Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 4:16:53 PM EDT
By ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 12 minutes ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Somali immigrants upset over the fatal police shooting of a man they say had mental health problems rallied Friday in protest, questioning the decision to use deadly force.

A crowd that Columbus police estimated in the hundreds alternated between standing in front of City Hall and marching around two city blocks chanting and yelling, "We want justice!"

Protesters held signs with statements such as, "Nasir Abdi needed medication, not a bullet."

Nasir Abdi, 23, was shot Wednesday as four Franklin County deputies tried to take him back to a mental hospital where he had been force-fed medications. Columbus police detectives said Abdi had threatened them with a kitchen knife with a 6-inch blade.

But Somali leaders said witnesses to the shooting never saw a knife in Abdi's hands.

"What we need is the facts to come out, and we want justice to be served," said Liibaan Ismail of Columbus, a spokesman for the protesters gathered outside City Hall.

Bashir Mohamud, a 23-year-old Ohio State University student, said he came to the protest because he didn't think Abdi had to die.

"The police just shot him without reason. I believe they could have saved him instead of killing him," said Mohamud, who came to Columbus from Somalia about three years ago.

Sheriff Jim Karnes said Friday that his office was familiar with Abdi and his mental health problems, though the deputy who shot him was probably not. Nevertheless, he said, his officers know their responsibilities.

"They know what they have to do to protect themselves and the public," he said.

Karnes said his officers have taken only the minimum training in dealing with mentally ill suspects required by the state.

"Unless it's mandated by the state, we probably don't have enough time or money to do it," Karnes said. "Training costs money."

Crisis training is a priority for a state Supreme Court committee studying the mentally ill and the court system.

Such training is voluntary for police departments in Ohio, though a growing number are taking advantage of it.

"You can't deal with a mentally ill person like you can with a person who is rational," state Supreme Court Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton said Friday. "They don't think the same way. They're in a delusion."

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoulda drug his dead ass through the streets and let the locals defile his body so they would feel "at home".

Fuck 'em!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The third fourth world, coming to an American city near you. Believe it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
dragging him through the streets would make you an animal unless he was involved with dragging our soldiers through their streets. that said, i doubt the police just shot him for fun. i imagine they were threatened in some way. it should be investigated and then put to bed. the idiots will make a big deal until they are ignored into silence by reasonable people. just like always.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shoulda drug his dead ass through the streets and let the locals defile his body so they would feel "at home".

Fuck 'em!

damn straight!! Fuckers!

RIP Shugart & Gordon

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Tranquilizer gun!

Can't fault the cops though. Come at a bunch of guys with guns and you can expect to get shot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
[Katie Couric]Couldn't the police just have shot him in the leg?[Katie Couric]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Do we have to go through this shit everytime a black person gets shot?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuckin' Skinny was probably all hopped on on Khat.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
There was one guy there with a sign supporting the cops.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck 'em!

damn straight!! Fuckers!

RIP Shugart & Gordon

+1
Fuck em.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Wonder how many Somali's were killed by Somali's in Somalia this week? Any "Somali-Americans" whining about that...?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wonder how many Somali's were killed by Somali's in Somalia this week? Any "Somali-Americans" whining about that...?

No. of course not, because over there they would just get whacked....here they become the darlings of the libs and media....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless this is a situation were the officers were bumrushed by a knife wielding looney then I would think this situation is a perfect case for a Taser unlike 7 yr old kids and 80-something grandmothers.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dragging him through the streets would make you an animal unless he was involved with dragging our soldiers through their streets. that said, i doubt the police just shot him for fun. i imagine they were threatened in some way. it should be investigated and then put to bed. the idiots will make a big deal until they are ignored into silence by reasonable people. just like always.

+1
I can't believe how often some here repeat the same stereotyping.

So WTF do we do,kill every national of a country we have fought, because THOSE mother F'rs committed atrocities against us?

Unbelievable!

Yep, Im in.
Fucking shit eating skinnys.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well....  agree on your 1st point... but the second point..... I just dunno. It's the FRANKLIN CO. Sheriff's department... among OTHER abuses... a deputy (female, African-American) was involved in a "road rage" incident where she pointed her SERVICE firearm at a taxi-driver and allegedly threatened too kill him. The SHERIFF was bitch slapped by the OHIO SC for violating the LAW (CHL) and embarrased into doing his JOB.

Does this mean that the Somalli didn't "deserve" to be shot? NO. Just calls into Question if procedure was adequately followed is all. (BTW, the Sheriff is a DEM for those who take these things into consideration).
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Unless this is a situation were the officers were bumrushed by a knife wielding looney then I would think this situation is a perfect case for a Taser unlike 7 yr old kids and 80-something grandmothers.  

Hmm... I'm with you on the Taser, but I don't see that fixing anything. They would just be asking How dare those JBT Tase a helpless knife wielding Looney.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The third fourth world, coming to an American city near you. Believe it.

No truer words have ever been spoken....

God told me to post that.
-HS
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
I can't believe how often some here repeat the same stereotyping.

So WTF do we do,kill every national of a country we have fought, because THOSE mother F'rs committed atrocities against us?

Unbelievable!

Yep, Im in.
Fucking shit eating skinnys.

Couldn't have said it better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Part of the problem is that these are the refugees they, our government, brought from Somalia to here.  The govt. brought 50k or so of them here and has been using tax money to buy them houses, send them to college, buy them cars, etc.

I doubt you will find much symp[athy for them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I think Othom of Morabvia (1122 -1190 AD) said it best when he wrote "Phuque thim, and they, and all uv thim."
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, in other news we had 15-30 youths beat a motorist nearly to death in Milwaukee for the capital crime of honking his horn at them because they were loitering in the middle of the street... Probably the 4th or 5th of the last 2 years....

As much as I would have liked the news article to read '10 shot in attempted mob beating'', the weeks of 'mama's good boy didn't deserve to die' on TV would probably drown out the original message...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top