Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2015 8:52:00 AM EDT
Middle-Aged White Americans Are Dying of Despair

Even as longevity increases across the rich world, uneducated white Americans are living sicker and dying earlier. Two economists speculate on the reasons why. Since 1998, people all over the world have been living healthier and living longer. But middle-aged, white non-Hispanics in the United States have been getting sicker and dying in greater numbers. The trend is being driven primarily by people with a high-school degree or less.

That's the sobering takeaway from a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published this week.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The only solution to this is universal free healthcare.

That is sarcasm, for those with a broke detector.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I would hazard a guess that because a huge chunk of them are overweight, stressed to the max over too much debt, bitter at their wives or the fact they can't get laid, and hate their jobs.

That would cause anyone to stroke out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Once you reach the top, it is downhill in every direction.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Well poisonings are up a whole bunch along with chronic liver disease which is either alcoholic or sugar onset due to being fat
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.gallup.com/poll/150947/self-reported-weight-nearly-pounds-1990.aspx

Quit being fat, fatties, and quit taking 40 types of medication. "I'm taking stuff to cancel out the effects of other stuff"...brilliant!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]
From the article (not linked in OP)

Analyzing health and mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention and from other sources, they concluded that rising
annual death rates among this group are being driven not by the big
killers like heart disease and diabetes but by an epidemic of suicides and afflictions stemming from substance abuse: alcoholic liver disease and overdoses of heroin and prescription opioids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html?_r=1
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh.  I take all such studies with a grain of salt.  It's too easy to spin statistics to say whatever you want them to say.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Poor life choices and poor fitness
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.

"Man, it'll be so great when I'm 18 and an adult!"

"Man, it'll be so great when I'm 21 and a real adult!"

"Man, it'll be so great when I'm 25 and people stop thinking of me a kid!"

"Man, it'll be so great when I'm 30 and people start taking my adulthood seriously!"

"Man, being 40 is a little scary, but at least I'll finally be a real grown-up adult person!"

"Man, it's all the same after 40, right, and at least at 45 I'll have cred and finally be an honest to gosh true grown up!"

"Shit.  Stuff's starting to not all work properly.  And I can't just eat whatever I want anymore.  And I still haven't magically turned into a 'grownup.'  And I'm actually really and truly responsible for a lot of stuff now.  And I'm almost certainly past halfway to my eventual rendezvous with the Big Nap.  Shit."

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meh.  I take all such studies with a grain of salt.  It's too easy to spin statistics to say whatever you want them to say.
View Quote

Well, there's yer problem!

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would bet they are on point though.

Look at the working class middle aged people you know. In my case lots of them drink to excess, lots of them are overweight, and lots of them are on at least one kind of medication.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Poor life choices and poor fitness
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MQUaXFfLY
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Middle-Aged White Americans Are Dying of Despair

Even as longevity increases across the rich world, uneducated white Americans are living sicker and dying earlier. Two economists speculate on the reasons why. Since 1998, people all over the world have been living healthier and living longer. But middle-aged, white non-Hispanics in the United States have been getting sicker and dying in greater numbers. The trend is being driven primarily by people with a high-school degree or less.

That's the sobering takeaway from a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published this week.

http://www.unzcloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/us-mortality-1999-2013.jpg

View Quote

They probably want to kill themselves after they get fucked out of their children and money in a divorce.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

"Man, it'll be so great when I'm 30 and people start taking my adulthood seriously!"

"Man, being 40 is a little scary, but at least I'll finally be a real grown-up adult person!"

"Man, it's all the same after 40, right, and at least at 45 I'll have cred and finally be an honest to gosh true grown up!"

"Shit.  Stuff's starting to not all work properly.  And I can't just eat whatever I want anymore.  And I still haven't magically turned into a 'grownup.'  And I'm actually really and truly responsible for a lot of stuff now.  And I'm almost certainly past halfway to my eventual rendezvous with the Big Nap.  Shit."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

I am liking where I am at, I would stay at 30 if I could.

I have enough wrinkles and scars that people take me seriously when I talk to them. I can still bounce back pretty well from getting hurt or over working, and we aren't nearly as broke as we were 5 years ago.

I anticipate just being more grey, and less patient with people after the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?"
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, this isn't a man's world anymore in the west is it?

We live in a Nanny State.  Victory has defeated us, because we worked so hard to carve a civilization out of nothing that now that civilization is just too civilized for real men to have any place in it.  We're constrained more and more by rules that are never to our advantage and often disadvantage us as men.

There are no great frontiers left to explore or settle as the common man.  There are no great wars that they'll let us fight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Stress of having to work not only to support one's self, but a growing population of moochers and freeloaders.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The long term health effects of our white priviledge are starting to show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top