Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 5:04:37 PM EST
At what point should we say enough. The huge amounts of money put out by insurance companies and charities when these events happen is obscene. The Mississippi river has been levied to the point that it can't replenish the marshes and delta so you have erosion and flooding. People keep on building on flood plains and we; the customer pay for the damage everytime. There should be a one mile wide no mans land on each side of the river and the levees removed.

The California brush fires? Don't build in these areas or put a large dirt strip around any developement. Screw the Tufted Eared Fieldmouse. Simple enough.

Live in a hurricane prone area? Move or cover your own expense of rebuilding.

My mother lives on an island just off the coast of Louisiana and insurance had rebuilt her house at least four times. I get disgusted when I think about the waste.

Just because you want to live in "paradise" doesn't mean the rest of the country should foot the bill when it get's shitty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:08:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Pangea:
At what point should we say enough. The huge amounts of money put out by insurance companies and charities when these events happen is obscene. The Mississippi river has been levied to the point that it can't replenish the marshes and delta so you have erosion and flooding. People keep on building on flood plains and we; the customer pay for the damage everytime. There should be a one mile wide no mans land on each side of the river and the levees removed.

The California brush fires? Don't build in these areas or put a large dirt strip around any developement. Screw the Tufted Eared Fieldmouse. Simple enough.

My mother lives on an island just off the coast of Louisiana and insurance had rebuilt her house at least four times. I get disgusted when I think about the waste.

Just because you want to live in "paradise" doesn't mean the rest of the country should foot the bill when it get's shitty.

WTF, logic has no place in today's society.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:10:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:11:58 PM EST
Insurance is designed so that people in high risk areas pay more.

The charities are just being nice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:12:56 PM EST
Recreation on the Mississippi? Where? I was raised playing on the Mississippi below Baton Rouge and it was a rarity to even see another person once a week.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:16:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By brasspile:

Originally Posted By Pangea:

I will leave it to you to find a water conservation site to explain why the Oahe Dam is about 100 foot below normal (Largest dam on the missouri, holding back 250 miles of river). The dam is dumping excessive amounts of water to allow for recreation in the Missisippi.

I got pix from when I was there a few weeks back. I will upload later.

lake sakakwea (spelling?) is bone dry too

My cousin took some pictures of the town they flooded out when the dam was built. it's low enough that you can walk around what's left of the buildings.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:17:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By SS109:
Insurance is designed so that people in high risk areas pay more.

The charities are just being nice.

You're kidding right? A person paying an extra $300 each year for flood insurance is going to offset the cost of rebuilding a house?

$1000 per year, $2000 per year homeowners policy going to cover the expense of rebuilding a beach house 2,3,5 times in a lifetime?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:21:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:24:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/5/2004 5:28:35 PM EST by brasspile]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:31:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/5/2004 5:31:47 PM EST by Red_Beard]

First time Sakakawea has been that low in 50 years.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:33:54 PM EST
Why is this lake being drawn down brasspile?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:39:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By brasspile:
Here is the direct downstream. The rocks, as you notice are "fresh", they are covered with about 6 foot higher than normal levels for the next 80 miles of the missouri river from Pierre, SD.

www.mountaintop.org/ar/oahe-081504-downstream.jpg

WHY WOULD YOU DUMP THAT MUCH WATER OUT OF ONE OF THE TOP 5 DAMS IN AMERICA!?!???

Oahe is pretty much gone up in north dakota. The missouri is back in it's original channel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:40:23 PM EST
I understand the thought behind the original post.

Frankly, I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone in Hurricane Country, and it irks me that my homeowner's policy payment will provide funds for hurricane damage. I feel the same way about people who live on flood plains.

As a smoker who imbibes in alcohol on occassion while living in tornado alley, I suppose I should just shut up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:40:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:46:56 PM EST
you can always self-insure.
Colorado lets you go w/o car insurance if you keep enough money in escrow.
Plus there are also medical savings plans available if you want to go w/o medical insurance.

If you don't want to pay for people's beach house, don't jump into the (insurance) pool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:53:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:08:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:28:48 PM EST
[ecohippyfreaknazi] If there were no dams then this would not be a problem. Man would have to live as mother nature see's fit. [/ecohippyfreaknazi]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:40:03 PM EST
Top Top