Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 3:53:01 PM EDT
I just started a new job this week, and I was just sitting here thinking about my old job.

I didn't hate the job, per se, but the management was awful at my old job.  I realized that at my last job, all I could think about was doing something else that had nothing to do with work.  I never wanted to be there, my head was never in the job.  I remember thinking when I first started my old job "I went to college to do THIS?"  I always dreaded when the boss came around--if he wasn't jumping in your shit, he was giving you a line of bullshit about something.  When I arrived, I couldn't wait till break, then lunch, then quitting time.  Always tense and stressed out.  The job was also generally boring.

My new job is a 180 from the last one, definately glad I jumped ship for it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
When you wake up in the morning and your whole heart sinks because you realize that you have to go to work that day, you might hate your job.

If you start looking forward to the weekend on Sunday morning, you might hate your job.

If you have ever gone into the stall in the bathroom at work just to sob for a while, you might hate your job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Just think about lunch, is good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah...I hit the post topic button before I realized that I really screwed up how I posted it...LOL

1. If you can hardly wait to go home after you punch in for the day...
2. If you wish you could dig a hole at your desk, and pull the hole in after you...
3. If you constantly talk about 'how right' Michael Douglas was in 'Falling Down'...
4. If you lose sleep because your job aggrivates you to no end...
5. If you can't wake up because your job aggrivates you to no end...
6. If you think that 'Falling Down' shold have had a sequel, depicting a job 'kind of like this one'...
7. If you think spending time in prision for assaulting your boss would be worth it...
8. If you would rather go skydiving without a parachute than go to work...
9. If you think that 'Falling Down' should have been a trilogy, with the third one depicting people 'kind of like the people I work with...'
10. If you begin to laugh loudly at your desk for no apparent reason to relieve stress...
11. If your boss tells you he'll fire you if you do something and you ask: "Do you promise?"

You just MIGHT hate your job.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When you wake up in the morning and your whole heart sinks because you realize that you have to go to work that day, you might hate your job.

I've been having this one lately, and I swore that I would never stay in a job that made me feel that way.

Anybody here hiring software developers?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
the waking up in the morning thing is the key
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been having this one lately, and I swore that I would never stay in a job that made me feel that way.

Anybody here hiring software developers?

What is it about your jobs that you guys hate?  I'm curious.

I like solving my own problems, so when I'm in a job where I'm not allowed to do so, and I'm expected to whine and cry to management (or at least someone higher up than I am) and then just sit around and wait for them to solve the problem for me...I just have a hard time dealing with that.  Of course, there's always situations where this is the only appropriate solution, but I'm not talking about those.  That and micro-management...ugh.  That I absolutely cannot take.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
When you waste your shift away in front of a computer, staring at the clock, and pissed that you ate your dinner an hour after getting in.....

Three more months then I'm a free man..
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]
2 words:

"Office Space"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
You wake up praying there is a blizzard outside, and it's July...

You wish for kidney failure so you could spend some more productive time on dialysis...

You tease your dog constantly hoping it will maul you...

You tease your wife constanly hoping she will maul you...

You do everthing wrong in traffic that you can think of hoping someone will "road rage" your ass...

You answer every question at work with "Fuck-you"...

You wish the coffee at the convienence store was hotter so the third degree burns will make you late...

You have a hard time not wanting to light a "smoke" while pumping your gas...

You can't seem to drink enough whiskey at night to keep your buzz going through out the next day...

You could have swore it was Friday by Monday afternoon...

Your dog hates it when you call him "Supervisor" when you kick him...

Your cat really hates it when you stick him in a box with the dog and tell them to "work it out and get back to me"...

You notice everyday at 4:00pm  the guy at the liquor store says with a wink "How was your day?"
as he rings up your $ 50.00 purchase...

You notice that your wife has circled want ads in the local paper like "pillow tester" and "puppy hugger"
and placed it under your bottles of booze...

You envied the guy that pumped out your septic tank the other day...

GM

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I work in a HUGE bureaucracy, in which it doesn't matter if I work 80 hour a week or 20.  I just can't make a difference in the overall success of the company.  I'm looking to get back to a small software startup with fewer than 30 people, where we are fighting for the life of our company.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
.....the local indoor range employees bitch at you and a coworker for using print outs of your supervisor's head for targets. Then after you tell them a couple of stories they understand and tell you to continue
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
You can't get to bed/sleep on Friday because there are only 56 more hours until you have to back at work!

You sit there at your desk and try to find your "Happy Place", because stepping in dog sh*t in your new shoes on the way in, is going to be the Best part of your day!

You look back at all of your years of hard work, dedication, innovation, and loyalty.....As your boss tells you about  how the executive's son's new home/car/yacht/promotion will mean your jobs termination.

Don't even get me started.......

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
tag.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work in a HUGE bureaucracy, in which it doesn't matter if I work 80 hour a week or 20.  I just can't make a difference in the overall success of the company.  I'm looking to get back to a small software startup with fewer than 30 people, where we are fighting for the life of our company.

Same here. This is the biggest pisser of my day job. Couple that with the fact that it is a multinational with dozens of 'special interests' all across the globe trying to protect their pieces of the pie. Home office has 'veto' power and poor understanding of the US market and requirement.

Plus you may have *responsibility* to do something but damned near no one has any friggin *authority* outside of their own department to make things happen and steamroll people...which means you spend most of the week just trying to cajole people into doing what they should be doing anyway.

Then some folks like to delegate critical technical tasks to temporary admin assistants without ever training them properly....and then look surprised when the admins screw it up or forget to do it.

On the other hand I really like the guy I work for, it's been a tremendous learning experience that I probably would not have gotten elsewhere in this area, some really cool travel and projects to work on plus they keep giving me more money.

I now understand the meaning of the term "golden handcuffs"...not to be confused with "golden showers".

Hmmm...on the other hand maybe they're more closely related than I first thought.

If everything goes correctly (investment wise) and I can put up with this for about 10 more years (ACK!   ) I should be able to retire early or at least 'do my own thing'.

(Fingers crossed)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I realized I don't hate it as bad as I thought I did now that I don't have it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I realized I don't hate it as bad as I thought I did now that I don't have it anymore.

I'll tell you what...some jobs are better at Wal-Mart...LOL!  

Seriously...I've had jobs that I wanted out of so bad that I'd quit with a stash of cash and no plan.  

This time I did what I usually do: I lined up another job before I quit my current one.  My new job seems like a really good fit for me so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top