Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 8:26:00 PM EDT
Who has the best pricing on Husqvarna saws?  I'm looking for a Husqvarna 575 XP.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
get a Stihl

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever, those Germanic peoples of whatever country know how to make them chainsaws.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Whatever, those Germanic peoples of whatever country know how to make them chainsaws.

Sweden.

ETA: Did a froogle search for that particular model and only found THIS for $759.95.

Might try to do a search for just "Husqvarna Saws"...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Speaking of Husqvarna , I have a rifle made by them.....

Are they any good, (don't think I've ever shot it ) ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you are getting ripped off by more of a difference than you want to pay, you might want to patronize your local sawshop--

If you want to go mail order, you might try

baileysonline.com

madsens1.com

baileys has the powerhead for about 670 and madsens for 700.  I like madsens enough that I'd pay the difference, but shipping may erode the mail order savings.  

There are probably outfits that offer free shipping though.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]
husqvarna is light very light :) i like em, look on ebay?

sure as hell beats back in the day when there was no vibration dampeners between the handle and the engine! wow these things are smooth :)

a 575xp with 24" blade for 669.00 on ebay.

thats including free shipping and 2 extra chains :)

Ive been looking at husqvarna alot lately :)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm actually looking for the neighbor.  He's in love with his Husqvarna and there are no local dealers that are reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
stihl...

though other then the crappy noname brand stores, they are all worlds above old ones, so many great safety features you gotta be a reall dumbass to cut yourself
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:56:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the Husky saws really made in Sweden?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Junk, they are owned by the Electolux corp. Yeah the vacuum cleaner people, same company that makes Frigidare. Husky rainbow markets, you can buy the same saw under a variety of differnt colors including Craftsman, Poulan, Johnsered. Don't know about their real big saws but the regular models are cheaper at Sears, just red instead of orange.

If you want a real saw, buy a Stihl MS440, made by a privately owned family company that invented the chainsaw and makes nothing but saws & two cycle products. Take the time to learn the internal & serviceability difference between the two mfrs.

FWIW, I've worked on them for many years. Lost countless dollars working on Husky crap. Now days, if it doesn't say Stihl, they carry it right back out the door.

Sorry about the impending shitstorm by loyal Husky owners.....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:00:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a Stihl Wood Boss that is over 15 years old - never had a moments problem out of it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Junk, they are owned by the Electolux corp. Yeah the vacuum cleaner people, same company that makes Frigidare. Husky rainbow markets, you can buy the same saw under a variety of differnt colors including Craftsman, Poulan, Johnsered. Don't know about their real big saws but the regular models are cheaper at Sears, just red instead of orange.

If you want a real saw, buy a Stihl MS440, made by a privately owned family company that invented the chainsaw and makes nothing but saws & two cycle products. Take the time to learn the internal & serviceability difference between the two mfrs.

FWIW, I've worked on them for many years. Lost countless dollars working on Husky crap. Now days, if it doesn't say Stihl, they carry it right back out the door.

Founded as a weapon factory in 1689, Husqvarna is one of the worlds oldest industrial companies. All these years of experience in precision engineering and manufacturing, combined with an innovative approach, has always put us at the forefront, whether we have manufactured guns, sewing machines, motorcycles or outdoor products. Today we are a world leader in forestry, park and garden products.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Well at least this is interesting info that may sway him to at least look at another saw.  He was running Jansered's until a few years ago and I know he got rid of those.  This is a man that goes through a saw every few years.  He runs them right outta life.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Welp, I've pretty much got the Swedish saw mafg's covered.  I own and run 2 Huskys, 1 Stihl, a Dolmar and  Jonsared.

My personal preference is Husky, although all four brands are top notch.  The Stihl is a fairly heavy saw.  Both the Dolmar and Jonsared are lighter, but don't quite seem to have the horsepower that the Stihl and Husky have.

The Husky has both the power and a little lighter weight.  If I had to choose only one saw, it would without doubt be a Husky.  They always start easily, minimal vibration, reasonably light weight, excellent horsepower.  Gas 'em up and go;  year after year after year......
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
i vote echo.

i've had 2 chainsaws for about 25 years, they're both echo.  

had a wood gathering business, bought 3 huskys, and my echo outran 'em all.  

all 3 are junk now, but the echo is still going.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Just tell your neighbor to stick with the Husqvarna. They are a lot lighter, guzzle less gas, and in my experience with them cut faster than stihls for some reason. So if you went pound for pound on the two saws the Husky would kick the stihls ass. I personally have a stihl becuase i couldn't fork over the big bucks for a husky. I vote go with the husky they are a better saw.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Founded as a weapon factory in 1689, Husqvarna is one of the worlds oldest industrial companies. All these years of experience in precision engineering and manufacturing, combined with an innovative approach, has always put us at the forefront, whether we have manufactured guns, sewing machines, motorcycles or outdoor products. Today we are a world leader in forestry, park and garden products.

www.electrolux.com/node174.aspx

Elektro Helios, Eureka, Frigidaire, Faure, Gibson, Husqvarna, Kelvinator, Marijnen, Progress, Rosenlew, Simpson, Tornado, Tricity Bendix, Volta - Sweden, Volta - Switzerland, Volta - Finland, Voss-Electrolux, Westinghouse, Zanker, Zanussi, Zoppas

It's not your daddy's Husqvarna anymore. Poulan was built in Shreveport, LA at one time. Made excellent saws in their day, In fact, pros still run old Super 25 DA's and buy all the used ones they can find. Poulan ain't Poulan anymore either. Just the way business is. BTW, the majority of all Stihl products are made where????

Virgina Beach, USA!

Where they are the largest employeer and growing, adding another addition to the plant as we speak and moving more operations here to the USA. Nearly 850,000 sq.ft under roof by 2007.  Where are the other manufacturers going???? Mexico, China.

Low volume products, mainly the bigger pro saws still come from Germany.  Oh, and all they ever invented and made are saws & power equipment.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Echo.  Check out parts prices on Husky and Stihl, then go buy an Echo.

You guys that "have had one for years" haven't seen the change in equipment since the EPA got involved.  Many of my customers are getting rid of their Stihl and Husky (I'm a Husky dealer also) any buying Echo products.

Wanted to add: All of you that shop the internet, where are you going to get your product serviced?  If you don't buy from me, you fall in line with "all of the others".  It isn't uncommon for me to get backed up for better than a week during busy season.  I won't refuse service or warranty, but you will have to wait.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Electrolux owns POULAN which is a real POS saw.

I've just exchanged my POULAN for a HUSQA ( and paid the large dollar diffrence) but the HUSQUA IS A REAL SAW !!

5sub
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Elektro Helios, Eureka, Frigidaire, Faure, Gibson, Husqvarna, Kelvinator, Marijnen, Progress, Rosenlew, Simpson, Tornado, Tricity Bendix, Volta - Sweden, Volta - Switzerland, Volta - Finland, Voss-Electrolux, Westinghouse, Zanker, Zanussi, Zoppas

I never contested the fact that they were owned by Electrolux, and they have been since the 70's.

Husqvarna saws are not Poulon or Sears (although Poulon used to make Sears saws)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Electrolux owns POULAN which is a real POS saw.

I've just exchanged my POULAN for a HUSQA ( and paid the large dollar diffrence) but the HUSQUA IS A REAL SAW !!

5sub

FWIW, all Husky models that start with the number "1" are orange Poulans.  Any other number is a "real" Husky saw.  They are nice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know about their saws...  But when i was 14 I had an old Husqvarna 250X dirt bike that would rip your arms out of their sockets at WOT.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#23]
www.poulan.com/poulan_history.asp

"AYP is a leading manufacturer of lawn and garden tractors, tillers and lawn mowers. It operates three factories which produce a broad range of these products under the Sears Craftsman label, for sister marketers Poulan, Weed Eater, Husqvarna and for other major retailers. The McRae, Georgia, factory, which started operation in 1971, is the largest single plant manufacturer of lawn mowers in the world."

Notice the Electrolux Tag at the bottom of the page.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husqvarna

Husqvarna AB is a company, based in Huskvarna, Sweden, that is producing power lawn equipment and chainsaws under the brands Husqvarna, Jonsered and Partner. The company is owned by the conglomerate Electrolux.

I'd rather have a product that comes from a company whose sole focus is that product and the people the use them, and not some corporate bottom line.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Husky is junk.

Their quality sucks and their customer service sucks worse.

I say this having owned one of their so called high end weed cutters with the geared front end. It died 30 days after the warranty expired (the front gearing stripped out... 150.00 and NO discount from Husky). I also had one of their chainsaws that seized up at about 6 months of home use. I had to fight with Husky for more than a month to get it resolved. Finally did and sold it soon thereafter. Today I have a Stihl chainsaw and brushcutter, both many years old and never a problem.    
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Husqavarnas are junk compared to a Stihl. I know because the last 3 weeks i been cutting and hauling pines. The guy i was working for had 2 Husqvarnas. A 55 rancher and a 350. The 350 locked up on the 3rd day and the 55 ran like shit and the blade wouldnt stay tight. So I out of frustration called up the Boss and told him Im going to Ace and buying my own saw. his reply? hell get me  one too. LOL. We nearly doubled the amount of wood we were getting out. Stihl is so much better in so many ways than the husqvarna saws we were using. To tighten the chain on my saw you just turn a lever and spin a knob. No loosening a bunch of nuts and needing a screwdriver to tighten the little screw. Takes me maybe 6-8 seconds to tighten my chain. Which hardly ever gets loose. My saw despite being a little smaller is way more powerful also. I got the east start model. Which is a hell of alot better than jerking your arm out of socket with a stinking husqvarna. It uses maybe 1/2 as much fuel and bar oil as the other chainsaws. And the fuel and oil caps open with 1/4 turn. You get what you pay for when it comes to tools and guns. Tell your neighbor to spend a little extra and get the better saw. Be less work and less frustrating in the long run
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#26]
For you guys that are bickering between the two.  I don't know my saw,  my neighbor does.  But you got me thinking so I poked around and found this web site.

Link to Norwalk comparison chart

Now keep in mind he's looking at Husqvarna 575 XP.  For the most part Stihl & Husqvarna saws are fairly compareable.  Until you look at the warranty's.  Warranty speaks for itself.  They would'nt be giving you that warranty if they did'nt think the saw would'nt still be running after that period.  They have no intention of making the warranty long enough for you to use.  It only happens by accident sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Having owned both a Stihl Farm Boss and a Husqvarna 55 Rancher..Get the Husqvarna 55
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't know about their saws...  But when i was 14 I had an old Husqvarna 250X dirt bike that would rip your arms out of their sockets at WOT.

~Dg84

When I was in the danish army, I had a Husqvarna submachinegun for a while.  It was easy on the arms.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#29]
norwalk is the company that is selling the Husqvarna's on ebay for the price i said earlier.

but if you dont trust ebay, buy it from there website, but its no free shipping :) not even if you argue it with them :)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]
After suffering with a Crapsman 18" saw, I purchased a Stihl 290 about 2 years ago and haven't looked back yet.

Was out using it today.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I don't have experiance myself with the Husky saws I do have with Echo.
When the Tornado went thru a few months back. I pulled out my little Echo, 15 years old loving cared for 14 inch . Many of my neighbors had newer saws of various manufacture and sizes. No one had a saw big enough for the stuff that blocked our street. Cranes had to be called for that, but we did as much as we could. My little Echo with the older chain size. Ran better, cut better, and used less gass then even the new bigger stil's that Fema had handed out. When I got out I went to the local Echo dealer who sharpened the chains, and gave me price on the change over to the .025 set up. He ahd many saws in his shop, all looked new, and all had engine problems. The mix included, Homelite, Sears,Stihl, Husky, Poulan, and one brand new Echo.
Only the Echo would be fixed soon as it was a warrenty issue with the engine, the others were most likely carb/ fuel system related.
Parts on the non Echo's were a PITA. the Hushy mades he had to wait for parts from Sweden.
Echo next day Fed Ex Air, to a disater zone.
I cut what I could with this little saw over three weeks, about thirty trees that ended in my yard. A buddy that has a Stihl pro with a 24 inch blade was amazed at what this little saw could do.
He did the big stuff I took care of the little stuff (20 inch or less) When he  had to stop I was able to keep cutting. at the end of a couple of days he had burned two regular chains, and dulled a carbide chain. I drove him to the local guy to buy him new chains ( hey it was my property I owed him this) The local guy told him he had a good saw, he loaned us a Echo equal and said come back in two hours. We cut more wood in two hours with the Echo PRO then my buddy had in two days.
At hour three he took a trade on a damn nice Stihl for a new Echo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I do have 2 Stihl saws personally but I don't cut the way the neighbor does.  This is a man that heats his house and shop on wood.  I don't know why he's so keen on the wood.  He runs those saws to the point that I question the time he has into it vs. paying for natural gas to heat.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweden.

Husqvarna is Swedish, Stihl is German, and Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Holland, Austria, Luxembourg, Iceland, and much of Switzerland Belgium, and even America, Australia, England, Scotland, and Canada are Germanic people (the Anglo-Saxons in those last 5, and yes I know that not all or even the majority of the population of any of those 5 countries are Anglo-Saxon), for example. But for now we'll just take Germanic to mean Scandinavian and German. And they know how to make their saws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top