Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 4:13:13 PM EDT
Just got off work.
I'm a Nursing Supervisor just north of Lake Ponchatrain.
Most ATM in the area are out of money, ALL gas will be gone tonight,(I filled up with the expensive stuff because all other stations were totally out at a group of 5 stations), the nearest pharmacy open is in Baton Rouge.
Hospitals in the area are shutting down if small, transporting patients to other facilities if possible.
Medical shelters are up but there's not enough.
Refer trucks are being brought in as temp morgues.
If New Orleans get water behind the levy, worst case, it will take the Corp of Engineers 6 months to get it out.
New Orleans is expected to be uninhabitable in places for more than 6 months anyway.
I'll be back tommorrow if I gotta get on the motorcycle.

UPDATE 0615: Weather finally woke us up, my deck roof is going to be history this AM sometime.
                         : on generator power.
                         :it is jungle hot already
                         :at first light I'll get to go out and check the out buildings and main roof.
                          :AT LEAST I AIN'T IN NEW ORLEANS!
                        : it's nice to see the weather reporters in a little wind. My quote from this am...the  guy said (as he stood in the wind/rain) "I don't see anything flying around. Visibility is zero." (Oooopps, look out for that 2x4!)

Bigfeet: Diesel was out at many stations and while I was eating at work testerday I heard a trucker on his phone trying to get out of the area to find diesel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]

SHTF is happening now!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just got off work.
Most ATM in the area are out of money, ALL gas will be gone tonight,(I filled up with the expensive stuff because all other stations were totally out at a group of 5 stations), the nearest pharmacy open is in Baton Rouge.
Hospitals in the area are shutting down if small, transporting patients to other facilities if possible.
If New Orleans get water behind the levy, worst case, it will take the Corp of Engineers 6 months to get it out.
New Orleans is expected to be uninhabitable in places for more than 6 months anyway.
I'll be back tommorrow if I gotta get on the motorcyclejetski.

Fixed it for ya.  

We're praying for ya
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just got off work.
I'll be back tommorrow if I gotta get on the motorcycle.

Stay safe.  I fear things will be very chaotic and busy for you guys in the next few days.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
There will be many good SHTF lessons to be learned -- unfortunately, they will be learned at the expense of the good people of N'Awluns, which is a city I have visited many times and love dearly.

However, lesson 1 so far is make sure you have a stash of cash in your SHTF bag.  I have $100 in mine, in $5s and singles.  I also have an additional $40 in quarters.  Won't get me far, but it will get me thru a 5-7 day bugging-in should the power go out in the area.

Lesson 2 is "bugging-in" isn't always a healthy option.

God bless the people of N'Awluns -- they'll need it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There will be many good SHTF lessons to be learned -- unfortunately, they will be learned at the expense of the good people of N'Awluns, which is a city I have visited many times and love dearly.

However, lesson 1 so far is make sure you have a stash of cash in your SHTF bag.  I have $100 in mine, in $5s and singles.  I also have an additional $40 in quarters.  Won't get me far, but it will get me thru a 5-7 day bugging-in should the power go out in the area.

Good thing to remember about having cash on hand. My wife doesn't seem to grasp that an ATM is a machine that can cease to exist.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thing to remember about having cash on hand. My wife doesn't seem to grasp that an ATM is a machine that can cease to exist.

2 days into no power here last year durin the canes,, no cash and no gas.....nothing works without power!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Topped off the tanks in the trucks and motorcycle, 15 gallons for the generator (I can drive for gas, I just don't want to loose refrigerators or the A/C at night).
My wife has us stocked up...we could last a month without a problem.
If it got really bad, I'm set to fend off the masses.
I got 100 American and 140,000 new Iraqi Dinars.......I'm bulletproof.
I just wouldn't want to be in the Super Dome...Last time the homies carried away all the furniture after looting the vendors...while being filmed, they didn't care! National Guard MP's are down there keeping them from killin' each other. (IT's on film..no IBTL needed)
Unfortunatly some tourist are there also....now they get to see why we have our "southern attitude" about certain things.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My prayers are with the people facing the storm. We were without power for most of two weeks after the two hurricanes hit us last year. Many places around town aren't any closer to being repaired that they were only weeks after Francis and Jeanne.

The only good I learned form our disaster was what I needed to change in my SHTF bags. FWIW, on an occasion beer is worth more than money.

May God have mercy on you all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Stay safe, and keep alert.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Topped off the tanks in the trucks and motorcycle, 15 gallons for the generator (I can drive for gas, I just don't want to loose refrigerators or the A/C at night).
My wife has us stocked up...we could last a month without a problem.
If it got really bad, I'm set to fend off the masses.
I got 100 American and 140,000 new Iraqi Dinars.......I'm bulletproof.
I just wouldn't want to be in the Super Dome...Last time the homies carried away all the furniture after looting the vendors...while being filmed, they didn't care! National Guard MP's are down there keeping them from killin' each other. (IT's on film..no IBTL needed)
Unfortunatly some tourist are there also....now they get to see why we have our "southern attitude" about certain things.

HELOBRAVO stay safe.  Our Prayers are with you.  While in church last night, our Father asked all of us to pray for your state.  We have sortof been where you are (just not as strong of a storm).  Just out of curiosity, is there any diesel fuel remaining?  Just curious.

God Bless,
Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
This is one big mean heifer.............. Be safe bud!

Watching fox news it sucks to see the impending doom............... Lot's of folks are gonna die I think...... I hope I'm wrong!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Prayers are with you my friend. It looks bad, I hope you make it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Thanks for the update.  Stay safe!

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
tag in hopes of future updates
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#15]
DUDE.

Watch for downed lines in your yard and neighbors yard. Check the poles before you walk into ANY water.

Watch for hanging branches waiting for you to walk under them.

ALL of our fatalaties in Broward happened AFTER the storm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn't LordTrader move to NO a few months ago? anybody ehard from him?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Stay safe HELOBRAVO...

Keep an eye out for looters- this morning's news said that some people were already arrested for looting (!)...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

guy couldn't get laid in a hurricane with MREs stickin' out his pocket.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in Dallas this weekend.  Supposedly his company is setting up an emergency HQ in Shreveport.

TRG

PS.  But, all of LT's clothes, etc are in NO and he might still suffer some losses from that.

Well if it's clothes he'll need......... I'm sure I can track down some............. Like this:

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you suppose my daughters would elope if I modeled that Pimphats.com outfit. Hmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was in Dallas this weekend.  Supposedly his company is setting up an emergency HQ in Shreveport.

TRG

PS.  But, all of LT's clothes, etc are in NO and he might still suffer some losses from that.

Well if it's clothes he'll need......... I'm sure I can track down some............. Like this:
www.grist.org/advice/ask/2004/07/12/disco_shirt.jpg

polo.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPOLO2-1828571_standard_v330.jpg

www.pimphats.com/pimpsuitsnew/lrgxlredleo.jpg

All joking aside, he might need some AR15.com support.  Seriously, LT had all of his clothes and personal items in NO.

TRG

I know.................. I'm sorry!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top