Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 12:27:36 PM EDT
I wonder how many of OUR TAX DOLLARS it cost to send out that check?

www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040829/NEWS/40829003/1039

Hurricane Victim Seethes at 'Token' $1.69 FEMA Check

By ANDREW MARRA
Cox News Service

One day after Donald Seither's mobile home was ripped up by Hurricane Charley, the 74-year-old retiree picked up a friend's phone and pleaded for federal aid.

Technically, he got it. But mostly, he got ticked off.

Seeking the government's help, the Punta Gorda resident — after being put on hold for 2 1/2 hours — got through to the Federal Emergency Management Agency and told his tale: a damaged roof, shattered windows and no electricity.

About a week later, a check from the U.S. Treasury came in the mail. Here, Seither figured, was the hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars he and his wife would need to help rebuild their lives.

Then he opened the envelope and read the fine print. The check's value: $1.69.

It turned out Seither and his wife didn't appear to qualify for major federal assistance because they had insurance coverage. But rather than reject them outright, FEMA says it is giving them, and several other hurricane victims, token sums instead.

It's a quirk in a system intended to provide serious relief for those whose lives have been disrupted or destroyed. FEMA says for many, a small sum is better than nothing.

"I know $1.69 sounds ridiculous, but if the guy seems entitled to it, we're going to cut the check," said Butch Ducote, a FEMA spokesman.

Seither is not alone. Ducote said FEMA has received a handful of calls from other puzzled victims with small checks, though he could not say how many have been issued.

"I can assure you that checks that small rarely happen, but it does show you the effort," Ducote said.

The token relief carries an unintended consequence. For residents who spent much of the past two weeks living amid rubble without electricity, it can feel less like help and more like a slap in the face.

"I fell to the floor and I started to cry," said Seither, recalling his disappointment when he opened the envelope. He said he and his wife still live in the mobile home, which sustained roof and siding damage and had a tree jutting through a window after the storm.

FEMA, which provides financial support for the uninsured and underinsured in the aftermath of major disasters, says it has written nearly 42,000 checks worth more than $68 million to victims since Hurricane Charley nailed southwest Florida on Aug. 13.

That money has gone a long way toward helping tens of thousands with everything from home repairs to replacing damaged furniture and paying for clothing and medical care.

About 70 Floridians have qualified so far for the maximum FEMA award: $25,600.

But at the other extreme are people like Seither.

When he opened his envelope and called FEMA in a rage, someone told him the money was provided so he could buy a gallon of gas for his generator.

"I said, 'Evidently you don't live in Florida,' " Seither said. "Because gas here is $1.83."

He said he's not ungrateful but can't believe the federal government would go to the trouble to mail him a check for such a pittance.

"It's an insult," he said. "I would rather have gotten nothing."

Such was his anger that he took the check to a local radio station and railed against the federal agency on the air.

Seither's plight came to the attention of local FEMA officials, who found his case bizarre and decided to investigate.

"At first people thought it was just a misplaced decimal point," said FEMA spokesman Doug Welty. "But this was in fact a legitimate check."

Welty said it was impossible for him to say why a FEMA official decided to award Seither the exact amount he received. Aid requests are assessed case by case and are based on several factors, including the extent of a victim's insurance coverage and how much damage he or she can document.

In many instances, FEMA officials go to homes to assess the damage themselves.

Welty said he understands that receiving such a small check can seem insulting. But he pointed out that the only alternative would be to not send it at all — something sure to raise plenty of ire as well.

"If you don't do it, then people get (angry)," he said.

Seither said he's not going to cash his check. He's holding on to it as a novelty item. Someone already has offered him $24 for it, he said.

Now he's considering auctioning it on eBay.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm torn between thinking that this guy is some kinda "welfare recipient" who got nothing when he thought he had it coming or if he really needed aid and got the shit end the stick.

He had insurance, so he did'nt "need" it. Right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I received a US Treasury check for 19 cents at NAS Memphis for travel...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]

It turned out Seither and his wife didn't appear to qualify for major federal assistance because they had insurance coverage.

FEMA, which provides financial support for the uninsured and underinsured in the aftermath of major disasters...

Now FEMA will have to spend money to come up with a policy that says if you don't have $XXX worth of damage for us to cut you a check for then NO CHECK FOR YOU!

Ungrateful SOB

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Donald, you got $1.69 more than you deserve. Now go see your insurance agent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
i got folks all around me callin fema for evrything from a wet dish towel to no home!!! i wasnt wanting to call since we had insc, and a roof over our heads ,, but the wife  called anyway,, we had to move,,lost both trucks,,ect,,  we were maybe out 700-1000$  if ya figure,,gas, insc, deductables, food moving ectect,,,, well 4 days after she spoke with a fema rep we got a check,, 1200+$ im more than happy,,,,,,, but i still wouldnt have called,,,at least now we wont be in the hole for the next 4 months trying to build back up...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"I fell to the floor and I started to cry," said Seither, recalling his disappointment when he opened the envelope. He said he and his wife still live in the mobile home, which sustained roof and siding damage and had a tree jutting through a window after the storm.

When he opened his envelope and called FEMA in a rage, someone told him the money was provided so he could buy a gallon of gas for his generator.

"I said, 'Evidently you don't live in Florida,' " Seither said. "Because gas here is $1.83."

He said he's not ungrateful but can't believe the federal government would go to the trouble to mail him a check for such a pittance.

Such was his anger that he took the check to a local radio station and railed against the federal agency on the air.

Fuck him. Says he's not ungrateful, then goes on the air and bitches. Don't live in hurricane country in a mobile home and expect everyone else to subsidize your stupidity.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Waaa..

FEMA should be disbanded. It's your own damn fault if you are uninsured or undersinsured. Even more so if you choose to live in a fucking aluminum box in a disaster prone area.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
They live in an aluminum can that is kinda attached to the ground and they found someone to insure them in the storm rich environment.
They prpbably left NY or NJ and were thrilled to be paying less in taxes until they realized they weren't in Kansas anymore.
My advice: don't play lotto, you got all you gonna get...

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm trying to figure out why the Federal Government is in the wealth redistribution racket in the first place....OTOH, if I were to lose a home and got a Fed check I'd consider it a tax refund.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Just smile and say thanks you greedy geezer !!
That $1.69 came from a hard working mans paycheck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell, if he spent enough time on an online forum, people woulda showed up to bail him out by now.

- BG

God bless Israel... and AR15.com
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just smile and say thanks you greedy geezer !!
That $1.69 came from a hard working mans paycheck.

Actually at least $100 plus dollars came from our pockets.
The 2.5 hours he was on hold had to be to an 800# or he woulda hung up.
The claims acessor that OK'ed the claim.
The clerk that cut the check and mailed it...

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
That check cost us, Are you ready for this. One Million Dollars
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you say "Entitlement mentality".
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I gotta say Bullshit here.

Assuming the following:

This man owned his home.
This man payed his taxes in accordance with all regulations.
This man suffered a loss atributable to the Hurricane for which FEMA is paying damage benefits.

He has every right to expect some significant form of assistance, when it is declared by Goobermint Officials that he is entitled to a "benefit"

Otherwise, I suggest he is entitled to a refund of the portion of his taxes paid that go towards "Federal Emergency Disaster Relief".
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Assuming the following:

This man owned his home.
This man suffered a loss atributable to the Hurricane for which FEMA is paying damage benefits.".

He lives in a trailer, which he most likely owns, but rents the space it sits on. Thus paying no property taxes.

Either way, its not the taxpayers responsiblity to bail others out of the consequences of their own poor choises.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#19]
We have/had (They may have floated away)a Retard Colony in Wayne N.J.  that lives on land that can not sustain grass as it is 25ft. from the river and whenever it rains the front yard goes bye bye.
They have been bitchin' for years that the Army Corp of Engineers has done nothing to help them.
Maybe the Officer in charge should try yellings "Hey F*ck-Tards you live on a Frickin' River"
That might help...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Assuming the following:

This man owned his home.
This man suffered a loss atributable to the Hurricane for which FEMA is paying damage benefits.".

He lives in a trailer, which he most likely owns, but rents the space it sits on. Thus paying no property taxes.

Either way, its not the taxpayers responsiblity to bail others out of the consequences of their own poor choises.

No, my saying "Bullshit" is with respect to the ASSHATS from DC showin up with the old
"We're from the Goobermint and we're here to help!"

If it's a big enough deal to roll out the disaster relief, a check for a buck or two is an unacceptable outcome.  

To me, it's better to tell the person "we're sorry for your loss, but currently we are unable to give you financial assistance."

It's certainly not my position that people should let the Gov't shoulder the risk instead of having their own insurance, but if help is promised, THEN HELP DAMMIT!!!!

[/rant]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
FEMA, which provides financial support for the uninsured and underinsured in the aftermath of major disasters, says it has written nearly 42,000 checks worth more than $68 million to victims since Hurricane Charley nailed southwest Florida on Aug. 13.

I feel bad for folks that had their lives disrupted by the hurricane, but HELLO, you live in FL, get hurricane insurance!!!

Now if the insurance company somehow screwed them over, I don't mind the gov't helping out, BUT I don't think anyone should get money for failing to get the necessary insurance.  The way I look at it insurance (home, car, etc.) is a bit of a gamble.  You can go your entire life without it and never need it.  On the other hand a tree could fall on your house tomorrow.  I shouldn't have my tax money going to help those that played the 'no insurance game' and lost.

Hey, that makes two of us buddy, I also would prefer it if you got nothing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I feel bad for folks that had their lives disrupted by the hurricane, but HELLO, you live in FL, get hurricane insurance!!!

Just so you know how hurricane insurance works. And yes, we get screwed. Most hurricane insurance has a 5% deductible + your regular deductible ($3000).  So lets say you have $100,000 home, you get some roof and windows damage, about $7,000 worth.  If you do the math right 5% of $100,000 = $5000, so you total deductible is $8,000. I don't know about you, but I don't have that much saved up, plus i pay well over $700 per year in insurance that may not help me out.

Got to love insurance!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I received a US Treasury check for 19 cents at NAS Memphis for travel...

How far did you get?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hey, that makes two of us buddy, I also would prefer it if you got nothing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top