

then you wont give a fuk if you make it or not, and will just focus on doing your best.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:14:00 AM EDT
Tip for push-ups/sit-ups:

About a minute to 30 seconds before you test in those events, start taking quick deep breaths.

If you start to get lightheaded, good, but back it off a little at that point so you don't pass out.

Basically it's controlled hyperventilation, and will get as much oxygen into your system as possible before you start kicking your own butt.

This gives you a 2 fold advantage: lactic acid build-up is due to lack of oxygen in your muscles, this will delay it.

Also, it will initially allow you to knock em out quickly without having to worry so much about your breathing, you'll be preloaded with O2 to run your muscles.

Hydration is important, but I was OCD with it a few times and it did more harm than good, just keep it reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:17:30 AM EDT
red bull and taco's 1 hour prior to test. This \will make you run faster so you can get done and take a crap and puke, works wonders.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:43:16 AM EDT
I passed with flying colors, and ate breakfast this morning.
Top Top