Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/23/2015 8:18:07 AM EDT
NEW ORLEANS — Ten years ago the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina poured relentlessly into the Lower Ninth Ward, battering a struggling neighborhood of mostly poor black families.

It was, at the time, a New Orleans neighborhood of about 14,000 people. Now fewer than 3,000 people live there — a decade after most of the homes were simply washed away.

A visit there last week presented a post-apocalyptic landscape of neglect: a street grid with a house here and there, interspersed with empty lots. Only recently did the city begin to repair what’s left of the streets there. Curb cuts went in two months ago; pavement will follow.

All this, 10 years after Aug. 29, 2005, when the deluge broke through the levees and wrecked everything in its path.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hurricane-katrina-10-yrs-new-orleans-struggles-article-1.2334479
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Funny how that particular neighborhood failed to rebuild itself.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Meanwhile, the Vietnamese neighborhood blocks away had generators running a week after the storm.  

Dependents gonna depend.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Struggling my ass.

The ninth ward is flourishing.

I went to wine house with some friends a while back, the whole area has been taken over by hipsters.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Bush's fault. He blew up the levees and steered the storm there because he hates black people. -Kanye West.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Mitch Landrieu was in Houston last week soliciting former N.O. residents to come home. Of course he made sure that they knew that funding would be available to ease the transition !
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meanwhile, the Vietnamese neighborhood blocks away had generators running a week after the storm.  

Dependents gonna depend.
View Quote

Needs to be repeated.  I keep hearing "Oh, the poor Katrina victims!!!111!!!!111!!", and I just wanna barf.  Ten years later, and you STILL haven't got your shit together???  Brother, your problems are ENTIRELY of your own making.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#7]
#ohwell ®
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]

A visit there last week presented a post-apocalyptic landscape of
neglect: a street grid with a house here and there, interspersed with
empty lots. Only recently did the city begin to repair what’s left of
the streets there. Curb cuts went in two months ago; pavement will
follow.
View Quote

So, you are saying almost nothing has changed in the last 30 years.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol, as much as I love NOLA

Some parts of the Mississippi gulf coast nolonger existed after that storm, and they have been back up and running.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Orleans Parish has always been a center for graft and corruption.  Why does anyone think a flood would change that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#12]
14000 down to 3000, sounds like most did leave.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Struggling my ass.

I went to wine house with some friends a while back, the whole area has been taken over by hipsters.
View Quote

This, some will argue if they are an improvement though.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

9,000 of them moved to Houston.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dependents gonna depend.
View Quote

THis
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Bush's fault
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bush's fault
View Quote

Yep.  No matter what the problem, there is an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil white hetero male somewhere that is entirely to blame.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rebuilding is hard work.

Seems the government isn't willing to do that for them.

Contrast that to the cities in Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, or elsewhere that get hit with a tornado and they rebuild getting loans from the federal government and repaying them in time.

Wonder how Houston has changed in the last ten years?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Rebuilding is hard work.

Contrast that to the cities in Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, or elsewhere that get hit with a tornado and they rebuild getting loans from the federal government and repaying them in time.

The road back has been particularly difficult for black residents, whose households now earn 54% less than white households. The poverty rate dropped somewhat after the storm due to the disproportionate exodus of the poor, but has surged back to its prior level — an astonishing 27%.

This.

Look at Greensburg, KS, for example.

Eight years ago, 90% of the town was wiped out by one of the largest tornadoes ever to hit the state. Five years later, the town has been completely rebuilt, and better than ever.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Japan 9 months after the tsunami hit....

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/japan-tsunami-recovery-then-and-now/
View Quote

That is a racist photo.  They must have had the gummint do ALL of that rebuilding.  Hurricanes are racist.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Being a native New Orleanian I can tell you that the lower 9th Ward was not a verdant paradise even before Katrina. It was a squalid ghetto with decrepit houses falling down due to years of neglect. There were burned out houses and empty lots well before hand.

Katrina did flush out a lot of detritus to places like Houston. Meanwhile, while the 9th Ward still flounders other neighborhoods have come back with a vengeance. The Lakefront, the Marigny, the Bywater have all made drastic changes. New Orleans East is also a wasteland but was that way before the storm.

New Orleans has also benefitted from renewed tourism and an increasing population of hipsters as another member noted. Finally, after Katrina New Orleans has become a Hollywood favorite. A number of famous actors from Brad Pitt to John Goodman reside there. Also many films like 21 Jump St. have been shot there as well.

A lot of New Orleans has recovered after the storm. However, neighborhoods that residents had not taken care of before the storm are not going to return if said residents aren't willing to rebuild it themselves. Any amount of money poured into such a project will be wasted through graft an corruption.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#22]
As soon as Obozo rebuilds it and gives them all nice things for free they will come running back and leave the area they have now destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh look the ghetto blacks are whining. That's new. They even had to throw in the bit that 30k young whites moved in. Like well behaved people who work is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I remember the vulnerables getting all butthurt after the feds told them their project would not be rebuilt.  That was priceless.  Unfortunately a lot of them stayed in Houston because of those decisions.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#25]
For those of you that never venture into the ham forum:

Episode 24: Ham Radio and Hurricane Katrina with KB5WMY

It showed how hams played an important role in the rescue efforts.  Great interview Cale.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Some have no concept of work, the article didn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

hard to do when most of the people were in other towns now, relocated with your tax dollars.

funny how the crime rates in these towns went up immediately following their arrival.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Rebuilding is hard work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rebuilding is hard work.

The road back has been particularly difficult for black residents, whose households now earn 54% less than white households. The poverty rate dropped somewhat after the storm due to the disproportionate exodus of the poor, but has surged back to its prior level — an astonishing 27%.

Yep, I can think of Moore, OK. Joplin, MO. and Greensburg, KS.  all have gotten flattened by tornados.  All of them have rebuilt themselves.  Moore has done it 3 times over!  Hell, I remember after the Greensburg tornado some of the people were bitching that the first responders were taking to long!

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Struggling my ass.

While I havent been there in a long time, almost 3 weeks, I agree.

Hipsters do tend to commit less crime though. Overall, I say a win for the city.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dependents gonna depend.
View Quote

Oddly, the neighborhoods in Mississippi, you know the ones that took the direct hit of the storm, have also totally rebuilt.

While you can see empty pads where houses used to be, if you didn't know any better, you'd just think there were a lot of open lots along Beach Boulevard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#32]
You know, 10 years after 9/11, there was still a giant hole in the ground in NY.

We used to call the lower 9th the DMZ before the storm; except for there being fewer people down there, the place doesn't look much different now than it did back then.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#33]
So, the ghetto didn't get rebuilt, and people are complaining... why?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Needs to be repeated.  I keep hearing "Oh, the poor Katrina victims!!!111!!!!111!!", and I just wanna barf.  Ten years later, and you STILL haven't got your shit together???  Brother, your problems are ENTIRELY of your own making.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dependents gonna depend.

This. If Katrina had hit Provo, Utah, the place would have been completely rebuilt in a year. There, I said it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#35]
There's gotta be a reason that some groups of people don't take care of or pride in their living conditions. I wonder what it could be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mitch Landrieu was in Houston last week soliciting former N.O. residents to come home. Of course he made sure that they knew that funding would be available to ease the transition !
View Quote

I hope they take his offer.
There has been an awful lot of violent crime here in Houston involving these people from NO.
A bunch of parasites generally.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I remember right after Katrina the Army Corps of Engineers wanted to return the 9th ward to it's natural state to serve as flood plains, to mitigate future flooding from hurricanes.  Man, you should have heard the wailing and the shrieks of "Dass RASSIS!!!"  The accusations started flying how Bush wanted to destroy the black culture of the 9th ward that was responsible for the rich ethnic vibrancy of New Orleans itself.  All the while, the administration was trying to tell them they were going to rebuild a whole new community north of New Orleans out of the way of more storms.

The Corps of Engineers quickly backed off with the warning this was just going to happen again and again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Bush's fault. He blew up the levees and steered the storm there because he hates black people. -Kanye West.
View Quote
Gay Fish

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Reparations, they needs em.  Oh, and more free shit
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#40]
99% of the problems I have ran into with the bank and insurance company trying to rebuild after my house fire are a result of policies instituted because of Katrina. Thanks obama.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Struggling my ass.

View Quote
It's talking about its original native inhabitants.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For those of you that never venture into the ham forum:

Episode 24: Ham Radio and Hurricane Katrina with KB5WMY

It showed how hams played an important role in the rescue efforts.  Great interview Cale.
View Quote

It was a HAM operator that got word to my sister that her daughter was alive. She was working on a ranch and wouldn't leave the horses even though the flood waters were approaching. The HAM operators saved my sisters sanity that day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#43]
A lot of those communities along the coast in MS and LA that quickly rebuilt were majority black.  What is it about NOLA that retards their recovery?

Also, those pics of Japan?  I see a lot of clean-up but not so much rebuilding.  I'd like to see an overview shot of the area - bet there are a lot of vacant spots.  Nice and tidy, sure, but still empty.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much did we offer to pay them if they leave?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lol, as much as I love NOLA

Some parts of the Mississippi gulf coast nolonger existed after that storm, and they have been back up and running.

View Quote

We're resillient as hell.

No damage for me...save for a small leak out in the garage that will be fixed in a few weeks.
I remember losing power when it rolled through this area the night of 28th.  We only got a heavy rain and heavy winds though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of them have moved to Huntsville.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As soon as Obozo rebuilds it and gives them all nice things for free they will come running back and leave the area they have now destroyed.
View Quote

Didn't he promise all that in his first campaign????
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Being a native New Orleanian I can tell you that the lower 9th Ward was not a verdant paradise even before Katrina. It was a squalid ghetto with decrepit houses falling down due to years of neglect. There were burned out houses and empty lots well before hand.

Katrina did flush out a lot of detritus to places like Houston. Meanwhile, while the 9th Ward still flounders other neighborhoods have come back with a vengeance. The Lakefront, the Marigny, the Bywater have all made drastic changes. New Orleans East is also a wasteland but was that way before the storm.

New Orleans has also benefitted from renewed tourism and an increasing population of hipsters as another member noted. Finally, after Katrina New Orleans has become a Hollywood favorite. A number of famous actors from Brad Pitt to John Goodman reside there. Also many films like 21 Jump St. have been shot there as well.

A lot of New Orleans has recovered after the storm. However, neighborhoods that residents had not taken care of before the storm are not going to return if said residents aren't willing to rebuild it themselves. Any amount of money poured into such a project will be wasted through graft an corruption.

View Quote
Thankfully, Ike washed all of the large public housing away in Galveston.  Ask yourself, who thinks it proper to have welfare recipients living on the island in the first place, just blocks off the Strand, one of the biggest tourist attractions there?  Its well known that you didn't wander away from the strand or you would be robbed and beaten.  Now, its safe.  The Dems are hollering about rebuilding public housing there.  I agree that there needs to be a way for service employees who serve tourist industry to access the island and live close by, but those are people that actually work.  It seems like Tillman Fertitta and the Galveston Housing Auth can come up with a plan that provides low income housing to families that are sponsored by a local employer.  As an alternate, provide low cost bussing from the mainland apartment complexes.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey maybe they could just pay them enough they could afford a vehicle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top