Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/12/2006 3:28:20 PM EDT
Does it make you look/feel stupid?

I mean, a FAL, AK, or AR15 would be prefectly fine in a hunting situation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:29:24 PM EDT
it makes me unique
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 3:31:29 PM EDT by DOW]
Fuck that. I planned on taking my M1A wild boar hunting until I found out it's a "canned" hunt. Gonna have to wait 'till deer season now.

ETA
I prefer a .30 cal round to hunt deer, etc. I wouldn't take my AR.

Begin the shitstorm
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:31:11 PM EDT
Friend of mine brought down a boar with an M1 Garand. I had my Mosin Nagant M38.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:31:24 PM EDT
I use my FAL and I really don't give a flying f#$% if it bothers anyone else.

It's a heavy hunting rifle though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:31:48 PM EDT
I think a 98K could knock down about anything you are likely to see in the woods.

I know it has good knockdown power on my shoulder!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:41:20 PM EDT
I never use a commercial/civilian rifle to hunt deer. I either use an AK, AR, Mosin, or now I have a 1903 and an M39 that I can use too. I do admit to occasionally getting funny looks from other hunters, but I am comfortable in the fact that I can out shoot most of them being as how I shoot the same rifle I hunt with all year and they only picked up their rifles for the first time last week to go and sight it in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 3:55:11 PM EDT by the_great_snag]

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
I never use a commercial/civilian rifle to hunt deer. I either use an AK, AR, Mosin, or now I have a 1903 and an M39 that I can use too. I do admit to occasionally getting funny looks from other hunters, but I am comfortable in the fact that I can out shoot most of them being as how I shoot the same rifle I hunt with all year and they only picked up their rifles for the first time last week to go and sight it in.

BIG +1. Even when I use my model 70 I am at an advantage because that rifle is constantly at the range with me.

I used an M4gery in 6.8 SPC this year. It was fun to see the looks I got from other deer hunters when I was standing out by the road with my YHM 4 rail FF tube, flip-up BUIS, 25 round mag, optics, and all the other evil features plainly visible! Northern MN is pretty pro-gun though, so I doubt many of them thought much of it. It was a fun conversation piece back at the deer camp though.

One Elmer Fudd asked me if it was an "automatic army gun"... he he he He was really freaked when I showed him some of the sub 3/4" groups I'd fired with it earlier in the day when I did a zero check at the range! Mostly though I kept getting the old "you can't hunt deer in MN with a .223" argument. NO one had a CLUE what 6.8 SPC meant... oh well...

I also HAD an AK but sold it because I could see NO way to quietly or quickly flip the safety lever to "fire" in a hunting situation, and I'm not about to walk in the woods or even sit in a stand with a rifle on "fire". Ditto my M44 Mosin Nagant. The safety is WAY too awkward to manipulate in a quick shooting situation, as I am so often presented with.

ETA: I also had serious reservations about the accuracy potential of both guns, and the virtual impossibility of reliably mounting optics suitable for hunting.

OTOH, my AR and my SKS have wonderful safeties which can be manipulated quietly and quickly, as do MOST military bolt guns.

I've shot several deer with my SKS's. My AR was skunked in its only season afield though. Luckily my model 70 wasn't though!
Top Top