Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:30:40 AM EDT
Why are hybrids gas assist and not turbo diesel assist?

Or better yet, why not use a small diesel engine running a genny that powers an electrical motor for locomotion?

What am I missing?   Why use gas when diesel technology gets so much more out of a product that needs to be refined less?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess they figure that a hybrid owner is already going to spend most of their time looking for a place to recharge and they don't have any spare time left to look for a diesel pump.

Seriously, I don't know. Cost? Hard for quick start/shutdown with glowplugs?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Hybrid car owners are less likely to be armed.  

Sign on side of the car says:

Driver carries only 20 lbs. of granola
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hybrid car owners are less likely to be armed.  

Sign on side of the car says:

Driver carries only 20 lbs. of granola

Why a small diesel? Get a Chevy S-10, and conver the vehicle to include a 5.9 cummins, and top it off with an Allison transmission. Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Or better yet, why not use a small diesel engine running a genny that powers an electrical motor for locomotion?

What am I missing?   Why use gas when diesel technology gets so much more out of a product that needs to be refined less?

Because the current focus of Hybrid cars is REDUCED EMISSIONS not increasing gas mileage.  I would buy a diesel Prius or Civic in a heartbeat.

Diesel gets great mileage but the emissions are worse.  We are stuck with the focus on emissions from Toyota and Honda.  VW is your best bet for diesel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guess they figure that a hybrid owner is already going to spend most of their time looking for a place to recharge and they don't have any spare time left to look for a diesel pump.

Seriously, I don't know. Cost? Hard for quick start/shutdown with glowplugs?

No commercially produced Hybrid car needs to be recharged except from the running of the engine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the current focus of Hybrid cars is REDUCED EMISSIONS not increasing gas mileage.  I would buy a diesel Prius or Civic in a heartbeat.

Diesel gets great mileage but the emissions are worse.  We are stuck with the focus on emissions from Toyota and Honda.  VW is your best bet for diesel.

+1 Good point. Probably right on this one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Good point. Probably right on this one.

It's exactly right.  The Prius was designed for the Japanese market, where they are trying to address pollution concerns.  The fact that it gets good mileage is a happy side-effect and the main selling point in marketing it in the US.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Diesel gets great mileage but the emissions are worse.

... not true
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Diesel gets great mileage but the emissions are worse.

... not true

+1.  Even particulate emissions, which is the soot you see from a diesel, is technically less than a gas engine.  The diesel engine particulate emissions are physically larger which is why you can see them.

In any case, if you want a better class of car than a Prius with similar mileage, get a TDI Jetta.  Some people report getting 50MPG with them, and they are roomier than a Prius.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Google the following:  University of California, Davis engineering professor Andy Frank

He has been modifying GM, Ford, and Chrysler(sp?) cars to get over 60 mpg!  1010wins.com has an article today (Sunday, Aug 14) in the Science & Technology section about experimental hybrid cars getting 250 mpg by using a plug-in hybrid design.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top