Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/23/2005 1:02:06 PM EDT
Two of my friends are likely going. One is pretty much a done deal. He has two boys ages 7 and 9. The other is just looking into it. The main thing stopping him is his four month old son.

Pay is 80-100k dollar range for a year contract.

The second guy has a drinking problem. Part of me thinks if he goes he'll clean up. He'd be going as a diesel mechanic.

Is there anything I should do or say to help him decide? Should I just mind my own business?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:03:11 PM EDT
MYOB.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:21:02 PM EDT
good idea to myob. I would not work there since they don't let you carry a weapon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:25:25 PM EDT
I know a KBR truckdriver, and hes back in country for a week. All of them arm themselves when they are over there. He just buys an ak47 for $25. Said the Marines doing convoy security dont care, only the managment in the US cares. He drives in the Sunni Triangle area, at night, night vision equipped.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:27:06 PM EDT
A buddy of mine and a guy in my unit, went to work for KBR for 4 mos last year doing HVAC work.

Said it wasnt too bad, kinda sucked one point though because they had to wear Kevlar and OTV for a month straight, even while working on base putting A/C's in.

Said he pulled about 8-9k a month while over there. Also said they went to one camp that was just being built, ate nothing but MRE's for 2wks straight.

Got some fun Crashhawk rides from place to place and whatnot. Didnt stay longer because he and his boss didnt get along.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:27:12 PM EDT
myob.

but no guns no go.
as an engineer this is why i am not over there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:35:49 PM EDT
If not for having kids, I'd say MYOB.

The guys have kids. If you are a friend you will talk them out of it.

Halliburton-KBR has had more deaths there, particularly among the truck drivers, than in their entire company for many, many years.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:42:38 PM EDT
Thanks for the info guys. I don't think I'll try to influence his decision either way. As his friend I want to give him all the info I can about what to expect.
Top Top