Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 2:45:14 AM EDT
This story ran in our local weekly newspaper. (FYI) Grosse Ile is a island in southeast Michigan and one nice place to live.

Family turns down offer to move to Michigan
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they just wanted to stay near LA if they feel that is their home.  He didn't say the house was free did he or did I misread that?  Regardless They might just not want to live in that state permanantly.  It isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I can see where the donor would have his feelings hurt, but for people who have not lived their entire lives in the tropics, it would be difficult to imagine how dreadfully intolerant we who have lived down here are of the cold. I was 29 years old before I ever saw snow. People are miserable and frightened if the temperature hits 40F. I can understand reluctance to go that far north.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Let's see  These folks lost everything. Some guy drives 900 miles and offers help. And I mean real help. Not pledges, not donations, not lip service, not prayer and not songs on TV.  Same guy offers:   1- A nice house to live in. 2- A new wardrobe for all.  3- A job for all.  Same guy gets turned downed because of the weather. Give me a break.  Guess them poor folks will fare better at the Astrodome, or in some tent city with a more temperate climate.  Keep them welfare checks a comin'.  

One pissed Yankee
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Gov Romney in Massachusetts was moving forward last week with plans to house up to 2500 evacuees on a military base in Cape Cod. The plan fell apart when less than 25 people were willing to make the trip.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Baltimore converted an arena into a shelter, complete with hundreds of cots, lots of food, medical care, etc. They have yet to see one refugee as far as I know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
It was a generous and noble offer.

Maybe the couple thought they could make it on their own and not owe the guy anything. Working for the same guy who owns your house would make me uncomfortable. Maybe the guy is a little odd and it spooked them...

There's also a firehose of aid money coming soon. They could miss out if they have jobs and a home in MI.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gov Romney in Massachusetts was moving forward last week with plans to house up to 2500 evacuees on a military base in Cape Cod. The plan fell apart when less than 25 people were willing to make the trip.

This is apparently happening all over the country…

They were ready to take 450 in the local area and only 72 came Saturday and were sent to a local 4-H Camp… several look to be disabled. Then no more.

Apparently FEMA sent word today for ALL TN shelters to stand down as they would not be needed at this time.

Word floating around is the refuges don’t want to come here… sounds like they don’t want to go anywhere.

I suspect the red carpet in Texas is going to get thin real quick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top