Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 3:09:29 PM EDT
Just north of Houston we have a upper class snob community called The Woodlands.  As the name implies, these luxury houses are nestled in the trees.  There is a pair of NESTING Bald Eagles on a tract of land they intend to tear down and build more houses on.  WTF!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought they weren't allowed to do that.  Is the Bald Eagle no longer on the endangered list?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It's threatend.  The Woodlands Operating Company is trying to go ahead with the clearing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
damn. I bet they'd would look great mounted in my den.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I thought they weren't allowed to do that.  Is the Bald Eagle no longer on the endangered list?

The Bald Eagle was taken off the endangered species list in 1998.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, now only threatened so these cheesdicks can cut down their habitat.  I'm no tree hugger, but shit man, it's a Bald Eagle. A nesting pair with 7 eaglets.  That's messed up...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, now only threatened so these cheesdicks can cut down their habitat.  I'm no tree hugger, but shit man, it's a Bald Eagle. A nesting pair with 7 eaglets.  That's messed up...

Here in my town, we have a Raptor Rehabilitation Center, they take care of injured birds from all over the country, and they have a lot of Bald Eagles you can get within arms length of, they are behind a fence though.  But still, they are very inpressive and majestic birds.  You can't help but swell up with American pride when you look at them.  Then you wonder what the fuck Benjamin Franklin was thinking wanting to make the Turkey the National Bird?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
That's too bad, can they be relocated? I seem to remember eagle tend to stay in one nest for years, anyone know for sure?

If any of you want to see bald eagles, you should head to Winona, Wabasha, or Lake City area of south eastern Minnesota. I was there a couple of years ago and saw several dozen birds, some landing in the trees above my head. I live about 60 miles west of there and have seen a couple bald eagles around here also.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Mmmmm, bald eagle. Taste like chicken.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
My eagle is bald!

Oh shit.

(Sorry, tired as hell, just kinda came out. lol.)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's wrong.  On so many levels.  Especially today.  But I guess assholes don't take the day off to remember Americas dead.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Eagles were only ever endangered in the lower 48, they've always been plentiful in Alaska, as I understand.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's wrong.  On so many levels.  Especially today.  But I guess assholes don't take the day off to remember Americas dead.  

Wow - that was quite a stretch there - care to fill us in on how eating eagles has to do with terrorism?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Gee what ever happened to private property rights?

The developers have probably put down lots of $$$$$$$ to buy the property only to find that the government won't let them use it.  The developers stand to loose that money because of laws that restrict the right to own property.  THAT is Un-American
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
my high school kicked the shit out of them in state a few years back....pussies
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Keep in mind that Ben Franklin wanted the

<-------------------Turkey as the national symbol

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Eagles were only ever endangered in the lower 48, they've always been plentiful in Alaska, as I understand.

Kharn

Last winter, they were pretty plentiful just north of Boise as well.  I remember one instance where we were about 25 miles north of the city and driving along at a nice gentle pace when a baldy starts pacing us for about a mile or two. He (or she) was very close to us and just loafing along with us.

Where this happened, the highway is very close to the Payette River and the bird stayed out over the water and paced us while we motored along.  Every year for the past three years I've been seeing more and more Baldies.

They are soooooooo cool!!! ...and damned big.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The developers have probably put down lots of $$$$$$$ to buy the property only to find that the government won't let them use it.  The developers stand to loose that money because of laws that restrict the right to own property.  THAT is Un-American

If they were smart, they looked into this before buying the land.  They should be aware of the possibilities open to them.  You do various types of mitigation/relocation and usually have to pay for a permit as well.  They'll hire a consultant to make sure all the government regulations are followed before they can proceed.  They'll have to pay a fair amount to get rid of their "problem", but for most of these developers, it is just a tiny drop in the bucket.  Now, if they were to sneak in at night and bulldoze the tree, they would be in serious trouble indeed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to northern Maine near Calais--Bald Eagles seem thicker than crows.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just north of Houston we have a upper class snob community called The Woodlands.  As the name implies, these luxury houses are nestled in the trees.  There is a pair of NESTING Bald Eagles on a tract of land they intend to tear down and build more houses on.  WTF!!!

Yea it pretty un-American to build houses and employ people… get real and quit interfering in other peoples lives.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your screen name is fitting.

Humor. Try it some time moron.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#22]

"Gee what ever happened to private property rights?

The developers have probably put down lots of $$$$$$$ to buy the property only to find that the government won't let them use it. The developers stand to loose that money because of laws that restrict the right to own property. THAT is Un-American"

On the other side of the coin, I looked at property which had a similar "protected area" within the sub division.  Lots which backed up to the protected area sold for a premium due to the additional space behind the house and the privacy it provided.

I asked the agent what would happen to the protected area if the eagles left.  Surprisingly my question was answered honestly.  They would sell the lots and build more houses.  In fact, the infrastructure had been designed to accomodate the additional homes.

Q:  What about the people who paid a premium for the lots because they backed up to the refuge?

A:  Screw em.

Caveat emptor.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea it pretty un-American to build houses and employ people… get real and quit interfering in other peoples lives.

As long as those being employed are AMERICAN and not ILLEGAL

Those upper class snobs wives are probably card carrying MMM and other anti-gun liberals.

Save the Eagles, you'd probably like em better than the people moving in.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:00:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Last winter, they were pretty plentiful just north of Boise as well.  I remember one instance where we were about 25 miles north of the city and driving along at a nice gentle pace when a baldy starts pacing us for about a mile or two. He (or she) was very close to us and just loafing along with us.

Where this happened, the highway is very close to the Payette River and the bird stayed out over the water and paced us while we motored along.  Every year for the past three years I've been seeing more and more Baldies.

They are soooooooo cool!!! ...and damned big.

They get in the approach path to the Boise airport and have had to be relocated. You can see them along the Boise river from Lucky Peak Dam all the way to Oregon. Between the Bald and Golden eagles and Great Blue Herons flying around Idaho can be down right dangerous. We had a Cessna 150 nearly downed by a collision with a white crane that ended up through a windshield and in the pilot's lap. A Cessna 150 cannot maintain altitude with the windscreen collapsed. We have so many Herons that they routinely fly into people's back yards and kill the fish in their ponds for sport and have raised quite a hatered for the species. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been Humpy fishing on the upper Skagit river when the Bald Eagles are out eating.
They are some awesome birds, but DAYUM, they must crap at least half a gallon when they let loose.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as those being employed are AMERICAN and not ILLEGAL

Those upper class snobs wives are probably card carrying MMM and other anti-gun liberals.

Save the Eagles, you'd probably like em better than the people moving in.

That stupidity speaks for it self... get a life, grow up, the class warfare sh*t is way past childish.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.naturegraphics.net/bh628w%20northern%20bald%20eagle.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Anybody who wants to protect this property should either pay the developer fair market value and reimburse them for any development cost or get the hell out of the way.

Put up or shut up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top