Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/31/2011 8:03:23 AM EDT
My wife, kid, and some friends were sitting in a restaurant waiting to be seated Friday night.  In walks a couple with a 6 or 7 year old Down's Syndrome boy. The kid walks straight to me and sticks out his hand.  I shake it.  Then he reaches his arms out to hug me.  I hugged him back. He was a sweet little booger, started playing with his mom's iPhone right after that.  His mom and dad looked slightly embarrassed but were smiling.  I said a few words to them about children that age, but didn't know quite what to say.

What would you have done?  (besides blade, pull your ccw, yada, yada)
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have done the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sounds good.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Uh, hug the kid.

When the girls get to be teenagers then you have to sometimes blade to make sure it's a side hug as they can get a little friendly at that age.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Same thing as you did.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]
The same, as long as mom and dad were there, no issues. But, if they were not, I would have turned my back and walked away. Lessons learned from serving as a juror on several sex abuse cases..
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally I would have probably gone for a "side hug". But even a full hug can be innocent just dont do the back/shoulder rub or patting like some do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]
you did the right thing.
my 10 year old daughter's friend s have been known to hug me when when excited or I've congratulated them on an accomplishment. My rule is to return the hug ( so they don't feel rejected) but to never initiate it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What would you have done?

Given the little guy a hand shake and a hug just like you did.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Punch him in the face and draw down.

YOU WILL NOT HUG ME!!!  YOU WILL NOT HUG ME!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd have bought you a beer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife, kid, and some friends were sitting in a restaurant waiting to be seated Friday night.  In walks a couple with a 6 or 7 year old Down's Syndrome boy. The kid walks straight to me and sticks out his hand.  I shake it.  Then he reaches his arms out to hug me.  I hugged him back. He was a sweet little booger, started playing with his mom's iPhone right after that.  His mom and dad looked slightly embarrassed but were smiling.  I said a few words to them about children that age, but didn't know quite what to say.

Sounds harmless to me.  I would have hugged him.  Special kids need special attention.  It would have probably upset him if you would have avoided a hug.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#13]
This type thing kinda freaks me also , was in the restaurant biz for over 20 years and it happens all the time !

Always made me worry for the child if he ever did something like that to some worthless POS perv......
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#14]

As an attractive, fit, yet oddly single, male in his late 30's I stay the fuck away from other peoples children.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Uh, hug the kid.

When the girls get to be teenagers then you have to sometimes blade to make sure it's a side hug as they can get a little friendly at that age.

lol.  That and their boobs start to get huge and perky.  You don't want to do a full frontal boob smashing hug with your friends daughter or some random teenager.  That would be awkward to say the least.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Really? A thread was needed for this?

Unless I had a pocket full of peanuts to throw at the kid while making monkey noises, then I shake his hand, give him a hug and let it go.

Hell, I am wishing I had peanuts to throw at you for posting this thread.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Downs kids are very affectionate.  You did good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#19]
You did good OP.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Really? A thread was needed for this?

Unless I had a pocket full of peanuts to throw at the kid while making monkey noises, then I shake his hand, give him a hug and let it go.

Hell, I am wishing I had peanuts to throw at you for posting this thread.

TRG

Don't throw your penis at me bro.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I woulda done the same.

FWIW, the downs guys I used to work with were all huggers.  When I'd come in on the weekends I'd usually get a hug from most of them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#22]
You did the only thing you could and the right thing.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#23]
The usual social rules of engagement go by the wayside when dealing with a special needs child.  Kid wants a hug, give him a hug if he initiates it.

Otherwise the hugging of children unknown to you is pretty creepy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#24]
You should have asked if he liked gladiator movies.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Good job OP,did the right thing!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Happen to me. I went for the HI-Five instead. The kid had a blast with that!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
you did the right thing.
my 10 year old daughter's friend s have been known to hug me when when excited or I've congratulated them on an accomplishment. My rule is to return the hug ( so they don't feel rejected) but to never initiate it.

Learn to blade for the side hug, unless you want a 13yo attaching herself to you tighter than a pair of latex shorts.

She'll do it the first time in front of her parents or an adult you dont know.

Then you'll be like

And her dad will be like

Trust me, I used to volunteer for the Jr. High Youth group at our church
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Class is the ability to make others feel okay in unusual situations.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would have also.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too- and I usually treat kids that try to hug me the same as a dog trying to hump my leg.

Down's kids have it rough enough without having to worry about getting speed rocked over a hug.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As an attractive, fit, yet oddly single, male in his late 30's I stay the fuck away from other peoples children.

hahahaha  stay the fuck away from my kids
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Bleh, thread was not headed where I thought.

I did have an issue with a 27 year old guy constantly patting my 12 year old girl on the back, giving her a side hug, etc.

When I brought it up to one of his friends, they said "oh, he is just one of those huggy guys".

I said "huggy guy and I are going to have a real unpleasant talk if he keeps it up".

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#35]
From the OP, I would've done the same. Those kids mean well, and I wouldn't want to disappoint them; even though they have a learning disability, doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

Also, for other people's "normal" kids I usually don't initiate a hug, I may initiate a handshake, but if the kid initiates it, I usually follow through.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good.

Yep

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Did the right thing
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

kids are a funny subject... touchy subject. noone wants a stranger to come up, and start touching their kids. however, when a kid puts you on the spot like that, i would consider it rude, to not have done what you did. you were friendly to the little guy, and he was the instigator, who wanted a hug. if you would have told him to beat it, or somebody come get their kid, or cold shouldered him, they would have been pissed at you. it was a pretty good thing you did, and safe, as there were lots of witnesses as to what was actually going on..

however, if you ever encounter a child alone. its dangerous. you can talk to them, if they seem lost or afraid. just never touch them, or take them or have them follow you anywhere. call the cops , and report a lost child, is the safest bet, many might think it overboard, or over reacting, but after seeing the possible trouble that can result, id never take the chance, plus if someone does accuse you of trying to take their kid, a 911 call would go a long way to helping you look innocent. JMHO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Taser
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh, I thought this was going to be about a functional adult hugging other people's kids.
My GF's mom touches babies in their strollers while in public if left unguarded, just playing with their hands or noses, but you wouldn't believe how offended she gets when parents tell her to back off. "But I'm an elementary school librarian!" doesn't convince many parents she's in the right.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Class TEQUILA is the ability to make others feel okay in unusual situations.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Downs kids are very affectionate.  You did good.

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh, I thought this was going to be about a functional adult hugging other people's kids.
My GF's mom touches babies in their strollers while in public if left unguarded, just playing with their hands or noses, but you wouldn't believe how offended she gets when parents tell her to back off. "But I'm an elementary school librarian!" doesn't convince many parents she's in the right.

Kharn

Sounds like she would be an "interesting" MIL

"But I'm a Tier 1 mommy, why can't I continue to control your life"
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job. Downs kids are really some of the happiest kids around. It seems like they are always in a good mood.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#46]
In this case I see no reason to pop a pedo bear image
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Kharn

My wife and I had a teenage girl walk up and actually try to take our baby from my wife's arms.  She was going on about how cute our daughter was and all.  I'm sure she meant well, but my wife's fangs came out pretty quickly.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job. Downs kids are really some of the happiest kids around. It seems like they are always in a good mood.

The irony of that is pretty compelling.  They live shorter less "impressive" lives than the rest of us but they also probably spend more truly happy monents on this rock than most normal folks get.  

I woulda done the same thing.  Downs kids are littler (mentally) than they look too.  It's not wierd to them.  

Lots of folks these days seem mighty uncomfortable around kids.  That's sad.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Punch him in the face and draw down.

YOU WILL NOT HUG ME!!!  YOU WILL NOT HUG ME!!!!!

this

and more llama
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Kindness, it's contagious.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top